My rabbit fits through the bar spaces in playpen!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Only day one and he’s finding lots and lots of troubling situations to get himself into to. The space bars in his playpen aren’t that tiny but they aren’t too big either. He’s a tiny rabbit (only 8 weeks old) and he attempted to escape. If I wasn’t there to catch him he would have!! The problem with this is we have yet to rabbit proof anything in ours house and the thought of him getting loose and hurting himself is causing me a LOT of anxiety. We put cardboard all around the outside of the cage hoping this will prevent him from being able to escape. I’m just very worried. We’re going to rabbit proof very soon!

I know that x pens are the best but in your situation if you have to leave him alone I would get the largest dog crate that I could find. I'm not an expert by any means but this is what I keep my bunnies in when I can't be home I have two cages .

Last edited:
Though I personally HATE working with hardware mesh. I always manage to get my hands cut up with it, and hate having to clip the wires. But it does work.

Easiest is posterboard or cardboard zip tied on. As long as it goes high enough up, your bun probably won't try and chew through... hopefully. Or if like Blue eyes mentioned about being able to see out, if you want that then maybe some plastic pet window screening zip tied to the outside could work as long as he's not a big chewer. Just cut to size with scissors and zip tie on.

^^ Yup! The mesh in my photo is actually a thick plastic mesh wrapped around the outside of the pen. (No cut fingers! 😃 ) The mesh openings are small enough that they couldn't get their nose in to chew it (though certain buns may figure out a way).

^^ Yup! The mesh in my photo is actually a thick plastic mesh wrapped around the outside of the pen. (No cut fingers! 😃 ) The mesh openings are small enough that they couldn't get their nose in to chew it (though certain buns may figure out a way).

I was thinking of the metal mesh. Man I hate that stuff 👿

Would this work??

Attachments

• 9CC8E45F-C26C-44B9-BD29-309594D36A16.png
    9CC8E45F-C26C-44B9-BD29-309594D36A16.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 5
Honestly I wouldn't use any plastic mesh you never know if your rabbit will want to chew on it, and it gets into his stomach. And this can hurt him a lot.

I would probably add a layer of cc grids around his pen instead. I avoid zip-ties where my rabbits can reach them as well, so use wire to fix them to the pen, I also use key rings or carabiner clips or other connectors, non plastic

ccgrids.jpg

I would probably add a layer of cc grids around his pen instead. I avoid zip-ties where my rabbits can reach them as well, so use wire to fix them to the pen, I also use key rings or carabiner clips or other connectors, non plastic

View attachment 54246
I don’t even think he can fit through it anymore but I’d rather be safe. Rabbits are troublemakers.

Just cheap hexagonal chicken wire additional to the existing grid, connected with wire woven through both would do. They can destroy chicken wire when they want, but in my experience they don't do it when there is an additional layer of stronger wire.

Plastic, or nets didn't work for me. But I use the chicken wire at the lower half of my 80cm chain link fences.

The time when they just barely fit through is the most dangerous, they don't realise that they grow and can get stuck.

Latest posts

Back