Myia's Bunny Blog

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Myia09 wrote:
I am also upset that such a great show bunny will have his "career" ended, and the fact such a rare breed of rabbit will never be able to continue his great lines!

T
Would a breeder continue his lines if he is aggressive? so sorry the breeder never got back to you, i think it is bad buisness to ignore customers, why do they do things like that? frustrating

It really is a shame that Sheriff was so aggressive. But no matter how typy his body is and how great his lineage is, if he was this aggressive and territorial then he should not be bred period. Neutering is the best thing that can be done at this time. The breeder definitely should have gotten back to you. That was poorly done on their part. And they definitely need to know that they produced such an aggressive animal so that they can figure out how it all happened and who needs to be retired.

Oh, I would have never bred him, because it is obvious the breeder does in fact breed aggresive rabbits.
She tried selling my an aggressive BEW Netherland Doe (Who was a breeder for her)
One of her other English Lops was returned to do biting and other problems on the owners part,
And when I visited her barn, her EL breeders were all standoffish and semi aggresive.

I am just saying it is dissapointing in the general sense.

So, I don't know if I posted this, but I haven't had a vacuum for over a week. James finally bought a 2.5 gallon shop vac, but its too small to suck up everything and just not powerful enough. I tried my hardest though to vacuum some on the poop and other stuff that has been unfortunately accumulating.

I power cleaned the Chinchilla cage. I am constantly in debate witch animal poops more, chinchillas or rabbits. I think its Chins FTW, but their poop is a lot smaller (And drier) so its way easier to deal with. But anyways, I scrubbed the cage down and it looks great, which I always know is a "For now" with messy and destructive chinchillas.

I know rabbits are smart, keen creatures but Chinchillas take the cake when it comes to smart and michevious. A story I love to relay is when once I had a bucket of oats next to the Chinchillas cage..about a couple inches away. Valentine (Chinchillas have "T-Rex" arms..very very short for their body) couldn't reach with his arms or little mouth. So Valentine sticks out his foot (Which are long) and tries to bring the bucket closer using his feet! I watched in amazement as he finally was able to tip the bucket over and some oats spilled into the cage.

Another amazing story is the deal with the Chinchillas cage, a very sturdy METAL cage. I come home one day to find Valentine out of the cage, and I couldn't find out why, until I noticed he chewed on of the bars on the top of the cage, only revealing about a 1 inch gap (literally), but Chinchillas will squeeze through anything and are actually very small in size, its their fur that makes them look so much larger. Anyways, I put Valentine back into his cage and I watch him as he goes and takes the chewed bar and puts it back into place, like it had never been chewed! This little brat and probably been working on chewing the metal bar through and then putting it back into place so no one would notice!

Clever creatures, huh?

Since I have no playpen, and they are no longer are allowed to play in the bathroom (Chewing on cabinets) I decided just to let them free roam for play time with a close eye (Since they are such heavy chewers)It went well, Romeo did chew on my Ikea side table, but that's excusable. The funny thing is, I had the bathroom door and bedroom door (Which are adjacent) closed so they couldn't go in, and Valentine ran down what little hall we do have, and upon seeing me coming his way, goes to run but smacks his face right into the bathroom door! LOL, it was hilarious. He isn't the most graceful of Chinchillas.

I don't know if I have ever posted this, but I am actually allergic to the Chinchillas, well, their dust that is. So a friend of my on the Chinchilla site set me a sample of some dust that is supposed to help with people who have allergies..I tried it but the Chinchillas hated it. Valentine wouldn't even take a dust bath in it. And it didn't make a difference in their coat as Blue Cloud does. So I will just deal..I only really get itchy arms and my nose runs like a faucet, but its worth it!

There must of been something in the air this morning, because both of the bunnies were doing binky 500's today.

First, Kinobe was in Chewys cage while she was out (His cage is really small right now) and was playing with the blanket..and out of nowhere did a popcorn.

Then Chewy (Who always picks up on my emotions) hopped her little butt into the living room..ran at full speed..did a back flip and as soon as she landed, popcorned. It was the most amazing binky I have ever seen! It made my day.

No one has replied to the thread, but I will talk about it here. Kinobe testicles already dropped. I am sure Chewy is not pregnant, but sometimes you never know. They only met with each other twice, and I made sure no mounting happened, but these things only take seconds. I had her spay for May 9th, but now will have to wait the full 32 days, just in case. No, I will not abort the litter unless Chewys health is in jeopardy.

So I am convinced Kinobe is older, which is strange because he is so small and was a pet store bunny (Who usually sells rabbits very young)

We will see. I am angry at myself, but I already have a plan set up, and I am going to keep track of her weight. If she gains, I am going to take her to the vet for him to take a look at her and make sure everything is okay.

Well, I will post more later. Good day!

Unfortunatly, he isn't. He is in actually a chinchilla cage..LOL..that is about 2 1/2 NIC panels long and only 1 1/2 wide. Its really small, but he only spends time in it when I am asleep.

I gave all my panels to Amy, and I only have about 6 total ones, and I am going to build a 2 story cage similar to what Amy has so I can house 4 buns (2 on top, 2 on bottom) I am going to make it 5 panels long by 2 panels.

There are many tempting bunnies out there. Too many if you might say. I found a person with a great Netherland Dwarfs who are Himilayan colored, and I am so in love. But she has this amazing lionhead doe..I mean amazing. Her mane is incredible. But my friend just had sable point lionheads (A litter of 6) and 4 are bucks..and the parents are quite good looking, so she has me on "hold" for a male for Chewbacca. My worry is, even though he is free, I still have to pay for Kinobes nueter too along with his(Don't worry, Chewys spay is coverd) so I told her maybe. We will see.

My main concern in spuetering Chewy and Kinobe right now.
:/

Hi Myia :wave:....I'm gonna try to get back some what-I'm still really busy. Just wanted to say "hi". I'm gonna try to catch up with everything on RO. Lol.

Oh Myia you are in such an awful situation. I hope it all gets sorted for you! I feel for Amy too- I'm hoping everything will work out for you both, and poor Damon too- I hope he finds a wonderful loving home.

Jen

irishbunny wrote:
I would keep Kinobe and Chewy seperate, to be honest, letting them play is an accident waiting to happen ;)

I have to say, I agree. However hard you watch them etc. the 'deed' could still happen.
And as you're going through a slight rocky patch financially, a litter of kits is something you don't really want on your hands! ;)

Are you still thinking of taking Sheriff/Damon/Whatever his name is now back?? Or rehome him?

You don't think Chewy and Kinobe could bond, after they are fixed? If they did, you wouldn't have to worry about getting another one fixed if you get a different friend for Chewy.

I've been thinking a lot of getting another bunny lately too - as a friend for Barnaby since the trio broke up after Berry's stroke. I don't like the thought of Barnaby being alone, but I don't know...for some reason going from 3 to 4 rabbits seems more daunting then when I went from 1 to 3. I'm going to have to think about it a lot, and in the meantime I'm trying to bond Barnaby back to the others.

I hope you're having a good weekend!

Thanks April! I hope things are better with you! We all miss you tons!

And I never said anything about them still having playtime..of course I would seperate them? Seems like commons sense to me, lol.

It does only take a second, but I never let dominance humping happen. And yes, I do know that! But I am still worried!

No, we are rehoming Sheriff, (Sorry, but I will not call him anything else). I just know I will never be able to trust him again. I've got a lot of "You never know.." and "You will.." but I know I won't. Plus, James dosen't want him back after it all (He is a lot more cynical than I am)

I also (And amy agrees) he should probably go to a rabbit only home, because he is a high energy rabbit with a lot of high needs. He also needs a lot more room, someone with not an apartment but with a house and possibly his own room.

My apartment is big enough for a large breed rabbit, but not for one with as high energy as Sherriff. I thought I was going to get a lazy large breed; but he is active and still territorial (So in the aparment it is small enough to "own" everythign)

My apartment is too small for him..I have had 4 dwarfs in this house with no problem, but Sheriff is just too much. Evne with trips to the park, his energy never ceased.

No, I am going to try to have them bond after they are fixed (Kinobes appointment is May 7th) and then if I get the other male, his nueter will be as soon as he is old enough. And I mean as soon.

All my money is going to go straight twoards spays and nueters at this point.

Remember, I start my new client in May (Well, techinically the last week of April, so I go back to full pay the first week of May along with an extra $20 a week) so my financial situation will work out.

I was really happy with just Chewy and Sheriff, but Sheriff was a big bun, and I think that is why. I thought about it, and I want to go back to four (I had four when Miss Kitty and Simba lived with me, and I had Chewy and Pinball)

I am not in a rush to get 4, but since the third is coming up soon (And my decision to take it) I kind of have to decide. Plus, they will all be spayed and nueter as soon as they can, which as you see, the males would the month of may and Chewy in June (I haven't even found nor looked for the fourth rabbit)

So I finally got the hamster food. I kept meaning to get it, but we went to 2 organic stores that didn't have all the needed items (litearlly only had 2-3) and I didn't want to have to jump from store to store. Finally we found one that had most of the things.

What I bought:
1.4 lb of barley
.36 lb Peas
.44 lb of Long Grain Brown Rice
.39 lb Sunflower seeds
.52 lb of Flax seed
.78 lb Lentils (Green)
.99 Millet
.63 Buckwheat
1.11 white long grain
? lb of crushed rosehips

And it cost $11.25, but its a huge amount. Its about 2-3 times more than what a $10 bag of hamster food was costing me, plus I know this is healthier. And I added the rosehips myself from my own supply I had here for the chinchillas.

Need to buy:
Pumpkin seed
quinoa
sesame seed
Red lentils
mung beans

He loved it, all of it. Just gobbled it down! I feel great about it of course!

Myia09 wrote:
Thanks April! I hope things are better with you! We all miss you tons!

And I never said anything about them still having playtime..of course I would seperate them? Seems like commons sense to me, lol.

It does only take a second, but I never let dominance humping happen. And yes, I do know that! But I am still worried!

No, we are rehoming Sheriff, (Sorry, but I will not call him anything else). I just know I will never be able to trust him again. I've got a lot of "You never know.." and "You will.." but I know I won't. Plus, James dosen't want him back after it all (He is a lot more cynical than I am)

I also (And amy agrees) he should probably go to a rabbit only home, because he is a high energy rabbit with a lot of high needs. He also needs a lot more room, someone with not an apartment but with a house and possibly his own room.

My apartment is big enough for a large breed rabbit, but not for one with as high energy as Sherriff. I thought I was going to get a lazy large breed; but he is active and still territorial (So in the aparment it is small enough to "own" everythign)

My apartment is too small for him..I have had 4 dwarfs in this house with no problem, but Sheriff is just too much. Evne with trips to the park, his energy never ceased.

No, I am going to try to have them bond after they are fixed (Kinobes appointment is May 7th) and then if I get the other male, his nueter will be as soon as he is old enough. And I mean as soon.

All my money is going to go straight twoards spays and nueters at this point.

Remember, I start my new client in May (Well, techinically the last week of April, so I go back to full pay the first week of May along with an extra $20 a week) so my financial situation will work out.

I think you are being very sensible. It is so hard to let a beloved...well, member of your family...go. It's heart-wrenching. But you are being very level-headed about it.

I think that is right- Sheriff/Damon should go to a very experienced home, with lots of time, space, and maybe no other animals. And I think you are being great with the situation. Some people would just take him back because of their own needs, without thinking it could send him back to his old, unhappy ways (for both him and you).

Good luck, and don't feel too guilty about it. It's hard not to, but the only thing you should feel guilty about is if you didn't have his best interests at heart, which you clearly do.

Good luck with it all, Myia :)

Well I think everyone should put "Experianced with aggressive rabbits" instead of saying "Experianced home", lol.

I have worked with rabbits for a long time. But I wasn't prepared for my large pet rabbit to become so aggressive. This wans't just the nips Amy is experiancing..Sheriff was a terror with me. I can't help but think if he acted that way to anyone besides a true rescue, they would feel the same way. The difference is, Amy has more space than I do to deal with a large, entergenic, aggressive rabbit.

I think it should also be stated that I did work with Sheriff over a month myself, and he wasn't ready to be nueterd then. And things never got better, they got worse.

I did do what I feel what is best for Sheriff...he needs a special home, and that is not even Amy's. Amy is just a foster mom because my resources here were compeltley gone and run out, and Sheriff was making life here miserable.

If I had the choice, I would have kept him, nueter him, and rehomed him myself. But his aggression was too far for me to deal with it.

I appreciate your kind words; losing Sheriff has been hard, and the process harder than I even imagined it would be.

I think it should also be stated on the Sheriff/Damon thing Sheriff is also tattooed in his ear.. another reason I don't think his named should be changed..but its whatever.

Myia09 wrote:
Well I think everyone should put "Experianced with aggressive rabbits" instead of saying "Experianced home", lol.

I have worked with rabbits for a long time. But I wasn't prepared for my large pet rabbit to become so aggressive. This wans't just the nips Amy is experiancing..Sheriff was a terror with me. I can't help but think if he acted that way to anyone besides a true rescue, they would feel the same way. The difference is, Amy has more space than I do to deal with a large, entergenic, aggressive rabbit.

I think it should also be stated that I did work with Sheriff over a month myself, and he wasn't ready to be nueterd then. And things never got better, they got worse.

I did do what I feel what is best for Sheriff...he needs a special home, and that is not even Amy's. Amy is just a foster mom because my resources here were compeltley gone and run out, and Sheriff was making life here miserable.

If I had the choice, I would have kept him, nueter him, and rehomed him myself. But his aggression was too far for me to deal with it.

I appreciate your kind words; losing Sheriff has been hard, and the process harder than I even imagined it would be.

I think it should also be stated on the Sheriff/Damon thing Sheriff is also tattooed in his ear.. another reason I don't think his named should be changed..but its whatever.

Okay....I don't know quite what I said to upset you :( I thought I was being very reasonable, undestanding, and applauding you for how you are dealing with the situation.

I'm very sorry if I did upset you. I honestly didn't mean to.
I said 'to a very experienced home' implying a person who is very experienced with rabbits- hence can deal with a very aggressive bunny. As the thread is about an aggressive rabbit, I assumed that it would be assumed that when someone says 'a very experienced home' they are clearly talking about in regard to the aggression management?
Noone is saying you aren't experienced, and noone could possibly think that- look how many well trained, wonderful pets you have?

I also don't think his name should be changed, for the reason that his name is Sheriff. That's his name. Same as mine is Jen, and yours is Myia. I wouldn't change my name now....
And, what was stated in another thread, it is like changing a young child's name to something completely different. In my humble opinion.

:hug: Don't take things to heart so much. You couldn't possibly be anything other than a committed, experienced, loving and top owner, just from the fact that you have soo many brilliantly cared for, happy, healthy pets!

I wasn't?!
Man, I must come off really bad to people who don't know me!! This is like the third time! I am really sorry Jen! I wasn't upset at all! lol! I understood what you were saying!

I was just pointing out a lot of people keep telling me in whatever context about me not being "experianced" and sometimes it does come off bad! I guess I am just too prideful. But I do take a lot of pride of my knowledge, care, and dedication to care and research!

In fact, I was trying to agree with you but elaborate more!

I am really sorry. I guess I am just abrasive writer :p

And if it wasn't clear, I was trying to thank you for being so nice and understanding! I dont think people understand such nice words do help me a lot (Since I have also got nasty replies)

And for the name thing, it is Amy's choice, but it does upset me. I can't tell you why, but it upsets me a lot. I don't think it make any differnce if he hears "No sheriff!" I think he just knows that he is Sheriff. And he has answerd to his name. But I don't know. It is up to the new owner who gets him! And since Amy said "Damon" wasn't sticking, I think he should at least be referred to Sheriff not "Big bun" a type of generic "Hey, kid" thing. IDK. :/

Well you are going through a really tough and stressful time, anyone can see that, so if your posts are a little sharp then honestly no worres ;).
I may have taken it wrongly.

The whole thing has been incredibly confusing, and I'm sure we've all thought differently from time to time about what is best for Sheriff, but ultimately you just have to do your best (as in....the owner/decision-maker for Sheriff).

If you were an inexperienced owner, you wouldn't have mansions for your Chinchillas (which obviously cost a hell of a lot), lovely NIC pens for your buns, well behaved animals who love you and are healthy and happy, and your life revolving around your animals.
I don't actually understand how you could cope with so many!! And want more!!! But you seem to cope very well, so why not?

:)

Latest posts

Back