My Rabbits HATE ME Now :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talontuner

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just moved into a new apartment with my two female/spayed dwarf rabbits. Well I've heard of some stress in animals after a move but this is ridiclous! They used to be very loving and would stand up to greet me and to be let out. Now when i come home they are cowering in a corner together as if i was going to attack them or something:?. Then after i set then after i set them down from being picked up they jump around stomping their feet at me as if saying, "get the hell away from me." Has anyone ever heard of or had very angry rabbits after a move? Thanks for any information. I just want my furry buddies to not hate me anymore :cry2

Jeff

Its really important to remember that this is not a personal issue about you.

Remember that they are in a completely new placeand it will be scary. More importantly, it will completely different.

I wonder if maybe the previous owner had animals? Something like cats or dogs might be enough to provoke this reaction in them because it could terrify them. What happens if you put a drop of vanilla just above their noses?

Also, they may be picking up on your stress too because moving is very stressful and the stress because you feel about moving (and also maybe the frustration if you think they don't like you) can siphon off into tem and they can then react accordingly.

More than anything its important to remember that this is nothing personal to you. This is them being rabbits and reacting to something that you are not aware of. Its now a case of wokring out what it is.

Are they still eating? Pooing? Drinking? Weeing?

All very good points. Thank you so much for your response. Yes they are still drinking and eating but only when im not around. As far as other animals, my roomate has a two dogs but they have been around them before when in their caga and were fine. The door always stays closed when the dogs are home though just in case they ever tried anything. My parents dog thrives off the thrill of devouring wild rabbits so i take precaution. What is that about a drop of vanilla in front of their noses?

I wonder if maybe the smell of dog is overwhelming because they live there as opposed to just visiting the buns before.

I wonder if you also smell like a threat (like strongly of dogs) which is why they act that way around you.

A drop of vanilla just above their noses will effectively blitz their sense of smell and so they will only be able to smell the vanilla, not the threat, so it might help them act calmer and less scared if they are reacting to a different smell in the new home.

o dang... well if thats the case I probably smell like a huge threat.. I work at a vet clinic as a vet technician and wrestle around with dogs all day long haha. Its all making sense now though. I was living with my girlfriend before I moved into my new place and even though I wreaked of dog, she always had vanilla candles or insense burning! I will try the vanilla trick though. Now is this vanilla extract? Or just a vanilla fragrance liquid? I dont want to risk putting the wrong stuff on them and hurting them.

I'm glad it's making sense :D

Vanilla essence is what I use on mine. Not sure what the others are to be honest but would guess the fragrance liquid would NOT be ok.

Welcome to RO!

Usually just vanilla extract real or artificial does the trick.

I'm sure this only makes things more stressful for you - we all want our buns to be their happy adorable selves.

They're in a new place with new sights, sounds and smells.
Even their water might taste different to them!
I'm sure it'll just take them some time to get used to it, just like when you first brought them home.

Try to keep things quiet for them so they have time to explore on their own. No one warned them that they were moving and it'll just take some getting used to.

Thank you for your help guys! I will try the vanilla trick and give them time to get used to the new environment.

Latest posts

Back