My parents are scared of RHDV2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called my vet the other day and they said they do not administer this vaccine at their clinic, or anywhere in the state for that matter. One can only hope that with the spread of it in the U.S. veterinary clinics will be proactive and get bunnies the vaccine!
yes the vaccine is not legal in the us for some stupid reason... farmers are nice and all but sometimes just have no hearts...

yes the vaccine is not legal in the us for some stupid reason... farmers are nice and all but sometimes just have no hearts...
I believe it is not approved by the USDA yet, which is probably why it's illegal. Hopefully soon!!!! Fingers crossed.

I believe it is not approved by the USDA yet, which is probably why it's illegal. Hopefully soon!!!! Fingers crossed.

i doubt it honestly because so many farmers use it and it we got a vaccine a lot of them wouldnt be very happy... but who knows? we can pray :)

I was just saying this to someone yesterday. An unheard of mutation of the Coronavirus strain killing thousands, killer hornets, RHD virus potentially killing our beloved buns in the U.S.? UGH. HOW MUCH WORSE CAN THINGS GET?! I pray mother nature heals herself and we can all get back to "normal" soon!!

I was just saying this to someone yesterday. An unheard of mutation of the Coronavirus strain killing thousands, killer hornets, RHD virus potentially killing our beloved buns in the U.S.? UGH. HOW MUCH WORSE CAN THINGS GET?! I pray mother nature heals itself and we can all get back to "normal" soon!!
the hornets have been here for years lol my family had huge swarms of them last year. they dig they're holes underground and the rain covers the holes. they wont bother you if you dont bother them. some teenagers found out and started posting on instagram and it got out of hand. they come out for one month of the year. just one month. then they go back in the hole and you dont see anything from them for another 11 months. they are very picky where the live so not a lot of areas will see them. dont freak out lol and yes i pray that one day we'll be done with this mess.

There is a lot of bizarre things happening. In the US some state will be reeling from COVID death toll and on the news that night they are expecting a tornado, a flood, huge fire, etc. Its really is odd. At least if something were to put bunnies in old danger, new danger or projected danger, someone in this forum would alert others. Bunnies are not a very common pet in US. The states are dogs, cats, horses, birds, reptiles, fish, gerbils/hamsters/ferrets and maybe on bottom rabbits. If anything people raise meat rabbits. Gross. Thank goodness for this forum, Alarec thanks the forum too. So much collective experience and sage advice. Cool beans.

i would check if your county has a problem with it before they freak out! olivia told me it wont be a big deal like at all if the bunny stays inside! just keep her in "quarantine" i guess you could call it from any farmers who use it like duh and just browse around on google and see what you can find! when i have to convince my parents of something i always do a ton of research then make a google slide! i put the laptop on the tv and give a presentation! its cheesy but always works!
Luckily my county doesn’t have a problem but it still could spread :(

Luckily my county doesn’t have a problem but it still could spread :(

don't worry about it to much.. just keep him inside and you'll be fine! its nothing to worry about unless its a problem in your county!

House Rabbit Society is covering this carefully. We want our companions to survive. As a wildlife rehabilitator years ago, this deadly disease likewise breaks me in two. I'm carefully monitoring where our supplies come from.

Hi, I have a question on this. I live in Michigan so a bit removed from where this is currently happening. But on a rabbit food website I read they are or are going to start sterilizing the hay before it ships. And they had a message they source it in Utah so not be worried. I originally thought just keep the buns inside, which we do anyways. But I order hay online, and didn't think of that as a potential threat. Does anyone know if this vendor is just trying to be reassuring or if we need to be mindful of where supplies originate? I wish I could remember what site in was on, but I don't remember right now.

I contacted my vet about this for more info and this is what they sent me so I just wanted to share it with all of you.

Attachments

• USDA RHDV2 factsheet.pdf
    381.8 KB · Views: 8
I would be mindful of where your hay is sourced from, ShadowRunner. RHD2 won't stop unless a vaccine is allowed and widely distributed for our beloved domestics.

- I wasn't able to find the online source or hay supplier in Utah. Please post if you recall or come across the statements made.

Latest posts

Back