My rabbit ate plastic bag please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maki_p29

Reaction score
My bunny was very jumpy/active over night in her cage and decided to bite a bit of a plastic garage bag that was near her cage. I tried to get her off it but she was very determined to bite/eat this one quarter sized piece of the thick plastic garbage bag.

she ate a lot of hay right after. I just gave her some baby gas drops through a syringe. She gladly took it. She’s been laying down a bit. She did sound a bit gassy but after giving her the drops I don’t hear anything else gas wise. Her breathing seem to be normal. She usually lays down this time of day and I feed her pellets a little bit later.

Any tips or advice? I do have critical care I could give to her a little later instead of her pellets. She just had her usual monthly acupuncture appointment at the Vet yesterday for her usual health conditions and that ate up the budget.

I’m going to keep monitoring her to see how she does. I really hope she can pass this….

If it was only a quarter-sized piece, your rabbit will likely be fine. Continue monitoring as you have been. Rabbits can get into things they are not supposed to, and typically if it's a small amount, they pass it just fine.

If it was only a quarter-sized piece, your rabbit will likely be fine. Continue monitoring as you have been. Rabbits can get into things they are not supposed to, and typically if it's a small amount, they pass it just fine.
Thank you for the reassurance. I’m worried about her. The garbage bag is the really thick kind and she bit it on the edge that has a crease (two sides of the bag meet and are attached to each other).

she kinda seems her usual self but she keeps getting up more and laying back down a bit more than usual. She also just started molting a few days ago.

I’m going to keep monitoring her closely. I really hope it won’t become a blockage.

What are your thoughts on starting critical care? Or should I try to see if she will accept her usual pellets?

I hate to say it, but even though I do my best my buns, Lawrence especially, will find things to eat that they probably should eat. Garbage bags, leather scraps, carpet, you name it. I've never had a problem with anything they've eaten, fingers crossed! Even when they eat "not food", they chew it up pretty small, and it just passes right through... That's actually why lots of people like the microfleece blankets... the fibers are tiny, and won't stop up their guts if ingested.

Just want to say again, I don't let them eat things they're not supposed to, but they still find a way...

Your bun should be fine.

Gas drops won't do anything for an ingested foreign object. And if she's eating normally, there's no reason to give Critical Care, unless it's something you want to do.

If it wasn't too big of a piece, it should just get pushed through with the hay/fiber. Rabbits chew on things, and usually it's not a problem. Lots of hay is the best thing to keep the digestive tract moving and clear out any fur or foreign object that has been swallowed. If she eats her hay well, temporarily reducing pellets slightly, as well as any sugary/high carb treats, can help increase hay consumption.

But I would keep a watch for lack of appetite and changes of behavior for the next several days. If she stops eating and shows signs of GI stasis, don't start syringe feeding. If she develops a complete blockage, then syringe feeding can add increased pressure to the digestive tract and make the situation worse. She would need to be taken to the vet.

yes how is the bun
Hi everyone! I want to say thank you for your support, encouragement and suggestions. My bunny made it through.

She did have a few moments that she was a bit uncomfortable and had saucy-poos but she’s back to her usual self.

I kept giving hay as many of you here had suggested and I also gave less food pellets ( to encourage her to eat more hay😆). Thanks for the help everyone.

I was dealing with some things going on in my personal life, I apologize for the late response/update. Thank you all once again for your help and patience!

Latest posts

Back