My rabbit has been pregnant for ages??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcakexo

Reaction score
Hey All
I’m extremely confused as my doe was put with the buck from the 5th March, she appeared to be heavily pregnant about a week and a half ago like she was ready to pop! I separated her from the buck on the due date so she had her own cage and put a nest box in but strangely enough, she just didn’t give birth. She went back to being slim and her belly didn’t feel as “heavy”. Now she’s been back with the buck for 2 days, and her belly looks really full again like she’s pregnant and she has made a nest I think? (see pic)
This is her 3rd litter now. It’s so strange I know rabbits can reabsorb the kits but it’s like she has gone back to being heavily pregnant, so quickly? Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• FC766076-817D-404F-918C-91634F2383E2.jpeg
    FC766076-817D-404F-918C-91634F2383E2.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 7
Hey All
I’m extremely confused as my doe was put with the buck from the 5th March, she appeared to be heavily pregnant about a week and a half ago like she was ready to pop! I separated her from the buck on the due date so she had her own cage and put a nest box in but strangely enough, she just didn’t give birth. She went back to being slim and her belly didn’t feel as “heavy”. Now she’s been back with the buck for 2 days, and her belly looks really full again like she’s pregnant and she has made a nest I think? (see pic)
This is her 3rd litter now. It’s so strange I know rabbits can reabsorb the kits but it’s like she has gone back to being heavily pregnant, so quickly? Thanks in advance guys.

When they nest , they usally pull a lot of fur , i don't really see any fur pulled in the picture , so she might not be nesting YET .
I would personally take her her to the vet , anyway.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/pregnancy-in-rabbits-4171961

I agree with Jasminebunny, take your bunny to the Vet. It’s pretty odd if they keep absorbing their litters. The vet can confirm if there is babies or not. They may also be able to give great suggestions on pregnancies.

The problem with absorbing unborn fetuses is that it can leave the doe sterile. If you don’t know how to palpate then the vet can do a quick xray to see if she’s pregnant.

How much time was between she went to slim and fat again? Could be kind of false pregnancy now? You will see anyways. This reabsorbing happened to my girls at least twice Smokey was very pregnant and made a nest and all exactly on due date but never kindled, she just went to slim again in a few days. I don't know why I never took her to vets as she was healthy and happy. She had healthy litter a few months later with same buck, everything went really well and there were no mummified fetuses or anything. All 6 kits were/are healthy and doing really well, they are 8 months now

Latest posts

Back