My rabbit killed her babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nataliemmm

Reaction score
Guysss my rabbit killed all of her babies :(( can anybody tell me why did that happened? And what to do not to kill her babies another time

Ok, maybe the nesting box was too small? Or she got territorial and started attacking them? Have you bred her before? How old is she?

This can happen for their first litter. Are you sure she was purposely killing them or was it an accident? Can you send a picture of the nesting box?

This can happen for their first litter. Are you sure she was purposely killing them or was it an accident? Can you send a picture of the nesting box?
I cant, im out of the town:(( so u think that he killed 5 rabbits accidentally? :( we have also two rabbits male and female but she doesnt get along with female, she was punching her one time so they are separated but still next to each other, maybe that was the reason?

I'm thinking she might have killed them because the nesting box was too small and she accidentally stepped on them. If she can smell your other rabbits she may have felt threatened and take it out on her babies.

I'm thinking she might have killed them because the nesting box was too small and she accidentally stepped on them. If she can smell your other rabbits she may have felt threatened and take it out on her babies.
As i know she was so sad after that :(

Guysss my rabbit killed all of her babies :(( can anybody tell me why did that happened? And what to do not to kill her babies another time

That's not a lot of details.
What exactly happend, what did the aftermath look like?
How old was the litter, how old the doe, her first time? What does your housing setup look like? Any stress factores like nightly predators, dogs, chicken or whatever?

EDIT. ah, sorry, didn't see the rest of the thread.
Are you sure the kits were alive?

The other doe shouldn't be any problem, breeding does are usually housed side by side, no matter how much they hate each other, when there is a barrier the ignore one another.
Either she messed up and forgot about the nest being there, or she might have gotten scared. No way to tell. Does she have a separate hidy house away from the nest box?
I'm sure it was not on purpose - they attack with their teeth, not by stepping on something. Anyway, I would count it as Strike One if there isn't another explanation.

Last edited:
It is hard to guess without seeing if you could post a few pics of where she lives and what is / was her setup, where the nest was and so on. First comes to my mind is if she was stressed or maybe also hungry, maybe she's nervous and had panic attack and stepped on them accidentally. I have a girl she was very nervous and defensive all the time since I've got her, she's better now, so when she had her first litter 4 kits she was so horrified that there are something moving in that nest box she was running wall to wall I had to remove the nest as I was afraid she'd step on them. She's very strong and panicking sometimes you don't want to be on her way when she's moving fast chaotically

Latest posts

Back