My rabbit pees in my bed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!

My girl, who's about 14 weeks old, likes to sleep next to my pillow or at the foot of my bed at night, which is nice except for the fact that I, almost every other morning, wake up to a big nice pee stain on my sheets.
She's been doing very well with litter training and never ever poops outside her litter box (I keep her hay in there which I think has helped tremendously with that matter) and I've only caught her peeing on the floor/carpet like, a couple of times since I got her (I also always put the paper towel that I use to clean up the pee in her litter box so she'll figure out that that's where she's supposed to "do her thing").
Could the peeing in my bed be like a "territorial marking", since she doesn't do it anywhere else? She's obviously not spayed yet since she's so young. Or is she just not 100 % housetrained yet? Have any of you had the same issue and how'd you deal with it?

Sincerely, a loving roomie who's getting a little tired of doing laundry every day.

Yes, it does seem like she's marking her territory. Whenever I start to see their tails lift up, it means they're about to pee. Not I know they don't like to be carried but if they're in a place where they shouldn't pee, I would get them and put them in their litterbox.

They're all fixed an litter trained but sometimes my oldest just seems stubborn to go to the litterbox! 😆

Soft places likes beds and blankets seem to be a favorite spot for some rabbits to pee. They just can't resist. It's possible she won't do it after she is spayed and then becomes more consistent with her potty habits.

However, in the meantime, it would be a good idea to keep her off of the bed completely. (sad, I know) But she isn't likely to stop before her spay. If she's allowed to continue, it could become an ingrained habit that she will never be able to stop even after her spay.

Thanks!! She did pee in two of her own nest beds (soft little things she usually naps in during the day) a few hours after i posted this, so I think it's both territorial and a matter of "softness". Will definitely try keeping her off the bed until she's fully litter box trained (😢) and see if it gets better. Thanks again for all the help! 🤗

Yup. You may also need to remove the pet beds as well until she's fully litter trained. Otherwise (again) she may develop the bad habit of peeing on them. They can be added in later when she's consistent with urinating in the litter box.

Something similar haopened with Musti. I let him come to my bed and dig at the blanket, cleaned up his mess of stains sometimes and still let him come. I didn't know any better then and after his neuter he never stopped digging and chewing at everything in my bed and even occasionally left pees on the curtain and bed, which shared a wall. I finally started distracting him when he came to wreck. Then he carried the habit onto a specific piece of carpet. He kept that stupid habit until his passing.
So you better keep your girl off the bed!

Latest posts

Back