My rabbit is running around all day today??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedreamer

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 3.5 half month old lionlop named Fluff... (I think it is he because he sprays sometimes but not sure) Today he went a bit crazy, he wont sit in my lap at all and he runs around the house all day looking really nervous and scared... I don t think of anything that could scare him except it is really windy today (he is in the house)... the only change we made is not giving him a lot of greens today because he had a few stinky grape looking poops for last 2 days... what can I do? His poop looks fine now. Should I be worried?

If his eyes are really wide and he seems tense, it sounds like he is scared of something. It could be the wind. I know that used to freak my horse out. Providing your bun with a hidey box may help him feel a little more secure, until he settles down. Or sometimes holding them and petting them can help calm them. You can also try turning the tv on or some music, to help distract him.

I know some buns can be really in tune to predators like foxes and such, roaming around outside nearby too. So that is another possibility.

Thank you, he did calm down for a bit now... the wind got weaker too... my wife is petting him as we speak ;)
I hope he will be fine now...

huh again a panic attack...

last night he started running around scared just of my lap, without any reason I can think of... he was clearly nervous and startled...

I was with him till 4 am trying to calm him down...

this morning he won`t leave his cage and stays in his cardboard house..

he was eating and pooping normally last night and even this morning (he only left his house to eat a little then quickly back in)

:confused::confused: :(

I hear that background noise is a really good way of calming them down. That way they can't focus on every teeny tiny little noise that startles them, so maybe having the radio on in the background? My rabbits love music, they even have preferences! It's a good way to calm them down, distraction.

Food is also a good distraction. You could try luring him out with some treats and calmly reassure him that there's nothing that will hurt him. Try sitting on the floor on his level with him, after a while he might see that there is nothing to be scared of.

Another thing, his hormones might be kicking in? Have you thought about neutering? I'm not sure if this will help though, maybe talking to your vet will help understanding how hormones might affect him?

Sorry I feel as though I haven't said much of use, I hope you find a solution soon!

All the best,
Selina
:brownbunny

Thank you very much... I thought about hormones too because he is acting strange...
I managed to get him out and pet him for awhile... he was sleeping when I took him out of his house... I think the poor guy didn't sleep at all last night...
I will probably check with vet in day or two...

Rabbits often zoom around the room quickly when they're playing. If he seems to be racing around and jumping in the air occasionally, he is probably just happy to be out and exercising. Rabbits that are scared or nervous will usually hide rather than come out and run around.

This is getting seroious... he is not eating anymore... I called the vet and they told me to try to get him to eat at least some baby food (fruit mix) but he doesn t want to eat it... I will go to the vets first thing in the morning. It is Sunday so they only take calls today :( :( the vet thinks it could be dental issue but I am affraid it is more serious since he is acting strangely past 2 days...

Is there any treat that he could find irrestisible? I tried carrots, oats, veggies even tea biscuits... nothing

Hmm well rabbits tend to sleep a lot in the day, they are the most active during dusk and dawn. Can you describe what he is like when he is scared? If he is running around like a lunatic then that's fairly normal, rabbits do this when they go hyper-active.

(this isn't my rabbit I just youtubed one) Does he look like this at all?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yodOAf1Hufc[/ame]

I remember when I first adopted a rabbit and saw them doing this I thought I was being a horrible carer! A phone call to the vet assured me that this behaviour is normal.

I hope this was helpful, if this isn't the case then maybe you should call the vet and see if they know any ways of calming him down.

All the best,
Selina

Oh this is serious you have to make sure he eats something or he is at risk of going into GI stasis. If you can get critical care I would recommend mixing it up and syringe feeding him if nothing is going down. If you cannot get that, get some pellets and add some boiling water to make a paste and try that.

Things my rabbits find utterly irresistible: Craisins (aka bunny crack), banana (this is a good one as it has electrolytes in them, so helps with diarrhoea or gas), kale, parsley or coriander and of course any house plant that they can get to!

How long has it been since he hasn't eaten?

Also maybe adding banana or pumpkin to the paste of pellets might make it a little more appealing.

If he's not eating and you've already tried enticing him with his usual treats, I would suggest not trying to feed anything sugary or starchy now. If he is having digestive issues, the sugars and carbs can make it much worse. If you have some leafy herbs like cilantro or parsley, try those. Or a dark leafy lettuce(not iceberg). If you need to syringe feed, don't use sugary baby food. If you can find something like plain canned pumpkin with no added spices, you can try that. Or soak some of his pellets in warm water, and feed him the pellet mush. Keeping your bun hydrated is very important, so make sure he is drinking or getting enough water mixed in to the syringed food.

If you have a gas relief product for people, with the active ingredient simethicone, you can try that. Usually the liquid baby gas drops are easiest to administer. But you do need to ensure there is nothing else added to it that might be harmful for your bun. Dosage is in this link.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
Also if your vet can give you the pain med, Meloxicam, that is also helpful to get any pain under control and get your bun eating again.
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Analgesics/safe_analgesics.htm

Not eating and pooping, or GI stasis, can also occur when a rabbit is stressed. And from the sound of it, something has been upsetting your bun the last few days.

Last edited:
Thank you all... he did eat some baby food about 2 am but just a little and probably just because he was messy when we tried to feed him so he licked it off... we were with him all night :cry2 :cry2
I went on work an hour ago and my wife will take him to the vets any moment now...

I hope they will help :pleaseplease:

hello everyone and thank you wor your concern :big kiss:

The vet gave him an injection "for digestion stimulation"... and asked us to call today if he is still not eating...

he started eating yesterday afternoon, he ate some banana... :bow:spintongue

he even ate some of the pellets last night... he still seems startled but much better...

his poo is not evenly shaped which I know is not good...

where do we go from here? he won`t touch his hay :pullhair: or greens of any kind...

Hi, SO happy to hear he is improving some what!

I would be persistent, keep at it, if he still isn't eating a lot then you may have to get some critical care and syringe feed him (or make a pellet and pumpkin paste and syringe feed that).

The fact that he showed interest in the banana was good though! Small victories add up! Have you tried herbs such as fresh parsley? My rabbits can't resist this. If he liked the banana he might like a sweeter hay? Maybe try mixing orchard grass with your normal hay (you can get an oxbow bag from pet stores and even off Amazon).

Though Jbun advised against sugars and carbs and I would definitely take her advice.

Please keep us updated, I really hope he starts eating again soon!

All the best,
Selina

The situation is not good at all... Fluff stopped eating again...

We just got back from another vet, she gave him 4 shots, but she is not optimistic about him. She even thinks that he might not make it till morning... :tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2:

he doesn`t look that bad at all IMHO...

We are devastated but of course not giving up...

She instructed us to buy calopet paste (energy paste for cats) and pro digest which we are now trying to syringe feed to poor little fellow... he did lick some paste few moments ago...

He is still pooping a bit so I sure think there is hope...

She checked his front teeth, they are fine but not sure about back teeth... she said she need to put him in narcosis to check for sure and that is unadvicable in his condition... she also mentioned that he is probably too young to have serious dental problems...

he is still grinding his teeth alot...

:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1:nerves1

Latest posts

Back