Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katienoelle11

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to come on here and see if anyone has any thought on my bunnies situation. I noticed her limping (not putting weight on her back foot) two days ago. She was acting completely normal and happy before that. We took her to the vet last night; and see had an X ray done. The vet said he was very concerned and hasn’t seen anything like this... and that it could be cancer or arthritis. She’s only 3 years old, but we did rescue her from the spca (they told us she was 2 years old at that time, we’ve had her for a little over a year) but I guess we can’t be positive on her age because we adopted her from the shelter. She’s always been active and happy. We’ve never noticed anything out of the ordinary. She’s a free roam bunny (indoors) she has her own room. She’s litter trained. We are devastated to hear this could be something really bad.... and we will hear back from the radiologist in 3-5 days. She’s home now and on pain meds, and we’ve restricted her movement to a smaller space to avoid further injury. I’d like to note that nothing happened to cause an injury, and the vet said it is likely something that’s been there for a long time and is just now bothering her. Any advice, insight on what it might possibly be would be much appreciated. I want to be prepared for the results... :(

thank you In advance

Attachments

• AF906B26-B1DA-4D7D-8431-1F9500DE4283.png
    AF906B26-B1DA-4D7D-8431-1F9500DE4283.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 7C9B3810-489A-4B44-B04C-13C1D868EDE8.jpeg
    7C9B3810-489A-4B44-B04C-13C1D868EDE8.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 6
Limping at that young age is usually going to be from an injury, even just a pulled muscle from running around could do it. But if your vet is sure it's cancer or arthritis, though possible, those would be unusual in a young rabbit. If your doe wasn't spayed, that could make her more susceptible to developing cancer.

Though arthritis isn't common in younger rabbits, it's possible. But treating with the anti inflammatory meloxicam can help. I had an older bun with arthritis and meloxicam really helped keep her more comfortable. If it is arthritis there is also something called adequan, that can be used to help reduce or minimally reverse the progression of the disease. One member on here said it really helped his elderly arthritic rabbit become more comfortable and active again. I know some have used glucosamine, but I have no experience with it.

Medirabbit (arthritis in rabbits)

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Arthritis

Latest posts

Back