My Poor Shadow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't put this in the Infirmary as Shadow isn't really ill as such.

Some weeks ago, Shadow stuck his nose through the cage bars and Jester bit it - and held on to it!!! There was a lot of blood, and I kinda freaked out, but once I cleaned the blood up, it didn't look bad, and Shadow was fine - didn't seem to bother him at all. The bite scabbed over, and when it dropped off, his nose looked a bit odd - like a bit mis-shapen. However, as time has gone on, it looks like the skin has died and as if his nose is 'dropping off'. (That sounds weird, but I don't know how else to describe it).

So yesterday we went to the vet. She gave him a full examination, and said that, apart from his nose, he's in great shape. But, he does have to have surgery to remove the dead skin :cry2. It's mainly in case it catches on anything and tears the skin, as it has already healed underneath. So, we go in next Monday :nerves1. The vet says it will be a very simple surgery, and he'll only be out for about 10 minutes, while she removes the skin and stitches it up, but I know I'll be a nervous wreck.

I'm such a bad mommy and I feel so bad about this :(. And he was such a good boy yesterday. He got loads of attention from people at the vets, and he was lapping it up. Normally, he is quite a shy boy, but he seemed to have a ball yesterday.

So, we could use some positive thoughts for next Monday. I tried to get a photo of his nose, but everytime I turn the camera on, he sticks his face into it and tries to lick it. I may be able to get one later.

Jan

I am sorry. I will be thinking about both of you. t is always scary when your bun has to have surgery. Keep us updated.

Oh Jan, poor Shadow. And to think Jester looks so innocent.

I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Susan:pray:

Oh poor Shadow. You are not a bad mommy. I know you will be a nervous wreck on Monday. I laughed how you described the way you took Shadow in the car on your way to the Vet yesterday.

Let me quote what you told me, 'On our way to the vet yesterday, I opened the top of the carrier, and he put his paws on my shoulder and looked out the window all the way there (John was driving ;)). Got some funny looks when we pulled up at traffic lights.' :D

Here is a picture of Shadow during his stay with Pebbles in February. You can see on the tip of his nose where the bite is. There is a scab that was hanging on the end. Given time, I thought it would dry up and fall off. But it has been awhile now, and it remains on the nose. So it is better to have it surgically removed than it getting ripped off.

2ahf8jo.jpg

Jester is going to be so jealous to see Shadow getting all the attention at the Vets. You better give him some Craisens to keep him occupied. ;)

He looked out the window like a doggy? That's adorable!
I bet people did look over and think... OMG A BUNNY! LOL!

I agree about Jester... I think something else came in and bit Shadow.... Jester could never do that! *wink*

Aww poor baby....i have a similiar story about Josie which i will write about when i make a new blog.

Will be thinking about Shadow

And Jan...you are not a bad bunny mum

Aw, poor little man! I'll bet that hurt. Rory's got Skyler more than once on the face, luckily things healed up fine but I totally understand the GUILT! Hopefully Shadow will be just fine :) And I agree, Jester looks way too sweet to bite.

It's not your fault. Bunnies like to bite. :shrug: I even got bit on the nose by Tony the other day. I hope the vet can clear that up.

Thanks everyone :hug:

Lol! Yes, Jester looks such an innocent little thing, doesn't he, but I think he is a Demon in bunny fur, when it comes to other rabbits. He is as cute and sweet can be with people, but doesn't seem to like other bunnies - not even Stan's Pebbles :shock:. I guess, coming from a house of 200 rabbits, all having to fight for food, attention etc that I can understand it.

Shadow really enjoyed being in the car, looking at everyone yesterday. You could see people doing a double take when they saw him :D

Stan, Shadow's nose looks worse now that the scab has dropped off - like it was the scab holding his nose together :(. I am having trouble imagining what it's going to look like once the skin is removed - it's quite a big area. Hopefully, John can take a photo tonight so you can see how it looks.

Thanks again, for all your support!

Jan

Jan, I am so sorry to hear about all of Shadow's troubles. You would never have been able to predict Jester's actions and the problems the bite caused. Please be thankful that the bite didn't turn into a life-threatening abscess or anything along that line.

Hopefully, this ten minute surgery will be the end of it, and Shadow will be able to go on his merry way. He sounds like a little character... :DWill keep you and Shadow in my thoughts and prayers for next Monday.

:pray:

myheart

I am sorry about Shadow's little nosey! I can understand your feeling of guilt, but it wasn't your fault. Bunnies can be unpredictable (or too predictable, depending). You had no way of knowing that Jester was going to be a naughty bunner!

Well, we got some photos, but they still don't really show how it looks 'in real life'.
2.jpg

Side view - you can see how it kind of hangs away from his face instead of being flat

4.jpg

And close up

untitled.jpg

And the culprit, looking as though he could do nothing wrong!!!

6.jpg

Jan

LuvaBun wrote:
Stan, Shadow's nose looks worse now that the scab has dropped off - like it was the scab holding his nose together :(.
It does look worst since the last time I saw him. :(

I brighten up the pictures so you can see them better.

2im1g0p.jpg

29xvo01.jpg

2mxleu1.jpg

OMG his poor little nose. It is so hard for me to imagine sweet little bunnies doing that. I believe it, I have a mean bunny too but they are so small and sweet looking. I hope his nose heals fast.

Latest posts

Back