My Zoo Cru

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Lauren :)

I take Harvey to see Dr Stewart at the Bird and Pet Clinic in Roseville. It's a little out of the way from me and a little pricey, but definitely worth it. She helped save his ear and work with my budget. Plus I can tell she really love animals.
She knows what she is doing. Plus the clinic does see rabbits often. I went to one place in Rancho Cordova that I would not recommend going to, that I took Harvey to first.

You are very welcome :) and good luck :)

On a Harvey related note. I got his new NIC enclosure made last night and I have to say I am not fond of zip ties haha. Of course I got a thump when I moved his old cage to start set up of his new home. So I don't have pictures yet but I made it two panels high, which I am hoping he will not try to jump. I see him thinking and plotting over it. But he made it thru the night with no escapes (I didn't put a roof on it... yet). AND when I let him out this morning he didn't foot flick me like he usually does. I'm taking that as good sign he likes his new digs. Now I just need to set up a hide for him that doesn't give him a step up to jump out. I really rather he didn't hurt himself. So I will see how he did while I was at work. Not that I worry to much if he escaped unharmed, other than he'd eat the cat food and be able to explore the closet which is off limits haha.

Watching wits with a rabbit. I think I'm losing. Aaah!

My oh so brillant plan to get Harvey to go where I want with treats and a shake of the bag is an epic fail when I need it haha. I had to bring him every day for 5 days to the vet for injections last week. The first day, the day of his appointment, I lured him over with a promise of banana chips and made a mad grab at him to get in the carrier. I know not the best idea but he didn't want to willingly go in. Of course after that day he gives me a look when I shake his treat bag. Not gonna happen. Now even tho all his injections are done and he's done with being mad at me he still won't approach me with the treat bag. He's certain that I'm up to something haha. Sooo now instead of getting him to walk into his enclosure he runs from me. Aaaah Harvey that now means I have to pick you up. Which you hate. It took me a good 15 minutes to round him up this morning. Made me a little late to work. But I am getting better at picking him up. He still hates it.

Well, more talking to myself haha.

AAaah Harvey has decided that 7am is a good time to make a whole lot of noise hoping I will let him out. Sorry bud, you're not getting out until my alarms goes off.

And onto non-bunny pets, I haven't taken any recent photos of my geckos. I haven't even taken a picture at all of my new little girl I got back around Halloween.
Anyway this is Edward, or just Ed:
edward-1.jpg

My big boy. He is a low grade high yellow or a sort of normal colored leopard gecko. I got him in 2005.

This is Mr. Nigel Murry:
murray.jpg

I didn't want to bug him too much since he isn't feeling too well. He is a SHTCTB. If you are looking at that like this :? It means he is a super hypo tang carrot tail baldy. Yeah that's a mouthful haha. I got him in 2007.
Here's a picture from a few years ago:
coheed6.jpg

And yes he is also a Leopard Gecko like Ed.

And lastly. My Sunglow female, name pending:
sola.jpg

I was thinking I like the name Arrietty for her. :) She is less than a year old. Her birthday is in July some time.

Never knew geckos came in so many different colors. So interesting. Every time I go to the pet store for supplies for the buns, I see the reptiles. The more I see them, the more fascinating they become. I doubt I will ever have one, but I think they are definitely interesting pets. Unique like owning a rabbit.

Thanks for sharing pics of your geckos!

K:)

Thanks Karen :)

I love reptiles. Just something about them. I want to trykeeping dart frogs some day.

But yes Leopard Geckos come in lots of different colors. My group is a very small sample of the colors. There are three different groups of albinos, which can be grouped with other traits. Like my little girl there is an albino without the spots on her body. I don't like most albinos. But I love the sunglows. Ideally she shouldn't have had spots on her head, like Murry has no spots. Eventually I'd like another Murphy Patternless.

Oddly enough I do get Geico jokes. Go figure haha.

Ssooooooo I've been a little distracted with my newest ward:
ginger.jpg

X3 I am way excited ... anyway her name is Ginger and I'll share her story as soon as I have a moment to sit down :)

Aaaah yes I haven't really touched this blog in a while now. Anyway I've been taking care of Ginger, my mom's horse, now that she is closer to me than my mom. Now poor Ginger has had a rough time. My mom got her several years back, a sort of rescue kind of thing. This place she is at now will be the fourth place my mom has had Ginger at. The second place my mom boarded Ginger at the lady who owned the place was a hoarder. My mom while she was there kept an eye out for the other horses, keeping on top of this lady with basic things like the horses needing their hooves trimmed (they would get bad). Earlier this year my mom had surgery and was counting on this lady to feed Ginger when she couldn't drive. For whatever reasons, the lady didn't feed Ginger much if anything and Ginger got skinny (much skinner than that photo I've been told). So Ginger was moved to another place, stalled while she gained some weight and then turned out to pasture with other horses. That place was nice but not the ideal situation for Ginger. She gets bullied away from her food easily. So my mom decided to move her to the place near me that was highly recommended as a retirement place for rescues and retired race horses.
This place is great. The owner is nice and knows what she is doing. Ginger has gained weight and made a buddy named Surprise, who's Ginger's shadow. They are very cute together. Sooo I'm learning about taking care of a horse. It's a very new experience for me being around horses often. Such big animals. oooh but I love it. I start riding lessons on Weds! Not on Ginger; she'll probably won't be ridden any more. She's an old horse and she's there just to be a horse so to speak. No pressure to expected to have a purpose for people.

On to bunny news! Tomorrow I will have had Harvey for a year! :toast: Man what a year. It started out rocky and I almost thought I would have to rehome him. But the little guy has taught me so much about rabbits and I am so much more comfertable around them. Harvey made me so nervous at first. I was worried about him being fragile. I was worried about getting bit. But man do I love the little guy. He nips but never bites. He grooms me. He gets happy to see me and he makes me laugh. He's such a character.

Anyway I will post more pictures later of Ginger and the rabbit and Hawaii. While I was in Hawaii Harvey started shedding and he looked way scruffy when I got him. He looks much better now, if a little scruffy still.

Emily,

Congratulations on that one year anniversary with Harvey!

Excited for you on your new experience with horses. Had such a passion for them when younger. Beautiful, big animals. Can't wait to hear how the riding lessons go.

K

Aww yay for the one year anniversary! Glad you stuck it out through the rough beginning. Rabbits are hysterical, huh? I laugh every day at Agnes. I think to myself, she's probably good for my health since laughing is a stress reliever ;)

Glad Ginger the horse is being taken care of now by you :)

Thank you all :)

Riding lesson went very well. I'll a little rusty but I did really well for not riding regularly in 9 years. But man am I sorrrrrrrrrrrrreeeee! heh. I need a hot tub. It was fun and I have another lesson next week and once I am a lot more comfortable back on a horse I can start riding on my own.

So Harvey has gotten into a habit of zoning in on his oats first thing when I let him out. And the smart little bugger knows which container they are in too. He'll start tugging the lid off even before I can get to it. Try and distract him with the tub of pellets he knows that's not where the good stuff is. haha. I'm thinking I need to do some training with him. I think he might be getting bored with the regular bunny stuff. Or he's just messy and destructive normally. Some days he isn't and then other day he has to tear up all paper within sight. In fact the cardboard box I gave him months before I left for Hawaii he didn't touch, the second I am gone he has chewed a good sized hole in the back in a matter of days. Oh and tore up the grass matt I gave him that he had been ignoring.

Oh and I got the promotion and transfer I was hoping for :) 13 days and counting haha. On monday I get to find out whether or not my apartment floor needs to be tore up to find the pipe that is leaking. Fun stuff. Everyone send out good thoughts that it isn't my apartment that the leaky pipe is under! I'd have to find places for all the animals and it'll just be a hassle.

Glad to hear the riding lessons went well. Hoping the soreness goes away. As you ride more, it will get better. You are using muscles you haven't used for 9 years. But I bet it was worth the soreness. Truly loved when I rode.

Poor Harvey really missed you when you were gone. That's what I got out of the chewing of the cardboard house he ignored and the straw mat. And sounds like he wants to do more with you. You should definitely try to teach him some tricks. Use the oats he loves so well. I think it will do you both good and strengthen that bond.

Good thoughts are now being sent to you by the Z-Tribe that it's not your apartment pipes leaking.

K

Yeah I definitely got he missed me even if he did ignore me for the better part of an hour when I did finally get home. Oh and him trying to play with one of my cats is about the cutest thing ever. I really wish I had the space to get him a bun friend. I was teaching him to spin with banana chips but he got so excited/distracted by food he'd mob me instead of focus haha.

Ooooh yeah I love riding. I got to ride a chestnut gelding named Romeo. Sweet boy. Didn't like going too fast. hahah you really had to urge him to get to a trot.

Thank you Karen :) And all your buns!

Sooooo several crazy days later haha. Just a quick update. Had my apartment looked at for the leaking pipe, which mysterously stopped leaking after they had been looking for it for a few hours. Merlin enjoyed the attention tho haha.

My car had a coolant leak, which I've been running around today getting it fixed. 7 hours later and late for work it is fixed. Bad tubes.

My second riding lesson was on a smaller horse named Jake. Trot wasn't as smooth as Romeo's. But this time I am not as sore! I took something as soon as I got home and hopped in the pool which felt wonderful after spending the day outside in 109+ degree weather.

Harvey is my "helper" in the kitchen, which really all he does is get underfoot and lick/nip my toes hoping for a treat. This time I was making instant chocolate pudding and I'm sometimes really clumsy. Of course Harvey's right underfoot again, even tho he knows he can't have pudding. As I go to pour the milk in Harvey starts licking my toes (I know a little gross), which tickles then he finishes off with a nip to my big toe. I look down and there is my white rabbit spotted with chocolate pudding powder all over his back. hahah my broken chocolate netherland dwarf. I know cheesy. He didn't even notice.

Wow, well I haven't looked at this in ages.

HI!

Anyway Harvey's doing great (had a bout of stasis a few months ago, that was scary). Cats are doing great. Lost one of my geckos this summer. Sad but he wasn't doing too good anyway. I got to see a rabbit show in the summer. Got too see flemish giants and french lops in person. I need a big rabbit haha. Eventually.
Riding is going wonderfully. I love it. I need a horse I can ride that is mine haha. My trainer has a rescued Dutch Warmblood in mind for me. She is such a sweet girl. Once she recoups a little and gains more weight I'll have a lesson on her to see if we are a good fit and hopefully it'll work out.

Have just loved reading all about Harvey, he´s such a howl. You have had a busy year and he´s had his ups and downs but seems to be doing really well with you.

Love the geckos, they are so cute, shame that you´ve lost one but good that you´re back on a horse now. I used to ride but haven´t had the time in the last few years.

Rabbits are indeed so comical sometimes and do the darnedest things which you totally don´t expect but I laugh at mine every day as well especially when they do something they´re not supposed to and just look at you with that innocent face saying "hey, what are you looking !!!".

Look forward to seeing more of them all soon.

Wow, I'm really bad at keeping up with this.

Harvey's turned into a snuggle bun! Well sort of. Only when he wants to. But eeeeee it is just about the most wonderful thing ever when he does want to snuggle. It doesn't last long but I'll take what I can get. He sat on my chest and let me rub his face. Totally settles down. Then it's my turn and I get licked all over my face. My darling little boy, haha when he's not terrorizing Fatty.

Ooooh and why I haven't been around much.

giselle5 by Magpie8203, on Flickr

That is Giselle, the dutch warmblood I mentioned earlier. I've since adopted her. And I'm in love haha. She's my sweet girl. My love, my salvation. 20 years old but still has a lot of go. Loves to jump so I am learning to jump, eek. Not sure yet if I can get her to calm down enough to be a trail horse. She gets excited and nervous at the same time and wants to run and when she runs it's fast and a little scary haha.

Oh, I'm envious! I miss my Bear, Quarter horse! Giselle is a beauty! Congratulations!

Latest posts

Back