My Rabbit is Pooping-ALOT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
my holland lop male Vegas, that is about 11 weeks old or so is pooping alot. He is not outside but i located in my porch and he has plenty of warmth out there(including fur). He does not seem to be acting different than usual but he just poops so much. about a week ago i switched him into Pokers cage which is smaller than his NIC cage because i wanted him to learn litter training skills. he definetely is far from litter trained and poops in every corner. i noticed that when i had 2 small towels in the cage and a pillowcase on the bottom, it made him pee all over that, so i removed them and he did well for a day. all of his hay and water bottle and his favorite toy are in his litter box. i have to clean his litter box EVERYDAY-with complete fresh litter and i MUST vaccuum his cage everyday also because he just poops everywhere. i havent seen any unusual poo-except for some occasional cecals, but the vet assured me that holland lops do often have cecals, and another member Ali told me the same.

his diet is 15/23 Oxbow Pellets for young and active rabbits, along with a big water bottle that i refill everyday because he chugs it down, timothy hay, about 2-3 cheerios only when he behaves at playtime, and thats it. i give him parsley(very very little) about 1 every 8-10 days.

he is very active when he is out of his cage.even when i take him out he poos in all the shoes and the corners and the floor and the playhouse(marking his territory)..

anywaysss- can someoneee help me out here??

and another thing is my dwarf hotot male that is about 15 or 16 weeks old poops very little.i literally never see any new poop in his cage and he has been acting slightly different

should i be concerned about my bunnies??

myself,,i don,t worry about how much they poop,,unless there are tell/tell signs of a problem..ie..blood,gewy,slimmy,smaller than usual(diameter),,wormy,,signs of dehydration...must be feeding a good-( fiber) diet,,ie timothy/orchard grasses,,these undigestable grasses are crucial to their health-(teeth/gitract-flora)----keep the machine working...sincerely james waller:wave:

Poops are a good sign. As long as they're healthy looking poops, it's a great sign that they're eating lots of hay and have a healthy, moving GI tract.

the holland lop< Vegas, sounds normal. They are really messy at that age and you can attempt to work on litterbox habits but probably will not get too far until he is old enough to be neutered.
I would beway more concrned about thehotot who is not pooping much and whose behavior has changed. ..

If he is quieter he could have an issue with gas and/ or stasis .

let us know a little more about your hotot

I am still living with 5 baby bunnies from a litter of 10. They poop a LOT, too. Personally, I feel a diet should be high in hay & veggies and limited to no pellets. I guarantee that you'll see a decrease in water consumption if you up the veggies. I started my guys off very young and so they do fine with several cups of veggies in the morning, hay all day (I offer fresh hay at least twice a day), and 1/3 cup pellets at night. They are now a healthy weight and drink far less because they get so much water from their food.
Since your bunny is young, you'd want to introduce veggies slowly to avoid upsetting the GI tract, but I think there are serious benefits to sticking with this type of diet.. and the rabbits love it.

Here are a few articles that go over some of the basics and advantages:
http://rabbit.org/journal/3-4/pellets.html

This one talks about GI stasis and the benefits of veggies: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-7/gi.html

There are plenty more great articles on the site as well..

When they're outside in the winter, they burn more calories keeping their body temperature up--that may mean he's eating more and pooping more. I wouldn't worry as long as they're normal poos--a lot is usually fine. A few cecals are normal too, especially for a Holland his age.

Latest posts

Back