My Vet Experience

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malexis

Reaction score
My rabbit was having icky eyes, they were wet with a clear liquid so i took him to the vet. They gave us some kind of drops to put in the eyes (i can update with name later) but his eyes just got worse. Then he started to sneeze, he sounded like a person with a stuffy nose, his eyes were crusty, and the liquid was now a milky color.

So i came on here and posted a topic asking what medications a vet would be given to a rabbit with pasteurella. I got a few replies and was told to PM Randy (ra7751) because he would be able to help me more in depth. Since then him an i have been talking a lot about good medications, the side effects, harmful medications, and about the vet.

He was getting worse, he would have little sneeze attacks at 5am and scare me so badly because she wouldn't stop sneezing. My mom and i called the vet to let them know we were going to bring him in.

By this time i had gotten the book Rabbit Health in the 21st century by a very nice user on here, the author of the book. I read that book front to back and learned a lot through that. I also went through all of Randy and My PM's and took a whole bunch of notes.

We went to the vet and waited for a while. We got called in and my mom and i talked to the vet and told him what is happening. We told him that the drop she gave him before didn't work at all, and he was in fact getting worse. He looked into his eyes, nose and mouth with the light thingy (sorry i don't know what its called.) and listened to his breathing with the stethoscope(?) He said he was breathing very hard and that was not normal. He also said that he had a infection. He left and then finally came back, he told us that he wanted to do an X-ray and it would cost $85. But no matter how bad the infection was he still wanted to give him the same meds, which made no since but we opted out of the X-ray.

So he came back and told us he was going to give him an infection and some oral meds to send home with us.I asked what the injection was and after asking about three times he told me baytril, so i was fine with that. When asking him what the drops were he said Cepha-drops, i was a little confused as to why he would need them. He left the room once again, maybe to look in some kind of book or the internet :/ I looked into my notebook and clearly written on the second page was writen Cepha-drops: Not Give Orally.

The Vet came back again and i told him that you are not supposed to give a rabbit Cepha-drops orally. He told me that he has given many rabbits Cepha-drops and it worked just fine, he told me that the book(?!?!) said it was okay. But i told him there was no way he was giving my rabbit the drops, he wanted to see where i got my info but of course i didn't print it out. He left again, probably to look online to see why i was saying this.

Finally he came back and told me he would give him an injection of baytril and some oral baytril to take home. I was fine with this because i know for a fact that this is okay for him.

After the shot my mom and i were in the front of the office waiting for them to bring out the baytril and the vet came out once again trying to prove himself telling me the 4 meds they usually give for this type of infection and i guess cepha-drops are one of them. He talked for atleast 10 minutes trying to tell me all about the meds that he knows a rabbit would take

So i got home and let grasshopper get comfortable, sleeping in my bed:pand went ahead and PM'd Randy. I told him my story only shorter lol, and his first sentence in his reply was: DO NOT GIVE THE CEPHA DROPS!!!!! He gave me links to show that it truly was bad and could cause bad side effects.

My reason for writing this is to show you that you need to do your research.Not all vets are knowledgable about rabbits,thats whyyou should know what the vetmght do and know whatshe/he should not do.If it weren't for Randy i may have taken those drops, gave them to grasshopper, and who knows what... But because i knew what i was talking about, knew about the unsafe meds, and trusted my gut; i along with Randy saved grasshoppers life. Don't ever be afraid to ask questions, i felt bad asking tons of questions because i was sure that Randy had other things to do, but since i was willing to learn he was willing to teach me and we saved my bun from being given unsafe meds. Thanks Randy!

I know this is long, but Randy thought that it might help you guys save your rabbits life. Im not trying to say that all vets are bad, but still do your research and trust your gut. I hope i can help you guys.

-Morgan :)

Grasshopper; one of my favorite pictures!

Bunandrat010-1.jpg

Thank you for sharing that. It never hurts to get another opinion and do research on your own, especially with an animal that is so frequently misunderstood. I'm so glad Grasshopper is safe in your hands. Is he doing better? He is a real cutie.

Thanks. He doesnt seem to be doing better yet, but it hasnt been lon since he had the shot so we should know it probably a day or two. I'll keep ou all updated! Yes, im glad that i did research, it really helped in the long run

I am really glad that you posted your experiences.

I totally agree that every rabbit owner must learn as much as possible about rabbit care and medicine to protect their rabbit from vets .

Many vets say they know about rabbits and "blah blah blah" because they don't want to look ignorant when they are truly uneducated about rabbit medicine.
The best policy is foran owner to learn as much as possible; it is only then that YOU have control over treatments ordered and/or meds

Knowledge is power.

I am so glad that two experts like Kathy and Randy helped you so much !!!

Kathy Smith has published some outstanding books addressing medical treatment of rabbits. I highly recommend her publications!

Pam

Knowledge really is power!
Im so glad that i took my time to learn all that i could, i could not bare the thought of losing him. Im just glad that its my choice as to what grasshopper takes because now that i know what to do i can follow my gut if i know something it wrong.
Up in my post you can see that i have Rabbit health in the 21st century and read a lot of it. It really helpped me a lot.
And yes im so glad i had Randy and Kathy to help me, i dont think i could have done it without their help

I just ordered one of Kathy's books and am very excited to get it and start reading it.

Reading your post concerns me just because I know some basic meds are ok and some aren't. But what about when you go to the vet and they recommend something you know nothing about? It wasn't one of the meds you researched before going. Do you trust your vet and take the med. It especially concerns me when they want to give the drug right then because you can't go home and research it. What would be great would be to have a book listing all safe and unsafe medications. Is there something like that? Do you think we could start a thread in the library that lists what meds members who have experience feel are safe and unsafe? Then members could print that out and take it with them to the vet.

Amy27, Thats actually a really good idea. I would love a paper that says whats bad for them(and the effect of why its bad) and also hat is good for them (and what it is used for.) Does anyone know of anything like this?

It actually just so happened to be luck that Randy mentioned the Cepha-drops as an example of mis-lead information.

From now on though i told my mom that he can't give my rabbit anything i dont know about, i will go home and research it and make sure it is okay before i allow him to give grasshopper anything any more. Now if we ever find a rabbit savy vet then i may be a little more trusting.

Even if we built the library thread over a long period of time it could save a bunny's life if people used it. I know it would be a lot of work though. I am not sure how my much I could help as I don't have that much knowledge on it but I would be willing to do some research and do what I can to help.

I also think it would be great to have why it is bad, what effects it can have, and what it is used for. If there is something like that already out there written by a good rabbit savy person or vet I would buy it.

I also try to research a med the vet gives me. What concerns me the most is when they want to give an injection or something right there at the vets. I either have to trust them or tell them I want to research it first.

Maybe someone can chime in, is there already a thread like that? If not i really think someone should make a stick so we can add all of it and then compile it all onto one post to make it easier to print. If there is already a book, i would buy it too

As for with the injection, right now with my current vet i would not trust him giving something to grasshopper so i would go home and research it. If you get a bad feeling in your gut then dont do it, go home post on the forum like crazy, research and wait until you find out if it is good or bad.

http://www.medirabbit.com/Unsafe_medication/Unsafe_drugs_main.htm
This is a list of drugs and there are other drug list ... but these are the genric names for ex. the generic name for Revolution is selamectin . the generic name for baytril is enrofloxicin
so you need to find the other trade names and know both of them

i think that the problem with a vet is usually in the initial stages. you really don't know what he knows or doesn't know. That is where you need to ask a lot of questions.
I agree that it is difficult to stop an injection being given at an office because you don't trust the vet.

if you can get a referral from someone who takes really good care of their rabbits and really trust their vet that is a good way to go or get a referral from a rabbit rescue or HRS or some other rabbit affiliated association.
You also cannot learn everything at once. You just have to plug along learning as you go.

Once the vet has proven over time that he is competentI don't believe that people need to maintain that same sense of vigilance as in the beginning.

Oh hey! Randy actually gave me that link a little while ago, is that the only once that are known to be harmful? The Cepha-Drops almost given to grasshopper are also called Cephalexin which is on that list...
I've already started to look around for another vet, trust me i dont want to stay with this guy..

Angie, Yeah i totally understand what you mean. If i had a vet that i had known for a while and knew that he was knowledgable about rabbits i wouldnt have to research so much and stay on top of whats being used. This is just kind of a warning for people going to a new vet, or a non-rabbit vet.

Malexis wrote:
Up in my post you can see that i have Rabbit health in the 21st century and read a lot of it. It really helpped me a lot.
Another Kathy Smith book I highly recommend is "When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care". I've read it cover to cover and found it to be the best rabbit resource I've ever found.

slavetoabunny wrote:
Malexis wrote:
Another Kathy Smith book I highly recommend is "When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care". I've read it cover to cover and found it to be the best rabbit resource I've ever found.
Okay, thanks! I'll look into it :D Is it avaliable at stores or do i need to order it online

hey im really sorry.... really. i was crying..
could some on may be pm me the safe meds and unsafe ones....
i would love to know more to help my buns..

Irishlops, thanks a lot! I would of cried if i didnt know what i was doing, but as angie said knowledge is power and because i had power i wasnt so scared.

There are two links on here that have safe and unsafe meds on them, but it is the medical name, not the generic name such as baytril. So you will have to do a little research to see what it is.

ok i def will do that. but i see no links???
maybe its my laptop... or is it the links. way way above?

Latest posts

Back