My rabbit is drinking and eating a lot!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutdabunny

Reaction score
Hello!
My rabbit has been eating a lot, about the same he has been eating for the past 2 months, but I thought it was because of his neuter. But the big issue I think is that he has drank almost 5 cups (1182milliliters) of water in the last 20 hours! It is 75(f) in my room. (23(c)) Could it be because its summer? Or still off because of the neuter? Or is it something else?

Are you sure he's drinking that much and it's not spilling or anything? Has he been drinking this much every day? How big is he, and is he a good weight or does he feel bony along his back and hips at all? What do you feed your rabbit each day?

He was 3.1 pounds 2 months ago, so most likely 3.7 lbs I don't think he is spilling anything. He also seems he can't hold in his pee anymore. His pee is completely clear, doesn't have a smell nor color, barely any even when it dries! Yes, he has been drinking this much for the past 2 months. He gets timothy, orchard mix. No veggies, we thought that was the problem, and we feed pellets as treats. We also have started the Sherwood digestive supplements

I can't remember, but is there a reason you don't feed more pellets? Does your rabbit have a salt lick, and if so, does he actually use it? How long ago was he last at the vet? Does he seem skinny and bony at all?

I just thought pellets were supplements, my rabbit does not have a salt lick, arent they bad? He went to the vet 2 months ago. He is haft netherland dwarf, so he's a dwarf breed. I wouldn't consider him bony, but I can feel his spine, you cant see it but you can feel it

They are a supplement, in most instances. Unless a rabbit is having health issues that might be related to this. I used to feed a pellet free diet to all of my rabbits, because a couple of them had digestive issues that pellets worsened. And they all did perfectly fine and were healthy on a pellet free diet. But I got a new rabbit that was only fed pellets at his previous home, and when I changed him to my rabbits pellet free diet, he lost weight and started drinking and peeing a ton, even though he seemed to be eating the hay fine. I was worried it might be his kidneys but decided first to try him back on pellets, and the excessive peeing and urination stopped immediately, and he put the weight back on. So that's the diet I stuck with for him because, for whatever reason, it's the only one he stayed healthy on.

So it may be that you need to try feeding your rabbit more pellets and see if that helps fix the problem. I would try increasing the pellets over the next week, to get to at least a 1/4 cup a day(possibly more even), and see if that helps. If it doesn't decrease the drinking and urination at all, then you are going to need to take your bun to the vet for a blood test.

Hello!
My rabbit has been eating a lot, about the same he has been eating for the past 2 months, but I thought it was because of his neuter. But the big issue I think is that he has drank almost 5 cups (1182milliliters) of water in the last 20 hours! It is 75(f) in my room. (23(c)) Could it be because its summer? Or still off because of the neuter? Or is it something else?
I am curious if you ever found out the cause of this or if your bun stopped drinking and eating so much. My holland lop was neutered 2 weeks ago and is doing the same thing. He is drinking and peeing so much it is crazy and is eating a ton of hay. I feed veggies and pellets(1/4 cup daily).

I suggest creating your own topic @smp explaining your exact situation so active users can comment.

Increased hay eating can increase water consumption (since hay is dry). What the urine looks like would be good to know too. Again, I recommend creating your own topic.

Latest posts

Back