My Niece's bunny after neuter.... oh boy....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
My niece who has Bubbles, messaged me last night that since his neuter (a couple of weeks ago) he has gone from sweetheart to evil, mean bunny! He has dug her carpet, chewed it, chewed the wall, bitten her fiance' and bitten her FOUR times on her back!

Hormones? help? I told her to check his bottom for infection first, then she can work towards training him. I am having trouble with this cause Bo is hateful like that too and we just live with it.

She does push his head down a bit when he's being mean.

I agree that pain could be a cause. It could just be anger too at being put through something uncomfortable. The hormones will still be there for a few weeks (up to 6) so that can be a cause.

Last night she told me he was better - like he was grunting at her in a lovey way :) and he's not as grumpy. I think it's hormones..... but she has also been correcting him with head pushing but likely a combo of things.

I did tell her to check his bottom and maybe take him in for a recheck to be sure.

He's SO cute! I want to go see him in person cause I haven't had a chance...... She is in college...... opposite direction of my son's school! *sigh*

Well, I am planning to neuter my 3 year old angorra buck, Frabricio. He is soooo sweet, and we got along at first sight. He never try to run away from me, and he is just so calm. I don't want him to be aggressive like your niece's bunny. Anyway, how old was him? Jut curious. Do you know what is the bet age for bucks to be neutered?

They heal best when they're quite young--it's easiest to neuter them as soon as the testicles descend, between 4 and 8 mo of age. Usually, hormones cause aggressive behavior, although sometimes they can cause amorous behavior.

It's more likely that aggressive behavior will go away after a neuter. The thing is, the hormones don't go away in a male until up to 6 weeks after a neuter, and they don't cause behavioral changes until they've been present for a while.

So, a bunny that's young and gets neutered as soon as possible may not show aggressive hormonal behavior before the neuter. In the weeks after the neuter, the aggressive behavior may develop because of the hormones that are still present in his system. These hormones will eventually wash out and he'll be much less aggressive.

A bunny that's lovey-dovey may act a little less so after a neuter--that behavior can be hormonal as well, because he thinks you're his girlfriend. So, he may not lick you as much, or circle your feet, etc. However, my neutered male still does dances for me and his girlfriend bunny, and many neutered males are the same, so it's not for sure that he'll stop being so lovey toward you after a neuter.

If anything, a neuter will make a bunny less aggressive--not more.

I think Bubbles is getting better too! There have been a few changes in his surroundings over the past month and then the neuter so I am thinking that could all be part of his behavior issues. My niece is working more and going to school, my sister moved out and my niece is preparing for her wedding which I know anytime we have things going on that stress, upset, or anger us - the bunnies feel it. Bo knows for sure when I am sad and he'll snuggle to me and just lay there ..... when I'm not upset he plays and hops all over me and stuff. LOL!

Bubbles is a good bunny, but he is destructive!!! He's been much nicer with no biting or anything, but still is frustrating us with destroying the carpet, walls, dresser, BOOKS, and anything else he can get his little paws/teeth on. He stopped eating his hay, too. I'm going to try another kind of hay after I check out what types the farm store has this afternoon.

He actually let me pick him up the other day for about 10 seconds before hopping onto my bed. I think he was using me as an elevator...

I guess he could be picking up on our stress. Andrew and I are both out of our minds with stress because of everything going on: including the economy (jobless fiance), the wedding, grad school applications, classes, thesis work, research conferences, etc. It also doesn't help that we had to chase him around the room (it as a huge spectacle) to get him in his cage for a showing of our house (didn't want the landlord to see the free bun bun running around unsupervised)...I think it made him mad! haha...

He has binkied only once since the surgery...he runs around fairly frequently, though...but I wonder if something else is wrong. I think I'll make an appointment to do a check-up this week or next.

I think he'll get past this stage...I just hope sooner than later.

Latest posts

Back