MY RABBIT IS PREGNANT AND I CANT HAVE THE BABIES

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a buck, Flobby, and a doe, Mimi, that are almost 13 weeks old. Somehow after two weeks of being separated by a cage divider Mimi found a way to scape from her side to Flobby's side, and my mom found them mating. My mom said she didnt check on them for 3 hours so they could have definitely done it more than once. I am scared that she will be pregnant, I don't really have space for a nest or for any more rabbits and I have no idea how to take care of baby bunnies. What do I do? I am almost certain the kits will die in my care!

You can get an emergency spay done. It would be also removing the pregnancy and preventing future ones. You would just tell your vet that she's probably pregnant

I would agree! But if you don’t have space move her now to someone who does and have them take care of her. I would get an ultrasound in a little and see if she is Prego. Best of luck!

You can get an emergency spay done. It would be also removing the pregnancy and preventing future ones. You would just tell your vet that she's probably pregnant

This is a good idea, I just don't know where to find that here in Toronto bc all the gets I have asked say that the only way they will do it is if the bunny is 5 months old or so

At this age, it's uncertain they'll be fertile. It is possible, but bucks don't reach a very high level of fertility until closer to 4-6 months. They do try mounting (often to show dominance) much earlier than that, though. I There isn't much human care involved in baby rabbits though, other than moving rabbits born outside the nest (does often make a beautiful nest, then give birth on the other side of the cage) into the nest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending upon on the breed a bit (smaller breeds usually mature a little faster), the bunnies might be too young to give birth. However, my baby Gary somehow dropped his tes** at around two months old, maybe, and became a father before 4 months old, ugh... Glad he is neutered now.

As for the babies, I do recommend an emergency spay as well, but from my recent experience, it is very hard to find a vet willing to do it. They say it will cost more and may cause complications, but who knows. If you must have the babies, I would advise keeping them in a good spot where the Mom can access them 24/7, if you can make room. But I would definitely check them regularly to make sure they have been fed or did not fall out of the nest (sometimes, they are still latched on until the Mom is out of the nest, so they can get cold and pass away).

Good luck!

I would say she probobly isn’t pregnant because she is so young but their is always a possibility. In my experience when breeding bunnies they almost always have a failed first breeding.

If emergency spay would be unavailable or too risky And she is indeed pregnant, there's not much care needed from human as she will take care of her kits herself, there's a very little assistance needed you can start thread here and post all your questions and pics and we're happy to help if you don't know what to do.

For now (if she's really pregnant), you have one month before babies arrive you don't have to do anything, I would say if you can separate them completely that would be much better. On day 28 you will have to give her a nest box (it's not difficult to make diy) or maybe a bit earlier if you see she is pulling her fur or carrying hay in her mouth and building something in the corner, but can also be a false pregnancy because she's so close to unneutered buck.

When babies arrive you will have to check if they're all alive and moving and just leave her she will feed them and will take care of them. At about 2 weeks old they will grow and will start jumping out of their nestbox so it'd be nice if you can give her some extra room because she can get stressed they will follow her everywhere begging for milk so just give her an extra shelf where kits can't reach her or something. She will feed them until they are 6-8 weeks but they will also start eating hay and some pellets from her bowl when they are 3-4 weeks old.

At 8 weeks old you will have to find new homes for them you can just place an ad on your local board and see if you can find nice people looking for a bunny, some people would take two so they could keep company.

She can have 1 to 10 babies there's no guarantee how many she'll have maybe 4 maybe 6, if more maybe not all will survive.

But honestly as you say she's 13 weeks old she's a bit too young to get pregnant, she's almost on edge so this mating is like a rehearsal maybe and you're maybe lucky and nothing will change for you this time. But she can be fertile already, usually they say from 14 weeks depending on her breed.

Anyway, don't panic separate them completely until your buck is neutered and healed and wait about 4 weeks if she'll start building a nest (she can also start at day 17 then it will be a false pregnancy and will last a couple days then she'll be back to normal). Keep in touch we're happy to help :)

We had a similar situation at about thirteen-weeks. I was afraid the too-young doe was pregnant. The buck's testicles had dropped and he was viable; but, she was too young to conceive. I asked the vet to do an ultrasound; but, the vet took an X-ray, instead. We had a clear answer in minutes. The doe wasn't going to be a mother. Having that reassurance was the best money I ever spent.

The vet neutered the buck, immediately, and we waited until the doe was six-months old before we had her spayed. In the meantime, we kept them separated because it takes a while before the buck becomes completely sterile.

It all turned out well. I hope it is the same in your case.

Worst case, sell them on Craigslist for $20-40. When I sold my bunny cage, I was asked if I was selling any bunnies. So I think there is an online demand for bunnies.

But yeah, don't give them for free, put a price so only people who want a bunny will not mind parting with $20-40.

Latest posts

Back