my rabbit died within a matter of a few hours showing no symptoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo_26ms

Reaction score
hello...im new in here and this is my first posting so I hope im doing this right lol. yesterday morning I got up and fed the rabbits like every other day. all was good. they were all showing normal signs and seemed happy as usual. I went to town a few hours later and came back within two hours. when I got back I noticed my female Flemish was just laying in her cage and that's not normal for her. I opened her cage and she was pretty much completely non responsive. she was breathing a little slow and her eyes were open but that's it. just an hour later she was dead. does anyone have any info on what would cause a rabbit to die that fast? please help. thanks

So sorry for the loss of your rabbit.

Just making a guess, but I would think a hear attack or head injury from something frightening your rabbit, is a possibility.

I don't think those are the cause. theres nothing that would have scared her. shes well secluded from any other animals with the exception of the other rabbits. im wondering if it was from fly strike. ive never heard of that til I did some reading this morning. is that a possibility?

Really there are lots of things that can suddenly startle a rabbit, and it may not even be anything scary. The rabbit would only need to perceive something as frightening. It can even just be a noise that startles them. But heart attack may not happen just from being frightened, it can also be from heart disease. There really are many possibilities for a sudden death, such as cancer, stroke, e. cuniculi. Fly strike is a possibility for sudden death, but you would find maggots and wounds on the affected rabbit.

The only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy done, and even then it could come out inconclusive.

Jenny is right, they only need to perceive a threat, whether it's a mouse running on the cage or a noise that startles them. Did you notice any diahrrea or loose stool before she died? Also, bloat can kill a rabbit pretty quick also. Without a necopsy it's just a guess.

she was a year old tops. I bought her several months ago from a guy here in town that raises them. was very clean and healthy when I got her and she stayed the same while I had her. im starting to wonder if the heart attack thing was the cause. I didn't realize they were that vulnerable to loud noises. I was running the nail gun earlier that day but it wasn't really close to them or anything. still very odd.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My little one passed away just under 2 weeks ago and I'm still devastated. Similar circumstances as yours... Very suddenly. Did you notice anything different about her that morning or the day before? We're eating habits normal?

I'm sorry for your loss also. I hope you can find out what is going on in case its something that could affect your other rabbits. I lost a mini siam satin in May and it's hard I know...

Take care
Vanessa

Latest posts

Back