My rabbit recently started peeing on the couch! I don't know what to do!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
It has been super frustrating. My 10.5 month old, neutered, male mini rex keeps peeing on the couch! He's done it about 3 times in the past 2 weeks. We have a beautiful sofa but never had an issue with him jumping and chilling on it. Now, we'll turn around and he's peed on the cushion! He's a partially penned, partially free roamed rabbit and has access to the whole living room when we're home but at night, he's in a 3 grid by 2 grid NIC enclosure with a 2 grid loft.

I honestly don't know what to do. I can't watch him like a hawk when he's out and we also don't have the space for a huge pen. We've had him since he was 10 weeks old and he's only done this once before he was neutered. Recently, he had some GI stasis that he's over now and is on TMS but his poops are back to normal. I really don't know what's causing this.

It has been super frustrating. My 10.5 month old, neutered, male mini rex keeps peeing on the couch! He's done it about 3 times in the past 2 weeks. We have a beautiful sofa but never had an issue with him jumping and chilling on it. Now, we'll turn around and he's peed on the cushion! He's a partially penned, partially free roamed rabbit and has access to the whole living room when we're home but at night, he's in a 3 grid by 2 grid NIC enclosure with a 2 grid loft.

I honestly don't know what to do. I can't watch him like a hawk when he's out and we also don't have the space for a huge pen. We've had him since he was 10 weeks old and he's only done this once before he was neutered. Recently, he had some GI stasis that he's over now and is on TMS but his poops are back to normal. I really don't know what's causing this.

i would try white vinegar... idk but it may help. i did research and hes peeing there because it smells like you. i would just try that tho

How long has he been neutered? Artie started to pee and poo on the couch and our bed which continued for 6 - 8 months after he was neutered. We used vinegar like zkeaton and covered/barricaded the furniture with storage containers, their lids and laundry baskets. Now, 1 year later, Artie sits on the couch or his favorite chair without peeing or pooing.

Territory wars. He thinks everything is his. Do you have a litter box in that room? If not, a litter box might make him less into marking the box. Also just catching him in the act and putting him in the pen can help. Though it all depends how long it’s been since he was neutered.

Territory wars. He thinks everything is his. Do you have a litter box in that room? If not, a litter box might make him less into marking the box. Also just catching him in the act and putting him in the pen can help. Though it all depends how long it’s been since he was neutered.
He’s been neutered since end of October. So it’s been a while! He’s really a trouble-bun. Every time we lift him off the couch as soon as he jumps on, he binkies as if this is some sort of fun game!

How long has he been neutered? Artie started to pee and poo on the couch and our bed which continued for 6 - 8 months after he was neutered. We used vinegar like zkeaton and covered/barricaded the furniture with storage containers, their lids and laundry baskets. Now, 1 year later, Artie sits on the couch or his favorite chair without peeing or pooing.
He was neutered in October. We’re a work in progress. I ordered a huge waterproof blanket and will cover the couch with that. I feel terrible because he’s been in his pen much more since he keeps doing this and can only be let out when supervised. Once the blanket comes, hopefully we can work more on training him.

Pen the couch? Or barricade it so he can't jump on. Or try putting something he doesn't like on it e.g. aluminium foil. It's a very common problem. If you clean the couch thoroughly and stop him from jumping on for a couple of months he may have forgotten about it.

It's not ideal as far as looks go BUT...I had a neutered male that began peeing on the couch. I saved the long piece of crinkly brown paper that Amazon often uses as packing material and laid it over the couch. He didn't like the look and sound of it at he kept off the couch. This won't work with every rabbit, but it doesn't cost anything to try and it's easy to remove when we want to sit down.

It's not ideal as far as looks go BUT...I had a neutered male that began peeing on the couch. I saved the long piece of crinkly brown paper that Amazon often uses as packing material and laid it over the couch. He didn't like the look and sound of it at he kept off the couch. This won't work with every rabbit, but it doesn't cost anything to try and it's easy to remove when we want to sit down.
Good tip!

Latest posts

Back