My rabbits eye is scaring me more everyday. Will he die?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my bunny to the vet after seeing a little swelling in his eye. They said he had a 104 degree fever and an upper respiratory infection. I'm not sure why his eye is getting worse. We are basically at the vet daily for fluids, antibiotic shots, vitamin b shots, and eye drops. I honestly think they should just take his eye out. It looks super painful and is bleeding constantly. I really am not ready for him to die. The pictures I attached are the slow progression of his eye. He now has no eye sight in his left eye and cant even blink. It also smells really bad and I dont know if that's normal?? He has crust around his nose as well. His fur is matted so much with blood and stuff that I cant get it off.

Attachments

• 20190801_211533.jpg
    20190801_211533.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20190801-212827_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20190801-212827_Messenger.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20190801-212843_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20190801-212843_Messenger.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 81
FB2C9A92-E2CF-4546-82DE-9BCBBCED99D6.jpeg Well wishes and positive vibes. Please update on his status. My poor bunny just started with an eye infection. I’ve read that eye infections are very common in rabbits, However I am so worried. She is the sweetest bunny. We just got her last week and this is our first pet. I will attach pictures. Any advice? I’m planning to take her to the vet tomorrow. I don’t want her condition to worsen and her eye to be compromised.

I took my bunny to the vet after seeing a little swelling in his eye. They said he had a 104 degree fever and an upper respiratory infection. I'm not sure why his eye is getting worse. We are basically at the vet daily for fluids, antibiotic shots, vitamin b shots, and eye drops. I honestly think they should just take his eye out. It looks super painful and is bleeding constantly. I really am not ready for him to die. The pictures I attached are the slow progression of his eye. He now has no eye sight in his left eye and cant even blink. It also smells really bad and I dont know if that's normal?? He has crust around his nose as well. His fur is matted so much with blood and stuff that I cant get it off.
Oh poor thing hope you'll get a proper cure for his eye, doesn't look you can save the eye maybe they should remove it before it's too late! Please keep us updated.

Do you remember how it all started and how fast progressed? What did you use when it started?

Have you had an x-ray done? Sometimes back teeth roots can begin growing into the back of the eye. Teeth roots can also irritate and cause nasal issues, so potentially if you're finding discharge constantly, teeth is a possible cause for both.

Have you had an x-ray done? Sometimes back teeth roots can begin growing into the back of the eye. Teeth roots can also irritate and cause nasal issues, so potentially if you're finding discharge constantly, teeth is a possible cause for both.
I've done an x ray and everything looked normal, including the teeth. He is getting worse a d worse everyday. Hes eating absolutely nothing and now the vet is gonna try eye surgery. They said he may not survive it.

Oh poor thing hope you'll get a proper cure for his eye, doesn't look you can save the eye maybe they should remove it before it's too late! Please keep us updated.

Do you remember how it all started and how fast progressed? What did you use when it started?
When it first started I took him to the vet. His eye wasnt this bad and they gave eye drops and antibiotics. He is now going to get eye surgery and I'm scared he wont survive it. He is 8 years old and they're concerned as well that he wont make it. Hes relying on me force feeding him to really get anything in his system. He is my baby and I cant stand it if he dies. He barely even moves anymore. I check to make sure hes even still breathing every hour or so.

It also progressed within a few weeks.

Thank you for your willingness to answer all these questions! You really have done a lot for him. At this point, while it is a rational way of thinking of it, I think about yes, he may not survive the procedure, but on the other hand, without the procedure, what will life continue to be like for him? It sounds very difficult for both of you at this time. I'm sure this is something you're really thinking about as well, and it's not an easy choice. It's unfair that you and your rabbit need to go through this.

If you haven't already, it may be somewhat worthwhile to send any xrays or reports to other vets, to get their opinions. Perhaps there's something your current vet is missing (not necessarily due to incompetence, but another set of eyes can always be valuable).

I lost a guinea pig to a really bad eye infection that started with an infected bad tooth. I so hope your bunny gets better soon.

Hi guys I’m new to this so not quite sure what to do .
I’m looking for advice . My 7 year old bunny has snuffles he’s in antibiotics orally and he has eye drops . He’s been to the vets and needs to go back next week for check up . How soon should I see an improvement ? I’m so worried about him . He is eating but today seems quieter than yesterday scared I’m gonna loss him . What else can I do for him ? I clean his eye and nose and do his meds 3 times Aday , he has fresh veg twice a day and I give him heat pads to stay warm. What else can I do ?or try ?

I am so very sorry for your loss. This is very devastating...I am glad you spent 8 wonderful years with him, and you did everything you could have for him. I am so sorry...Please let me know if there is any way I can help :( At least the poor baby did not suffer in the end.

Latest posts

Back