My rabbit just died after only two months of having it =(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekeetakshak

Reaction score
My rabbit was showing unusual symptoms a fewdays ago like smaller stool, not eatng, and a very quiet behavior. Itdied just today for an odd reason.

:(:(:(:(

He was the best and died just 2 months after we got him =( =(

Anyone know what the problem was? We force-fed him too, so I don't think it was starvation.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe it was GIstasis. Please take that with a grain of salt, because I am no expert.But small poops and not eating sounds like it could be stasis.

Bunnydude

Everyone in my family thinks that that it wasjust old and Petco ripped us off, since they didn't give us a birthcertificate or an age...

By the way, what would cause GI stasis? Did we just have bad luck or did our bunny eat something wrong?

GI could be caused by many things.Viral or basterial infection, Stress, major feeding changes or foodthat wasn't good, plus many more things.

I'm so sorry. :bigtears:

If you consider getting another, perhaps you might try a reputablebreeder or a shelter which often sells rabbits that are alreadyspayed/neutered.

I hope you don't give up on rabbits. I know the pain you'regoing through because I had a similar experience with one of my firstrabbits, however it was a respiratory infection that got him.

Prayers for peace go out to you from here.

-Carolyn

Thanks for your words everybody :)

I'll definitely get a new rabbit and have my father take him/her to the vet this time.

To answer someone's question, we were feeding Shadow (that was hisname) rabbit food that you get at the stores, hay, carrots every otherday, sometimes lettuce, and we would occasionally take him outside toplay. He'd eat the grass that's in our lawn, so I'm not sure if thatwas the problem.

tekeetakshak wrote:
Thanks for your words everybody :)

I'll definitely get a new rabbit and have my father take him/her to the vet this time.

To answer someone's question, we were feeding Shadow (that was hisname) rabbit food that you get at the stores, hay, carrots every otherday, sometimes lettuce, and we would occasionally take him outside toplay. He'd eat the grass that's in our lawn, so I'm not sure if thatwas the problem.
rabbits shouldn't have iceburg lettuce....they need the dark greenlettuce like romaine....and if your lawn is treated with pesticidesthen you don't want a rabbit to eat the grass...

From what I've seen of petstores - they tend to sell rabbits too young- not too old....but I don't know about your petstore. Ihighly recommend either adopting from a shelter (rescue rabbit) or abreeder.

Do you know what type of rabbit you want? There are over 45varieties that are recognized by the American Rabbit Breeder'sAssociation - plus others that aren't recognized yet!

Good luck getting a new bunny - they can be so much fun!

Peg

^^^ Is that true? The vet actually told us to feed Shadow lettuce when we called him up.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Losing a bunny is so hard. :(

Yeah, although I've had him for two months, it has been difficult this morning...

By the way, I'd like to know what kind of diet my new rabbit shouldhave. I'll definitely take off the grass and lettuce this time though.:?

How old is your new rabbit?

All rabbits needs to survive is pellets (timothy or alfalfa dependingon age), unlimited timothy hay and fresh water. Treats shouldbe limited.

tekeetakshak wrote:
^^^ Is that true? The vet actually told us to feed Shadowlettuce when we called him up.
I'm not saying don't use lettuce - but don't use iceburglettuce. It doesn't have the nutrients that rabbitsneed. However, the darker green lettuce like Romaine lettuceis ok for them. Its also important tostart them out slowly on greens after they're a few months old (4-6months I think - I would have to look it up).

The grass is ok as long as it isn't treated. We give our rabbits grassclippings from our yard because we don't use fertilizers or chemicals,etc.

Peg

Please check out the Top Picks thread at the topof the forums. There is alot of info on what to feed, whatnot to feed, litter training, behavior and body language etc...its awonderful place to start!

roberts_rabbits_2008 wrote:
SOunds like it could have been GI Statis(enteritis), I have only seen that in kits that are about 3-8weeks old though. But its probably that.

Robert

Actually, GI stasis can occur at any age and in any breed.Enteritiscan occurin kits but is not the same as GIstasis.

Rose

This site has lots of good diet info. It also has lists of ok veggies and fruits.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

Grass (no pesticides/fertilizers) and certain types of lettuce are okayin moderation. Some rabbits are sensitive to certain greensor greens in general and will get diarrhea. Young rabbitsshould be introduced to fresh foods slowly and carefully because theytend to get diarrhea from them more often.

Forgot to mention before, but GI problems can include blockage from hairballs or ingested materials such as carpet.

Latest posts

Back