My rabbit is lethargic and sneezing, please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisybunny

Reaction score
Something hasn't been right for several days now, I've noticed Alice, my female rabbit (not spayed yet, and she is just over a year old) has been more lethargic than usual. She still eats, drinks, and appears to be pooping, but she lays around more than usual and just seems very down. I've even seen her laying down to eat lately, which is unlike her. Another odd thing I've noticed is that she sneezes a lot, a few times a day at least. Her female companion rabbit I haven't heard her sneeze ever. Alice is completely black, but over the past several weeks I've been noticing little gray hairs on her back and shoulders. Is this normal? Could all these things be related? I need help. Thank you in advance!

They may be shedding right now. This time of year rabbits typically shed hair and sometimes it can look like the little patches you described. Please take a picture so I can get a closer look of what’s going on with your rabbits fur. Try to encourage your rabbit to move as much as possible and see if it makes any difference. Try contacting your vet by phone to see what they recommend. Maybe she could come in for a visit to get checked out, since she is very lethargic. Increase Timothy hay intake and keep her hydrated for now. Call the vet!

They may be shedding right now. This time of year rabbits typically shed hair and sometimes it can look like the little patches you described. Please take a picture so I can get a closer look of what’s going on with your rabbits fur. Try to encourage your rabbit to move as much as possible and see if it makes any difference. Try contacting your vet by phone to see what they recommend. Maybe she could come in for a visit to get checked out, since she is very lethargic. Increase Timothy hay intake and keep her hydrated for now. Call the vet!

I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning. She's still drinking and eating, and gets up and moves around to do so. Here is the best picture I could get of the grayish patchy spots of fur, the camera doesn't pick up on it too well.

Attachments

• IMG-1163.jpg
    IMG-1163.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 7
Sneezing and lethargy could possibly be due to respiratory issues, though in rare instances heart issues can also present with sneezing and lethargy. So if your vet doesn't find definitive signs of a URI like white mucous or other signs on infection, maybe ask about possible heart issues being a cause.

For the white hair I don't think you have to worry about it I have a girl she's mostly black (with white shirt and sock) and she has some white hair on her back, they look like grey hair indeed she didn't have them when she was younger, she's one year old now. I think it's just not related to her sneezing.

Hope there's nothing serious with your rabbit, by the way yesterday all my rabbits were very lethargic, including me myself as weather was pretty bad maybe magnetic fields or pressure drops or something, but we all were very sleepy.

I am back with an update! I got her in to vet, turns out she's perfectly healthy! It seems as though she has an allergic reaction to the scented bedding I recently started using in their pen. I switched out the old stuff with unscented paper bedding and we'll see how she does. Thanks for the helpful replies everyone :)

I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning. She's still drinking and eating, and gets up and moves around to do so. Here is the best picture I could get of the grayish patchy spots of fur, the camera doesn't pick up on it too well.
I have a black rabbit also and she’s getting hair like that too. She’s completely normal so I wouldn’t about her hair. My rabbits only 7 months old.
My bunny is also black and has those hairs. She is only 7 months old. She’s acting completely normal so I wouldn’t worry about the hair. If she is sneezing a lot and has running eyes, she might have a respiratory infection. If the sneezing is dry, she might just have allergies.

Latest posts

Back