My previously successful doe is not willing to breed again, can anyone help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if i am in the right place... i need help with breeding my rabbits. I have 1 doe and 1 buck who a few months ago successfully had a beautiful litter of 7 bunnies and they were all perfect! so i know she is a good mum and takes good care of them. However i have tried breeding them again and had zero success :-( I put them together a few times and the first few times she just ran away and didn't give him a chance, but today i put them together and she seems to let him and they lays down so flat that he can't access where he needs to!!! why is she doing this, they go on for wuite a while and shes quite happy to hump him to show her dominace but when he tries she still doesn't let him. After long enough he looses interest and then i seperate them.

What am i doing wrong? why is she not responding? I know they can be successful but why won't they again?

if anyone can help or has any advise i'd be so glad to hear from you!! thanks

She's just not in the mood, they have their hormonal ups and downs. Guess her instincts say that start of winter is not a good time for that.

What I've read light can help, keeping the light on 24/7 for a week or so, and then try again.
Feeding a too rich diet is said to contribute to that unwillingness.

Did you put her in the bucks cage?
Never let a doe hump the buck, that can discourage him, and I would say since she is in that hierachy mindset she would refuse the buck.
Table breeding would be an option, I just let them in the garden together during daylight for as long as it takes (young buck needed 3 weeks to figure it out this spring).

She's just not in the mood, they have their hormonal ups and downs. Guess her instincts say that start of winter is not a good time for that.

What I've read light can help, keeping the light on 24/7 for a week or so, and then try again.
Feeding a too rich diet is said to contribute to that unwillingness.

Did you put her in the bucks cage?
Never let a doe hump the buck, that can discourage him, and I would say since she is in that hierachy mindset she would refuse the buck.
Table breeding would be an option, I just let them in the garden together during daylight for as long as it takes (young buck needed 3 weeks to figure it out this spring).
Thank you for your reply. I put them in the outdoor run which is neutral grounds for them both.
I'll try keeping the light on. Thanks

She is most likely actually being submissive, and it is a good sign that she is humping him. Have you noticed her lifting her tail? Sometimes when females lay flat they are actually wanting to breed. I would put them together on and off the next few days, and expect babies in a month since they are both proven 😊

Please look at THIS for tips & tricks for breeding... & here are some remedies to try also.

Last edited:
Just wondering your purpose in wanting to breed? way too many unwanted bunnies in the world
I know this question is not for me, but this is the Rabbitry & Show Room where we discuss all things breeding! I agree every breeder should have a clear goal. Please though, no hate as we all have personal reasons...

I am in no way 'hating' on you. Sorry if offended.
No worries :) I understand how you feel (especially owning rescues), as it can be frustrating to know there was an irresponsible breeder who did not take proper care of their babies. I don't believe this is the case here, though!

Good to know :)

Attachments

• went-for-my-first-ultrasound-today-turns-out-im-having-3397450.png
    went-for-my-first-ultrasound-today-turns-out-im-having-3397450.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back