My Rabbit is Drooling?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
I was petting my rabbit Clark today. I haven't been feeling well so I've been in bed all day and decided that it would be nice to have him with me for cuddles. He's a free range rabbit so I also stuck his litter box on the bed. Well he likes to lay his chin on my arm when I pet him. I started to notice my arm felt sort of tacky. So I moved him and noticed that he had drooled a little on my arm. It wasn't a large amount to the point that my arm was soaked. It was just a little wet spot. I rubbed his chin and noticed that it was warm and damp too. Is my rabbit okay?!

Are you sure it was drool and not wet breath? If you've got warm weather happening there, he could be overheating. Signs of an over-heated rabbit include a wet muzzle and chest.

Generally rabbits drool due to teeth issues, specifically molar spurs.

Yea it is a little hot. I have the lights off and the fan on but its still a little warm and it doesn't help that he's a black rabbit. I think that might be it!

Move him to a cooler place immediately and offer some water at room temperature, not cold. Place cool damp flannels across his ears, forehead and legs and mist his ears with cool water.

Here's some ways to prevent a heat stroke in the future:

Provide an area for him that is out of direct sunlight. A little shade can make a big difference in temperature.

Stone or ceramic tiles will provide a nice cool feeling on their bunny bellies.

Air conditioning can help alleviate those warm feelings.

Open windows that provide a breeze.

A fan can also be used, but do not have it blow directly onto your bun.

Groom your rabbit. Helping your rabbit to rid themselves of excess fur will help cool them down.

Freeze some water bottles and leave them out for your bun. They enjoy laying in the cooled air around these bottles and may even lick some condensation off the sides.

Water! Provide plenty of cool fresh water for him. You can add an ice cube or two and watch bunny happily lick at them.

Give ‘em a spray. Rabbits use their ears to regulate temperature, so by spraying some water mist on their ears you can help cool them down.

Never get the ears completely wet; a quick mist will do.

A cool damp towel draped over an area where they hang out, their cage perhaps. Make sure it is not dripping right on your rabbit

Veggies! Give him vegetables to help keep him hydrated. You can leave a little water on them after you rinse them off to add to their water intake.

Last edited:
Sometimes they can also get a wet chin just after drinking, especially if they drink from a dish, but this should dry up after not too long. Keep an eye on the wet chin, and if it keeps happening and isn't due to heat or drinking, you will need to have his molars checked by your vet. Rabbits can start to develop sharp spurs that can cut into their cheeks and tongue and cause drooling, and also can be painful to them and result in a reduction or loss of appetite, so best to catch it early before the problem gets worse.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/excessive_en.htm
http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-9/oral-health.html

Thank-you both! I'm trying to cool him off but he seems to always want to burrow into and snuggle up to my blankets? I can't keep him out of them and I'm worried he'll get hot. Also, I'm not sure if I could take him to a vet. We do have a rabbit savvy vet not too far but Dad doesn't like paying for a rabbit!

Drooling is often a sign of teeth issues. If you notice it again he definitely needs to see a vet to have his teeth evaluated.

Latest posts

Back