My new bunny had scabs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbstratAsh

Reaction score
Hello I just got a new rabbit. And when I got home I noticed he had a scab on his lower back that was pretty big but where I got him from had other rabbits and guinea pigs with in the same enclosure. I am not for sure if it’s because they were crawling on top of him and maybe cut him on accident. There’s no fur loss anywhere. I am just worried because he is new I’m gonna call and see if they’ve had a problem with mites and ticks but I am not for sure. Can anyone help. I have another rabbit from them but they’ve never had scabs or anything like that.

Congrats on the new bunny! Would you mind posting a pic of the scab? As you've said there could be a lot of possible causes for such a scab and a picture may help us narrow down a possible cause. I would quarantine him from any other bunnies you have, to play it safe for mites as well as the RHV2 that's going around the states right now. It would also be a very good move to go get a check-up with your vet since he's new to you.

Congrats on the new bunny! Would you mind posting a pic of the scab? As you've said there could be a lot of possible causes for such a scab and a picture may help us narrow down a possible cause. I would quarantine him from any other bunnies you have, to play it safe for mites as well as the RHV2 that's going around the states right now. It would also be a very good move to go get a check-up with your vet since he's new to you.

here is a picture it’s the best I can get.When my girlfriend gets paid we are gonna look into insurance and a vet for him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 10
At a glance that isn't looking like a scab that would be a result of mites. Location and size-wise it does look perhaps like a bite from another bunny that was chasing him.

I do stand that given the rabbit hemorrhagic virus going around you should certainly still quarantine him from any other rabbits you have... it's always better to be safe than sorry. Be sure to wash hands well between handling him/his things and your other rabbits/their things.

The most likely cause being that he was with other rabbits, is either from a bite from fighting like Mac189 mentioned, or hormonal mounting behavior. When they mate, they grab onto the back of the other rabbit with their teeth. Usually it's just the fur, but sometimes skin will get grabbed too.

As long as the wound isn't infected, it should heal up fine in a couple of weeks. Though if you have any concerns, it's always best to consult with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Latest posts

Back