My rabbits are acting out of sorts. Please help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by blwinteler, Jan 12, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jan 12, 2019 #1

blwinteler

blwinteler

blwinteler

Hey,
    So, Buggs has been doing amazing. He and Groucho are getting along great and insisted on sharing a cage again. The abscess has been gone for a few months now.

Anyway, I let them out of their cage for several hours every evening. During which, they run around, play, and enjoy a few raisins. They get so excited for their raisins! I know not to give them much, and I do mix up their treats for the sake of their tummies. They eat well, with plenty of hay (Buggs even eats hay again!) and some pellets. I gave them some lettuce (Romaine) a couple nights ago. Last night, Buggs did not come out of the cage. I don't remember, but I think he didn't eat when I gave them pellets. But he gets in moods sometimes and doesn't want to come out, so I didn't worry about it. But, tonight, neither of them would come out. Not even for raisins, which usually get them to come running. I offered raisins in the cage. They sniffed them and literally turned their noses up at them. I gave them pellets. Same thing, noses up and moved to the back of their cage where I can't reach them (it's a big cage!).

It's Friday. My vet just closed 15 minutes ago. He won't be in again until Monday. Any thoughts on what could be wrong or what I should do?

2. Jan 12, 2019 #2

JBun

JBun

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Upset stomach would be my first guess, in the absence of other info to point to something else. It happens with my rabbits for reasons that I can't explain. I don't know if it's a bad piece of hay or something off with a veggie. First thing I will try is infant gas drops and that almost always does the trick. Sometimes it will take a second or third dose an hour apart, but they usually get back to eating after that. Dosing info in the link.
    http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

3. Jan 12, 2019 #3

blwinteler

blwinteler

blwinteler

Thank you! I will try that and let you know how it goes. I can't get to the store until tomorrow afternoon. They are still drinking water. I think they'll be fine. I have a suspicion it was the lettuce. Anyway, your reply gives me some peace of mind. I won't be up all night worrying. At least, not as much.

Happy Bunno likes this.
  4. Jan 16, 2019 #4

blwinteler

blwinteler

blwinteler

Update:
    So, the next day, before I headed out to the store, I gave them some pellets. They devoured them. I still got the medicine, but they haven't needed it. They are their usual feisty, hungry selves. I guess they just needed time.

Blue eyes likes this.
  5. Jan 19, 2019 #5

Imbrium

Imbrium

Imbrium

Jennifer

Whew! I'm a worrier when it comes to GI stasis-type symptoms... so glad to hear that your bunns just had an off day and are back to normal!

blwinteler likes this.