My rabbit is obsessively pulling her fur out? Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHop-kins

Reaction score
I have two dwarf rabbits who are sisters. These are my first rabbits, so I’m still learning. I’ve had them for three years ( this year is the fourth year).
Pan, who is the bigger of the who has this weird habbit of pulling her chest fur out ( right under her chin)

She has been to the vet before and had a lipoma from her dewlap and now it seems like she keeps pulling in that area.
Second trip to the vet, he checked for everything possible. She has no fungal/flea/worm problem, its not a tooth problem, shes not nesting with it and as far as the vet can tell nothing is wrong with her.
On her worst days she’ll leave herself with raw open wounds. Whenever I catch her I will try to stop her, although now she just ignores me. Recently shes started to pick up her poo and ‘rub’ it into the same area?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? And how can I stop her?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 85A0BE13-8F17-40E7-ACF7-4244FD7B799F.jpeg
    85A0BE13-8F17-40E7-ACF7-4244FD7B799F.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
Something is obviously bothering her even if the vet hasn't found a cause. Have you had xrays done, skin scrape, or biopsy? If not, then I would start with a skin scrape to check for mites or other possible skin infection problems. Next would be to consider a biopsy of the skin and/or having xrays taken. If she's not spayed, there's the possibility of it being cancer that's spread. So xrays of her body might be needed. Or if she's not spayed, it could still be hormonal even though she's not nesting, and if so spaying her should hopefully fix the behavior. You may also want to have blood tests done if nothing else is showing a cause.

If you've already done all that, or even if you haven't done any of those diagnostics yet, I think I would go ahead and treat for mites anyways as it's going to be the most common cause for this behavior. I would treat with Revolution(selamectin, 12-18mg/kg). I would also have her put on daily meloxicam for any possible inflammation/pain, or you could wait to see if the revolution works first. Then see if those two things help at all. If they do, then you know it was mites or pain. If you stop the meloxicam and the behavior comes back, then you know it's from something causing her pain/inflammation. Another thing to try if those don't work, would be putting her on antibiotics or applying rabbit safe antibiotic drops or cream to the skin, and see if that makes any difference.

You may also want to read through these links. In some cases it's a behavioral issue from stress, boredom, or even it can be genetic.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Selfmutilation.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Mechanical/Mutilation/Mut_doe_en.pdf

Fantastic, thank you so much. I’ll definitely give those things a go and check her in for another vet appointment for those biopsys . She’s due to get spayed sometime in the next few months so hopefully that will sort it out if its none of the other things.

Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back