My parents are scared of RHDV2

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Vancouver, Canada and the virus is/was a huge issue. The vaccine comes from France and two years ago there was such a global demand that I had to wait a couple months to get in on the second importation. The virus spreads like wildfire and there is no cure. 36 hours of screaming before death. It can be transmitted on feet or car tires, flies, just about anything. Even though my buns are in my apartment I get them vaccinated annually. I'm taking no chances. At a no kill rescue locally, one bun got the virus and they had to immediately euthanize over 60 buns and incinerate their dwellings. I highly suggest pursuing this with your vet before it hits your area. Any rabbit savvy vet in Canada can tell your vet how to obtain the vaccination. Btw, some people think the virus is deliberately introduced into areas that 'need' rabbit control. 😩

I'm in Vancouver, Canada and the virus is/was a huge issue. The vaccine comes from France and two years ago there was such a global demand that I had to wait a couple months to get in on the second importation. The virus spreads like wildfire and there is no cure. 36 hours of screaming before death. It can be transmitted on feet or car tires, flies, just about anything. Even though my buns are in my apartment I get them vaccinated annually. I'm taking no chances. At a no kill rescue locally, one bun got the virus and they had to immediately euthanize over 60 buns and incinerate their dwellings. I highly suggest pursuing this with your vet before it hits your area. Any rabbit savvy vet in Canada can tell your vet how to obtain the vaccination. Btw, some people think the virus is deliberately introduced into areas that 'need' rabbit control. 😩
I'm so thrilled to know you can get the vax in Vancouver... I go to school just south of the border during the winter months (an hour and a half drive tops) next time I'm up there I'll see if I can get an appointment with an office that carries the vax and get it done, The appearance of the virus is starting to make me nervous and I'd love to nip in in the bud! Thank you for the heads up!

There’s a vaccine? Do you know if it is available on the Olympic Peninsula? I’ve been mildly worried about it, since my rabbits are outside and they like to take themselves on adventures. (Escape artists, the both of them.)

There’s a vaccine? Do you know if it is available on the Olympic Peninsula? I’ve been mildly worried about it, since my rabbits are outside and they like to take themselves on adventures. (Escape artists, the both of them.)

I think she means Vancouver, BC not WA! Man do I wish! I spend half the year in Bellingham and have not found anywhere that carries ANY bunny vax! Good luck!

I think she means Vancouver, BC not WA! Man do I wish! I spend half the year in Bellingham and have not found anywhere that carries ANY bunny vax! Good luck!
I figured they meant BC, I was just hoping it found its way to WA by now. Bummer that nobody’s been able to find one in the States yet.

Hi, I am in the US and saw on CNN this week that its here now. Unlike other countries, we do not have access to the vaccine. I am grateful, I always leave out kibbles and hay for the occasional wild teenager bunny. I cannot risk my bunny becoming at risk. How scary, it sounds like ebola, but for our beloved bunnies. So scary!

Its available in the UK i believe. Here is a screenshot of the CNN mention (US edition). I make masks for nurses, police and fire department and started on washable bunny mask just in case my bunny wants to go in my garden. He has lymphoma so I have to be careful of his delicate health. He has lost 1 lb from illness but in his case, that was 25% of his weight. I made him a little vest for nighttime for him. That virus is too lethal. Maybe I won't let him outside, it isnt worth it!

Attachments

• 20200311_162641.jpg
    20200311_162641.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20200518-125649.png
    Screenshot_20200518-125649.png
    437.9 KB · Views: 4
Even though you vaccinate your bunnies later, you will need to be careful and look out for news. The vaccine will just give the bunnies a fighting chance to not get too sick. I know a few that even though the bunnies was vaccinated they died but without vaccine there no chance for the bunnies to survive. I hope you will get vaccines, myself have always vaccinated my bunnies and been looking out for if there will be any outbreak near my area. Myself live in area with both RVHD 1 & 2 and myxomatos, so I need to keep up with the shots for my bunnies. I have both wild bunnies, hares and bunnies that once was domesticated (Bunny that had been released out to the wild and managed to survive and mate).

Bad news, I have called 3 different vets and thw vaccine is mot available in the US. Also, it seems to be a common misconception here that only rabbits in the wild can get this. I had a little wild bunny that used to sit right outside the f

So I was gonna get 2 rabbits, but since RHDV2 my parents have started to get reluctant to adopt at the moment. We are scared that the rabbits may catch it regardless of being inside the house. They are concerned that it will mutate and affect humans like with Covid-19(I doubt it). They won’t ever go outside until it goes away but we dont want a rabbit dying.... so my question is how do I reassure my parents, and how do I prevent it from affecting my rabbits? Is it a good idea to adopt rt now? I’ve been waiting for rabbits for 4 months!
i would check if your county has a problem with it before they freak out! olivia told me it wont be a big deal like at all if the bunny stays inside! just keep her in "quarantine" i guess you could call it from any farmers who use it like duh and just browse around on google and see what you can find! when i have to convince my parents of something i always do a ton of research then make a google slide! i put the laptop on the tv and give a presentation! its cheesy but always works!

What is RHDV2?

it is a like virus i guess for rabbits that farmers used to kill anything trying to get on its crops... sadly in the us the drug is used and since farmers use it the vaccine is not legal... check your area and see what you can find on the internet about your area! it wont be a big deal if your rabbit stays inside so dont worry too much!

I’m in Texas...
check your county! you can find many sites to do so! i also live in texas! not many countys have it and its only the ones far from the city pretty much!

I live in the US and we don't have access to the vaccine! I agree 100% that its essential. I will call my vet today and see if there is any way it can be specialty ordered. Vaccines ought to be available everywhere and anywhere.

I called my vet the other day and they said they do not administer this vaccine at their clinic, or anywhere in the state for that matter. One can only hope that with the spread of it in the U.S. veterinary clinics will be proactive and get bunnies the vaccine!

I guess my bunny is on lockdown inside. At least so far bunnies do not get COVID. I hope that with time the US vets will carry the vaccine for rabbit hemorrhagic disease. We are not used to seeing in the US. 2020 has really turned out to be pretty disastrous. Good grief. Thanks for the responses and advice guys, so appreciated.

Latest posts

Back