My rabbit's poop is soft but I can't feel any gas in his stomach.I only gave him carrots and cabbage. What does this means?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since he was little, I just fed him leafy green vegetables or carrots. Yesterday, I tried to feed him pellets but he just taste it so i just fed him cabbage and carrots. This morning I saw his feces like this and he does not respond or run. Seems lethargic.Just walk a little. What should I do😭. I also try to massage his stomach a little.

Unlimited hay is a necessity for rabbit health at all ages. It is nonnegotiable and the lack of hay is almost certainly why your rabbit is unwell. Decent quality pellets should be offered, but a rabbit WILL NOT LIVE without hay and water.

Typically, it is not in the rabbit's best interest to feed leafy greens when they are very young and carrots should only be a treat for an adult rabbit.

Go get hay ASAP and call a vet, it sounds like your rabbit is at extremely high risk of GI stasis, which is often fatal.

Your bunny stomach have been slowing down. If you can’t get hay any fresh grass kind will help your bunny but it’s something you will later need to take care of.

You can try to get baby gas drops (actove substance simethicone) and massage the stomach if you can’t get to any vet or find anyone that can help you. I can understand it will be hard to find anyone, depending where you are.

You will need to force feed your bunny with syringe. So your bunny can get water and food, what kind of pellets do you have? if it’s a good pellets kind you can soak them in water and make a porridge substance to force feed with. Massaging the stomach and making the bunny move will help with gut movements.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT HE HAS HAY ALL THE TIME!
THAT IS WHY YOUR RABBIT IS ACTING WEIRD.

I thought its okay since years passed that he is okay with it. I'm so regretful now. Thank you to you all for replies

YOU HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT HE HAS HAY ALL THE TIME!
THAT IS WHY YOUR RABBIT IS ACTING WEIRD.
I would like to mention that OP is in the Philippines. I don’t think it is fair to have such an approach to someone who is asking for help. They have been misinformed and uneducated about rabbit care but i don’t think it is fair to tell someone like that.

@aegyo Your rabbit sounds sick. Rabbits need a lot of fibre to keep their digestive tracts moving. Following @Hermelins advice will be best, and if you can, you should desperately try to get your rabbit to the vet.

If you can get your rabbit grass hay, offer it your your bunny. You can also feed fresh grass from garden. I would stop feeding carrots because they are high in sugar and cabbage isn’t very good for rabbits either because it can cause build ups of gas. Slowly transition to dark green leafy vegetables such as romaine lettuce, pak choy or herbs. If you can find hay based pellets for your bunny, you can also feed those. Be careful swapping your rabbits food over, in case it makes it sick.

I’d stress following Hermelins advice if you can and definitely try to get your rabbit to the vet.

I also think ,it may be because of sudden change in his food.*cause I feed him a little pellets*. I sometimes let him run in the backyard full of grasses but I'm afraid some type of grass there was not good for rabbit but he ate some of them. I once tried to fetch fresh different grass but he just ignore it😔. He's too used to those foods I fed him since he is little.

Top 1 food I gave him is Water spinach because those who sell him told us.Thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate it

Water spinach is the most frequent next is cabbage then sometimes strips of carrots. Watermelons,apples,banana but this Im not always gave him this because some told me that is just for treat

THe only problem with fresh grass and weeds is if they don't get them regularily, like, if you let him out in the garden just once a week - his digestion can't adjust then. There are no grasses that are harmful, and very few toxic plants that actaully can do any harm. They know prety well what to avoid when they have the chance to do so regularily.

Everything that is new gets ignored. Then they take a test nibble, if that dosn't have any ill effect, they try a little more. That's the way rabbits react to new stuff. I needed months to get some of my rabbits eat pumpkin.

As been said, rabbits need a lot of fiber, human food does not have that. Rabbits are better off with greens we can't digest. Vegetables and fruit can be a small part of their diet, but as a staple food they are too rich. It's like if we would only eat meat, and nothing else - will work for some time, but sooner or later there'll be problems.

If your rabbit never had grass and hay, I would have his teeth checked. Those are alwasy growing, and need lots of chewing the right stuff to wear down properly.

Water spinach is the most frequent next is cabbage then sometimes strips of carrots. Watermelons,apples,banana but this Im not always gave him this because some told me that is just for treat

Ah okay thank you. I’ve found a website that explains a rabbits diet and welfare, with the writer living in the Philippines.
Here is the link: BUNNY PH

It has a list of veterinarians and places where you can buy hay.

Ah okay thank you. I’ve found a website that explains a rabbits diet and welfare, with the writer living in the Philippines.
Here is the link: BUNNY PH

It has a list of veterinarians and places where you can buy hay.

I've done reading the part about their food. So I was doing it wrong from the start. I felt sorry for my Aegi he is my very first rabbit. Thank you for the info sir

Latest posts

Back