My rabbit's nail fell off!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie D.

Reaction score
Help my rabbit's nail fell off and I don't know why. I have two rabbits and they are about 6 months old and both of them are missing a claw on one leg of each rabbit. I saw one of the nails hanging off of one of them and I tore it off and everything around it was already dry and there was no blood or anything. Please help me this has never happened before and I just don't want it to get infected or anything. Both of them seem to be acting fine and everything. I just signed up for an account because I use this website a lot and i figured now is a better time than ever to sign up. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
They do live together but they both don't have any flaky or hair loss, Also the male is neutered and the female is spayed.

Do your bunnies live outdoors or have anything they can get stuck into? How often do you trim the nails?

The bunnies that often break their nails have been my outdoors bunnies. It often happens when they scratch the wire of the hutch and when they dig. I’ve had at least 5 broken nails this year. Even though I trim them every month and keep them short. As long it’s not infected or seem to cause any pain it will be okay.

It might also be how my bunnies jump in and out from the hutch 🧐 I have never truly explored why my outdoor bunnies always break their nails and when they live indoors it stops. So the only difference is that they can freely dig, have the hutch wire and jump in and out from the hutch.

I trim the nails each month and a half and I have them in an enclosure where they dig and run around. I also don't think it is infected and they are acting normally so it isn't causing them pain. I think it may be when they dig in their enclosure.

Do you have a wire bottom cage? My bunny had this happen when he got his nail caught in the wire. Make sure to trim them regularly

Latest posts

Back