My rabbit thinks his pellets are crack !

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raid3n

Reaction score
Hello all,
I don't know if this is a normal thing or not, but lately Cadbury has been really realllllllyyyyy craving his pellets. Or when I think about it, I think he's just hungry for anything. (He loves carrots to death). Well, my question is that, is this normal rabbit behavior or am I just spoiling him by feeding him so much pellets. So basically how much pellets should I give him? He seems like he wants to eat all the time. He's not eating his hay as much as he used too also. But I've noticed he's drinking more water.

He is a 3 month old mini rex. Not been neutered yet.

p.s. He's my first pet ever so maybe that can explain my paranoia. :$

Thanks for your help!

- Raiden and Cadbury
:bunnydance:

Lots of buns go nuts for pellets. So yours isn't abnormal. It usually isn't because they are hungry. Think that if you just had a meal, and you were offered a chocolate bar, you would probably eat it even though you just had food.

Young rabbits should have unlimited pellets. If he is not eating as much hay, you could limit it a bit. Give a set amount in the morning, and that is all he gets until the evening. Give a generous amount, like 1/2 cup, so he does get plenty of pellets, but if he eats them all he only has hay. If there are extra pellets in the bowl when you feed him again, you could cut back a bit if you wanted to. I would not limit him too much at this stage, just enough that he eats some more hay. If he has hay, he is not going to starve.

At this point, you could start introducing veggies if you wanted to. Start slow, and do it one at a time.

Thanks! I feel relaxed now! Ya I have been conservative with the carrots! And I've introduced Cilantro to him (only thing I had around at the time) in terms of green! But slowly I'll get around to more.

Also, I've heard Lettuce is not good for them is that true?!

Raid3n wrote:
Also, I've heard Lettuce is not good for them is that true?!
Most lettuce is fine. Iceberg lettuce is that one that can cause issues. It is mostly water, so can cause diarrhea. It has little nutritional value anyway. Generally, darker lettuce is fine to give.

The only lettuce to be careful of is iceberg because it is mainly all water (not really any nutritional value) and it has been know to cause runny poops.

All other lettuces are great for rabbits. Romain, green leaf, red leaf and spring mix are all excellent.

Spring mix is a good veggie to start introducing to a young bunny. It is generally received well by young bunny tummies.

And yes, most bunnies love pellets and think pellet time is the best time ever. Almost all of my buns do head shakes (mini binkies) when it is pellet time.

Once your bunny is fully grown (about 6 months) you should slowly start restricting pellets until you reach about 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of bunny (that's a guide line and should be adjusted if bunny needs to gain or lose weight to be healthy).

-Dawn

Lily is an absolute chow hound. I have a feeling that if I let her she'd sit and eat the whole 20 pound bag of food in one sitting! She's an adult who weights about 4 pounds and she gets 3/8ths of a cup of pellets split into two feedings.

My rabbit does the same thing, and he's 2.8 lbs, 9 years old. He'll push at my hand and even nip me if he doesn't think I'm setting his bowl down fast enough! I think most rabbits just find it extremely tasty.

I agree with you I feel too that if I gave him the whole bag he'll stuff him self like a turkey on thanksgiving! But at the same time its a relief that he is eating and staying healthy :)

yes, you are correct, it is probably very tasty to them. What would humans know :p unless someone couldn't control their curiosity and actually attempted to see how tasteful it really is!!!

- Raiden and Cadbury

Raid3n wrote:
yes, you are correct, it is probably very tasty to them. What would humans know :p unless someone couldn't control their curiosity and actually attempted to see how tasteful it really is!!!
Ummm.......I've actually tasted pellets. Nasty!!!!

Is that so! Hmm, then I wouldn't want to be a rabbit in that case :p

(At least the answer wasn't: "It tastes like chicken!" lol)

- Raiden and Cadbury

i actually new a breeder once that would taste test his rabbit pellets every time he opened a new bag to check for freshness.

. . . he was a very interesting person thought. . .

I myself have also tasted a pellet as well, and can also say that they are nasty!

That reminds me of a little comic in the Rabbits For Dummies book. It has a farmer with a fork full of hay that he is eating to check for freshness. Wouldn't want to feed the buns something we wouldn't eat:cooking:

Latest posts

Back