My Rabbit Still Hasn’t Given Birth?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaRabbitt_

Reaction score
I have this doe, she is a little over 6 months old. The 7th 8th and 9th of January I bred her with the same buck, he fell off atleast 5 times. I was pretty sure she was pregnant but now I’m not so sure, I live in Denmark, it’s currently -10 degrees Celsius, so it’s pretty cold but my rabbits are inside, we have a shed on the side of our garage. Could it perhaps be the cold? But anyways, if she first got pregnant the 9th day, it’s already been 33 days since that, there is nothing but a little hole she has dug in the corner in her nest box, she hasn’t stopped eating, but she is a bit more aggressive and careful. I usually see her near her nest box, like right outside when she usually hangs out farther away (I’ve put a nest box in the sleeping hut), it’s her first ever litter and I checked this morning for kits but again nothing. Could she still be pregnant? I’m also worried if she is having problems kindling, she is a pet rabbit. Any help would be very much appreciated!

One of my does kindles consistantly on day 35, and it can be even later.

I know it can be a nerve wrecking waiting game, nothing to do about that. Give her lots of hay and food, and keep checking on her, about every two hours, also through the night, as discreet as possible, don't stress her.
If there are kits outside the nestbox be prepared to warm them up if they are cold, and if you don't have a stockpile of fur prepare other stuff you can line the nest with - like cotton wool or even dryer lint - if the doe doesn't pull fur, or too much of it gets soiled and wet.

Most likely you just need to clean up the nest after she's done, removing wet stuff, but be prepared that sometimes it doesn't exatly go as planned.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It's impossible to know if she is actually pregnant or not. Time will tell! I know larger breeds can have really late deliveries.

You've done everything right, I wouldn't mess with the nesting box or handle her often, in case she does have babies inside. At this point, her belly should feel very firm - like a balloon wanting to pop.

I once received some great advice I would like to share: "As long as you've done everything you can to help the doe thrive, natural instincts will guide her through the process of becoming a mother."

Latest posts

Back