My Rabbit likes to [safely] play with plastic bags.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaspers

Reaction score
**DISCLAIMER**
Please dont take this as Im some irresponsible owner, I‘m always watching him if Oscar is even near a bag. Ill let him play with one if I happen to have one with me, he’ll have a bit of fun before running of when he gets bored, and I immediately pick it up.
I never leave the room if he has one, I never give him one as a distraction, and I never just leave them around for him to get into.

A month or two ago, Oscar apparently took a liking to plastic bags. At first I thought he was eating them, so obviously I would take them away from him, move/hide whatever bags we had in the house (he free roams and somehow figured out how drawers work). But one day, I was cleaning up my room and collecting bits of fabric and paper in a plastic bag, when Oscar started to play with it. Before I took it away, I realized he wasn't eating it. He wasn't even chewing on it. He had it in his mouth, but he was just sucking on it.
He’s done this before with other things, but its usually with things with faux fur (stuffed animals, jackets, etc.).
I guess I just want to know if this is normal, or some sort of sensory thing. He’ll suck on them, lick them, rustle them around and dump them out, but he never really does much else.

Attachments

• IMG_5551.MOV
    11.2 MB
I've never come across anyone mentioning something like that with their rabbits. I've only had buns that like to lick objects, especially a stuffie. Maybe it's a leftover suckling trait from nursing, I've heard of other animals doing something similar when grown. Or maybe he just likes the taste or texture of it. Who knows what's going through those little bunny brains of theirs 🤣

My Bunny Likes scratching at Plastic bags, while I'm cleaning out her pen, she will scratch at the plastic rubbish bag, or she gently chews at it, I've never had her take a chunk out of the plastic though. I think my Bun likes the noise it makes. I was taking it away from her for a while, but then I noticed she never actually chewed off any plastic, it's like she chewed or licked it gently enough to make a noise with it, so now i let her play with it while I clean up

So I think it is safe as long as we are watching them, as long as they don't actually bite off any plastic. I've just always kept a close eye
Someone with more experience may have better advice than I.

Latest posts

Back