My Newest Addition

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
So I am an avid horse lover. I started riding when I was 12 and have been addicted since. Well now, 9 years later, I can afford my own horse so I took the leap and purchased a horse this weekend!

She is a 5 year old quarter horse, never been ridden, and her name is Rio.

Rio the first time I saw her (before I bought her):
Rio.jpg

Rio at her new home (today):
RioMay16.jpg

Rio016.jpg

COOL! She's a dun! like Pokie's a red dun! She's very pretty! a bit on the *had a nice lot of grass to munch* side! she'll lose the tummy when you start working her a bunch! When she does, I bet she's going to be a gorgeous halter horse. She has a beautiful chest and neck. How tall is she? looks like she has a nice wither also! Gosh, she's so pretty! I love her name! She's registered? She reminds me of some horses with Impressive in them, but really reminds me of Pokie's line which has Doc Bar bloodlines.

I'm so excited for you! Congrats!

OH

MY

GOSH!!!!

She is stunning!!! She's 5 and never ridden? Wow...are you going to train her to saddle?

I am so in awe of you right now. :biggrin2:

I bought her as a project, I hope to be on her back in 3 weeks! She's ready for it, she just needs to learn to trust me before I'm going to attempt it.

She will be a hunter/jumper hopefully. No guarentee she'll be able to do it though but most Quarter Horses can jump at least small jumps.

BBB, yes she is very fat, but it's also how she looks in pictures. In person she looks a lot more solid and a little chubby, in pictures she looks very chubby, lol. But when I put asaddle on yesterday to check the fit,she's so round it slides off the side!

And yes, she's a dun, my FAVORITE color (well that and buckskin since they are almost the same). I haven't officially measured her but she's probably 15 - 15'1 hh. She's a very solid mare with a GREAT neck for english. She has the natural english frame at times, it shouldn't take much to train her to do it most of the time.

She's not registered, we actually don't even know 100% if she's a Quarter Horse. She looks like the Quarter Horses I've seen but she could easily be a cross as well but I don't really care. Her last owner bought her as a Quarter Horse but she doesn't have papers or anything.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
She's a very solid mare with a GREAT neck for english. She has the natural english frame at times, it shouldn't take much to train her to do it most of the time.

I thought that from looking at your pictures.:) I'm always very jealous of people who have horses with naturally good toplines.;) My Smokey is the hardest horse ever to put toplinemuscle onto!

Good luck with her training. I'd keep the faith for her jumping -I know nothing about Quarter Horses (we don't really see them in the UK) but I always believe that any horse can jump if it wants to,no matter whatits breeding. A friend of mine has an ex-trotter horse who she has now trained to jump 1.40 metres! He is a better jumper than most bigfancy warmbloods, and he's only 15.1 hh.;)

You'll have to keep us updated with how she is coming along. :)

Quarter Horses have a lot of power in their back ends and they can turn so fast, it makes them amazing jumpers if they have the ability to do the height. And not all horses can jump, well good anyways. I've seen horses that 'swim' over jumps (jump with their hooves out in front in stead of tucked up neatly under them, it's quite dangerous. And my friend has an Arab cross that I've jumped, she was very on the forehand (for anyone who doesn't know, that means it feels like I am constantly trying to pull her front end up and make her shift her power to her rear end) and she was the worst jumper ever, it felt so bad on her back.

But I also rode a Thoroughbred that was the worst mover on the flat ever, he looked horrible. But he was only 15 hh and could do over 4'. He was really good.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
I bought her as a project, I hope to be on her back in 3 weeks! She's ready for it, she just needs to learn to trust me before I'm going to attempt it.

She's not registered, we actually don't even know 100% if she's a Quarter Horse. She looks like the Quarter Horses I've seen but she could easily be a cross as well but I don't really care. Her last owner bought her as a Quarter Horse but she doesn't have papers or anything.

MAN! I wish she was registered. I bet she's related to Pokie (a lot of dun, palomino and buckskin have similar lines!)

She definitely looks solid, but I saw the roundness in her tumtum LOL! and it looks like there is a dip in her backline where her dorsal stripe is..... that's indicative of being overweight....... but it doesn't matter...... she's GORGEOUS! and you'll have her fit in no time at all!

Do you lunge your horses? we've found it's really a good way to start them in their training - and flexing her. Flexing has been a blessing for Dakota.

Oh yeah, that buttend of a quarter horse is what makes them good with cattle, reigning, racing..... but she definitely looks like she would do well in English! I'd love to see her lope!

There's actually a round pen where I'm boarding her but once she trusts me I will lunge her with her bridle and a surcingle and loose side reins, I like to make sure they are used to some contact on their mouth before I get on because I've seen too many horses freak out when their mouths are touched for the first time. Plus I will do ground driving with her and lunging is the basis of that too.

No doubt she could loose some weight, she definitely is chubby! But not nearly as chubby as she looks in some pictures. (You'd have to see her in person to really know what I'm getting at.)

Ooooh, she's gorgeous, chub and all! I want a horse. Quick question, is it reasonable to have a horse but not want to ride it? I don't really like riding horses but I love taking care of them and patting them and watching them do their horsey things.

It's no different than having a rabbit or a house cat really. But I like riding and I like having that partnership, I'm not sure I'd want a horse I couldn't ride, unless it was one I had for a long time and couldn;t be ridden anymore due to an injury or something.

See here is me lunging her yesterday. Her inside ear was all over the place, she was much more focused on me in the round pen today.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V96gmby_mlQ[/ame]

Congratulations on your new horse! I am partial to duns....

Can't wait to hear how breaking goes - I am waiting for the OK to continue working with my 3 year old Morgan Weatherly...

Denise

Wonderful! Sounds like you are on the right track with her! She looks cute trotting on the lungeline. She's a stocky girl isn't she? man!

I can't wait to see her lope. Kota has more of an English style trot but Lexi doesn't ride English so ......

YAY! I love Rio :)

Latest posts

Back