My rabbit has sore hocks and her front legs arent straight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leslyv

Reaction score
My bunny has sore hocks and i put neosporin on all her legs and bandaged the back ones beacuse her front legs it always comes out but her front legs are to the side and theyre usually straight and she doesnt step correctly. She eats normally and drinks alot of water but she just doesnt step her front paws correctly so i have to correct her also she has sore hocks on her front paws as well and i just put neosporin on it for about 1 week now idk wat to do cuz shes not using her front paws but she can still move them

Since when does she do that front leg thing? How old is she? Have you been to a vet? What breed is she, lop, dwarf, rex or whatever?
What diet is she on?

Just guessing here, but if that is going on for some time now the sore hocks would be a secondary thing, not moving properly sounds more like a neurological problem, or something that causes that, well, like an ear infection in the best case, I really don't know much about that stuff though. Some here might give an educated guess, or recommend a rabbit savvy vet in your area (no idea what VA means). Good luck.

She can put her front paws straight but i think her sore hurt her so she doesnt step on the sores but weve been to the vet and they said that putting neosporin on it is ok but the vet is expensive and so i just wanna know wat else i can do for her sores to heal quicker. She has sores on all her legs and her back legs are bandaged with neosporin and i put neosporin on her front legs too but i cant badage it cuz they fall off. But she can put her paws correctly she just doesnt cuz it hurts her. Also her duet is good she eats alot of vegetables and pellets and fruit. Idk wat breed she is shes just ur typical american rabbit and shes 3. I just want her sores to heal so she can walk normally.can i give her aspirin or any pain reliever like in small ammounts?

Neosporin is alright but you should not use Neosporin Plus, which is not safe for rabbits. If you think your rabbit needs pain meds, you should be able to get some from the vet. Since your vet already looked at her, you should not need another visit to get the pain medication, just call the vet and ask. I think you need to look at your bunny's enviornment to see what contributed to the sore hocks. Was she in a wire bottom cage? Was she on concrete and tried digging on the concrete? Do you have pictures of her set up?

Maybe change the flooring? Carpet squares are useful because you can get them cheap or free and are easily replaced. Is it wire at all? Would they use a small dog bed? My bun loved hers as a baby.
Also, some bunnies are just more prone to it and you have to be extra careful with super soft flooring, so don’t beat yourself up!

Maybe change the flooring? Carpet squares are useful because you can get them cheap or free and are easily replaced. Is it wire at all? Would they use a small dog bed? My bun loved hers as a baby.
Also, some bunnies are just more prone to it and you have to be extra careful with super soft flooring, so don’t beat yourself up!

She has a cage with newspaper but i havent put her in her cage for a while now because i want her to be in my room since i treat her with neosporin original. But right now shes on top of a dog bed and a fleece. I just put her some socks ontop of her bandages so she wont pick on it. But yea she used to have urine scald on her butt area but i treated that and found out she couldnt pee correctly cuz of her sore hock she couldnt position herself. But now her urine scald is gone and can pee normally and its just her legs now with sore hocks. I hope the socks help too. But idk how to cover her front paws cuz it always falls off. So i just put neosporin and A+D original but itll just wipe off when i put her back. Also were tight in money rn i cant go to the vet so im trying to find any at home treatments for her sore hocks to be gone

Neosporin is alright but you should not use Neosporin Plus, which is not safe for rabbits. If you think your rabbit needs pain meds, you should be able to get some from the vet. Since your vet already looked at her, you should not need another visit to get the pain medication, just call the vet and ask. I think you need to look at your bunny's enviornment to see what contributed to the sore hocks. Was she in a wire bottom cage? Was she on concrete and tried digging on the concrete? Do you have pictures of her set up?
No shes never been on wire cages only newspaper but she hasnt been in her cage now shes with me in my room on a dog bed with fleece

Idk how to add a image but her sore hocks are pink now but she has a big scab but i think its better than before cuz before it was red and puffy but now its more pink and dry i think the neosporin og and bandaging and sock ontop of bandages is helping ill post a pic tmrw

Idk how to add a image but her sore hocks are pink now but she has a big scab but i think its better than before cuz before it was red and puffy but now its more pink and dry i think the neosporin og and bandaging and sock ontop of bandages is helping ill post a pic tmrw

I think the best way to help your bunny is to try to figure what there is in your bunny's environment that contributed to her condition, and then do something to change that. Please let us know if you want help figuring out what you need to change.

Latest posts

Back