My new litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitLover13560

Reaction score
Hi im new to this group, i have 2 male rabbits and 2 female, one of the female rabbits is the mother and the other female is the mother's daughter, the male is also from the same mother, we think the siblings have got busy together, last saturday she gave birth to 5 babies, one was sadly born dead, at around 10 days when they are meant to open their eyes we had a late developer so thought nothing of it but then we seen it develop further and it cannot walk, it occasionally has fits, the mother has abandoned it and kept weeing on it so i took it upon myself to hand feed it but its full of energy, im not sure if its in pain and i dont want to be selfish so do i continue to hand feed it until it does sadly pass away or do i get a vet to put it down, i need advice so please no hate just wants whats best for my little floppy (baby bunnies name) the other three rabbits are healthy and getting the nutrients they need. I don't want any harm to come to it, i know rabbits can live with being deformed but this little one cannot move unless he slithers like a snake

Hi im new to this group, i have 2 male rabbits and 2 female, one of the female rabbits is the mother and the other female is the mother's daughter, the male is also from the same mother, we think the siblings have got busy together, last saturday she gave birth to 5 babies, one was sadly born dead, at around 10 days when they are meant to open their eyes we had a late developer so thought nothing of it but then we seen it develop further and it cannot walk, it occasionally has fits, the mother has abandoned it and kept weeing on it so i took it upon myself to hand feed it but its full of energy, im not sure if its in pain and i dont want to be selfish so do i continue to hand feed it until it does sadly pass away or do i get a vet to put it down, i need advice so please no hate just wants whats best for my little floppy (baby bunnies name) the other three rabbits are healthy and getting the nutrients they need. I don't want any harm to come to it, i know rabbits can live with being deformed but this little one cannot move unless he slithers like a snake
I'm sorry I'm not sure , but I hope you get some help on here x

I suggest getting Floppy to the vet. It doesn't sound like s/he is in good condition.

If it seems, or you feel the kit is suffering, then yes I would have it humanly pts. Usually if a rabbit is in significant pain, it will be reluctant to eat and will be lethargic and not inclined to move around. But having paralysis and not having use of it's hind legs, does not necessarily mean a rabbit is in pain at all. In fact paralysis will usually mean there is no pain there. So it's more about the rabbit being able to cope with the paralysis mentally and physically. If the kit is disabled but still seems to be happy to eat and be with it's siblings and mom, and still can manage to move around, then what needs to be considered is what type of life it can have as it grows up and who will this life be with?

Disabled rabbits can still have very rich and happy lives, but it takes a very dedicated owner with lots of time to devote to the bunny providing the extra care, attention, and love that it needs. There are lots of things that will need to be done to help this little one manage with it's disabilities like keeping it clean, preventing sores from developing where the body gets rubbed on the floor, daily physical therapy may be needed, extra vet care to make sure all it's medical needs are being managed well, one day possibly providing it with a cart to give it mobility, and spending a lot of time with it so it has an enriching life. So you will need to evaluate if you can provide this or if you have someone lined up willing to care for a disabled bun.
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

Latest posts

Back