My rabbit just knocked her top teeth loose and her bottom teeth broke off unevenly... Super worried

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymommy94

Reaction score
I am extremely worried about my bunny after she fell off of my counter after being spooked by my dog unexpectedly getting into the same room. My rabbit Poppy is deathly afraid of dogs, which is why I keep them totally separate. Apparently the door to the area of the house I was in grooming my rabbit wasn't shut all of the way and she jumped off of my bathroom counter and landed in such a way that her two top teeth are now clearly loosened and her bottom teeth are broken off unevenly (but not loose). She also has a gash on her bottom lip. I know that none of you can technically give me medical advice, I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that has had a rabbit damage their teeth in a similar way and what happened afterwards. Was your bunny ok after everything healed, what did you feed your bunny in the mean time? Or maybe I'm the only person who could be so neglectful and let something like this happen. I just want my girl to be okay, even if I feel awful for what has just happened its not really about me at the moment, its her I am worried about.

I am extremely worried about my bunny after she fell off of my counter after being spooked by my dog unexpectedly getting into the same room. My rabbit Poppy is deathly afraid of dogs, which is why I keep them totally separate. Apparently the door to the area of the house I was in grooming my rabbit wasn't shut all of the way and she jumped off of my bathroom counter and landed in such a way that her two top teeth are now clearly loosened and her bottom teeth are broken off unevenly (but not loose). She also has a gash on her bottom lip. I know that none of you can technically give me medical advice, I am wondering if there is anyone else out there that has had a rabbit damage their teeth in a similar way and what happened afterwards. Was your bunny ok after everything healed, what did you feed your bunny in the mean time? Or maybe I'm the only person who could be so neglectful and let something like this happen. I just want my girl to be okay, even if I feel awful for what has just happened its not really about me at the moment, its her I am worried about.
Oh no!
Like people teeth, once they are loose, I think they will remain loose.
I would get her to the vet for a look. You don’t want an abscess form in her mouth or an infection in her lip.
As far as the counter. Don’t be too hard on yourself- we are human and not perfect people. Whose baby hasn’t rolled off the couch when they turned their head for 10 seconds? Are we bad parents? No. We are human and hopefully things like this make us learn. We just love our babies the best we can. You were grooming her. It’s not like she was left alone up there. My bunnies slip and slide everywhere so I always groom them on the floor- but that’s just me bc my bunnies never sit still- ever.
Vet visits are so expensive- it’s like telling yourself while driving there “what organ shall I sell today?” But I really think you should take your bun. Cost and care now can save thousands later when she may need more extensive care due to the incident.
Don’t beat yourself up. You clearly love your bun. Get her seen and keep us posted. Sending you luck and prayers. ❤️

I can't see it but if the bottom teeth are broken unevenly I'd visit your vet to trim them so they couldn't do damage to gums while there's no teeth at the moment, the top teeth should grow back in a few weeks.

She can still eat using her molars, for now I'd clear wounds with salt water a few times a day and would visit a vet to file or trim bottom teeth and check top teeth. And you can feed her a bit of dry pellets soaked in water just soak one and put it into her mouth one by one from the side not on front teeth and tomorrow she'll probably be able to eat them as usual. Hope she'll be alright.

You can also use strong herbal teas to make compress on open wounds sage is great or yarrow I don't know what you have there

Last edited:
Please be careful with clipping/drilling the teeth yourself- unless you are qualified to do so. You do not know if nerves are exposed or anything else and could cause a tremendous amount of pain in your bunny.
There are a lot of things we can do ourselves for our bunnies but any sort of oral trauma and things like that need to be checked by a vet who has the tools needed to do so.
Side note- your bun has 28 teeth and they need to be properly checked every 2-3 years by a vet bc you cannot open their little mouths and see if any of them need clipping. The only true, and safe, way to see them all is to lightly sedate and let the vet see all the way to the back. It’s almost impossible to do that just by the small amount you can see by opening their mouths at home. My bun slowed down on eating and one vet just took a peek inside and said “teeth look good”. I took my bun to another vet and they lightly sedated her and he was able to literally show me where her back teeth were overgrown and needed clipping- thus why she wasn’t eating. Yes, anesthesia is dangerous in bunnies, hence the lightness of the sedation. No, I do not fault the first vet. Unless they are specifically trained in exotics and handle them often, a lot of vets are not bunny savvy in this way. And no, you cannot see all their teeth by a quick peek at home.
Just a thought based on my own experience.

Due to the severity of the tooth injuries, I'm inclined to side with the others and say that you should get a vet's opinion. The most important thing is to make sure that your rabbit is still eating sufficiently during recovery.

I once had a rabbit jump from a scary height. When I looked in his mouth, one of his top two incisors was broken off about halfway up. It did not affect his appetite and the tooth grew back amazingly fast. Before I knew it, it was like the whole thing never happened. We were lucky though - that one tooth was the only issue and it grew back straight with no problems. It's possible for a tooth to grow back in crooked and I have no experience with loose teeth. If you notice any reduction in appetite, your rabbit may need pain medication and/or supplement feeding with something like critical care.

Latest posts

Back