My Rabbits Urine has a strong smell?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZozolovesBleu

Reaction score
So currently my bunny Bleu Has to be in a cage for a while, she does get to run around my room during the daytime she also has her own room but it’s being reconstructed and painted and I do not want the fumes to hurt her so a cage is the only option, she has bedding in her cage but it smells pretty bad from her urine and has a very strong smell to it I’ve never noticed it until just recently so I’m thinking this has to be something that just started.

She just turned three in April she doesn’t have any health problems she’s extremely calm and she is also spayed. I just cleaned her glands because I thought that may have been the issue butit was barely anything and didn’t have the same smell.

Is this smell something I should be worried about? Her vet is about an hour and a half away from me so I don’t really want to rush and take her there if it’s not necessary. I also know that animals have all different types of smells but it just smells like her urine just has a really distinct strong smell, does it change as they get older? Should she eat more fresh veggies ? If it’s something that’s normal then I’ll just have to get used to the smell and I’ll be fine with that but I just want to make sure that my little Cookie Bun is alright! :) I attached a picture of her in her room before it’s painted and reconstructed:)

Attachments

• D22225FC-3832-4943-8BA4-6E4C4C69FC57.jpeg
    D22225FC-3832-4943-8BA4-6E4C4C69FC57.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
Does it smell strongly of ammonia? Is she having any signs of having a urine soaked bum or dribbling urine? What is her bedding litter box set up like(photo would help too)? What kind of litter/bedding do you use and how often do you clean it? Have you checked around the cage for leakage or urine spots that might be outside of the litterbox, and that's what is smelling? Also what is her diet like(pellets, hay, veggies, etc) and is there any alfalfa in it? Has anything new been added or changed in her diet?

I am not sure if it’s an ammonia smell but it has a very distinctive smell. I usually clean her cage maybe every 4 or 5 days and I don’t use cleaning products or anything like that. and her bottom looks pretty clean , not wet at all or dirty , I use pine litter , she gets Timothy hay, and just one small scoop of pellets , I do not give her Veggies regularly, she also has a really big water dish with fresh water. I do give her papaya treat this week maybe like 3 days in a row but it’s very small pieces and she’s had it before. In the cage she is in now she uses the upper left corner to go. Also where her litter is I did use some leftover aspen bedding but it’s only in that corner.

Attachments

• C2DC1DB1-D5A0-4C09-BFB7-C88723746B03.jpeg
    C2DC1DB1-D5A0-4C09-BFB7-C88723746B03.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8B5519E0-6118-4B68-BBE1-8EA61E9FE494.jpeg
    8B5519E0-6118-4B68-BBE1-8EA61E9FE494.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 2
Ok, so probably not a UTI, and not excess protein in the diet. It may just be your litter set up. I haven't ever found shavings to be very good at urine absorption and odor control. The best litter and litter box set up I've found is using wood pellet litter with a layer of hay over that to create a cushion. The wood pellets drain the urine away from the rabbit, and absorbs and contains the urine and urine smell really well. Then the layer of hay over that also helps reduce the odor. That's what I would suggest trying.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

Latest posts

Back