My rabbit has red eyelids and he isn't eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superrabbit2

Reaction score
My rabbit is only more than a month old and he has an eye infection: his eyelids are red and irritated. He doesn't eat but we try to feed him and he would only drink water. He also tilts his head back then he would have seizure-like actions (i'm not sure if it's seizure because i've been doing some research and I'm still trying to find out what it is) what could be his problem? i don't really know how i could help him, i know a savvy vet would really help but there are only a few vets specialized for rabbits here and they're pretty far from where i live.

I'm not an expert but it does sound like you should get him to a vet ASAP. Is his eye infection being treated by a vet? If he isn't eating then it might be GI Statis and maybe he is in pain which is causing him to not want to eat. You may have to try syringe feeding him some of his pellets mushed up into a liquid/paste to try and keep his gut moving. GI Statis can turn deadly fast so you have to get him eating.

I recommend Vet asap. But I would call first. Not eating is an emergency, you can offer him everything he is used to, also wetted stuff or mushed up pellets. How long has he not eaten?
Keep giving him water now and then. You might need to force feed him if he doesn't start to eat by himself.

The more harmless, but still critical if not adressed thing could be heat stress, how warm is it where the rabbit is? Bring him somewhere cool, shaded anyway.

I don't know if that is an issue in the Philippines, but the symptoms, swollen eyelids, later on also ears, difficulties to breathe (head tilt back), sound somewhat like what I saw when my rabbits got Myxomatosis, if it's that prognosis is bad :(.
Also, keep him quarentined, and make sure you desinfect everything that comes in touch with him, it'S harmless for humans but you don't want it to spread it to other rabbits.

I think there is a philippine facebook group about rabbits, I would try to ask there if Myxomatosis is there, maybe user @FuzzyBunny ph can help with a link or so.
Try the search with the term "Philippine" to find more users from your country.

Latest posts

Back