my rabbit wont eat all of a sudden

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinbumpkin

Reaction score
yesterday my rabbit acted completely normal, and this morning she ate her breakfast like she was starving (like she always does) and begging me for pellets. then maybe an hour later, i realized she was hiding in her box that she only goes in in the evenings for her naps. i thought it was weird so i tried giving her a pellet and she ate it, then an hour later she was still in there and now refusing food. i gave her gas medicine 3 times, by the 2nd dose she was running around and eating like normal. i fell asleep for a few hours and now she's sick again. hiding in her box, refusing food. i just gave her some gas meds again, but i dont know what else to do. i think this is because she's shedding really bad.

i called the only exotic vet i know near me thats actually knowledgeable about rabbits and they dont have an emergency vet that will see rabbits and cant get me an appointment until the end of september. i dont know what to do, im scared she'll get worse this weekend and i wont be able to find another exotic vet that can get her an appointment.

she did use her litterbox after she got better the first time, and her poop was smaller than usual. then i found one piece that was very big in her cage but im not sure when its from.

is there anything else i can do to help her? should i start critical care? i have fluids leftover from when she had gi stasis last and the person from the vet i called told me i can give her some, but i dont know if its to that point yet where i should.

if i can get her to start eating again, what can i do to keep her that way without her getting like this again? she's starting to nibble on some food.

Great that's she's nibbling on food. Try to get her to eat hay, hay and more hay. Hay is the best thing for her to help her pass any ingested hair. Be sure she also has plenty of water.

The gas drops are safe so you can give her those as/when needed. It helps relieve any pain which, in turn, will make her more willing to eat. (She won't eat if her tummy hurts.)

Try to brush her well too. Better for you to remove the loose fur than for her to lick it off and ingest it. Encouraging her to move around can also help push things along through her digestive tract.

Great that's she's nibbling on food. Try to get her to eat hay, hay and more hay. Hay is the best thing for her to help her pass any ingested hair. Be sure she also has plenty of water.

The gas drops are safe so you can give her those as/when needed. It helps relieve any pain which, in turn, will make her more willing to eat. (She won't eat if her tummy hurts.)

Try to brush her well too. Better for you to remove the loose fur than for her to lick it off and ingest it. Encouraging her to move around can also help push things along through her digestive tract.
she was just laying down and grinding her teeth while i rubbed her belly, so i dont know if she was in pain or liked the belly rubs. but then she got up and ate almost a full piece of lettuce and a few bites of hay. now she's laying down again.

can i keep giving her the gas drops every hour? ive heard people say after 3 doses to start giving it every 8 hours or so but it seems to be helping a little. i've already given 2 doses.

she's been eating botanical hay, she wont eat much of her regular timothy hay. should i keep giving it to her or is there a limit on how much she should get since it has stuff added in? she seems to be mostly picking the little things out of it.

the ingredients are rose petals, hibiscus flowers, marigold flowers, nettle leaves, birch leaves, raspberry leaves, blue cornflowers, and chamomile flowers.

is this something she can have an unlimited amount of like regular hay?

Latest posts

Back