My new and improved Rabbit Room

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BethM

Reaction score
Over Labor Day weekend, I took advantage of the extra day off to re-do my Rabbit Room. Previously, it was not arranged well, so it was very cramped. There is now plenty of room to move around in.

100_2617.jpg

The rabbit room, from the door. The room is 9' by 15'. Hardwood floors with two cotton rugs.
Tobi's cage can be seen at the far end, with Ben just visible at the right. The white cabinet at the far end has buckets, a hand broom, and a litter scooper; the white cabinets at the left have food, treats, paper towels, and their webcam.
Two x-pens for fencing areas off, and a big rubbermaid container for hay.

100_2618.jpg

Closet in the Rabbit Room. Litter supplies in the big bins, with extra hay on the top. Shelves have extra building supplies, toys, medical supplies.

100_2620.jpg

Tobi's new pen. Previously, she had her condo, but had an x-pen attached. The NIC pen is larger; she gained about 3 square feet of floor space.

100_2622.jpg

Ben's new condo! I had wanted it to be all silver, but the only pack of old-style cubes "small square" cubes I could find was blue, and only one pack. So he got blue and silver. Previously, he just had the 3x5 cube pen, no condo. He now also has a fancy litterbox like the other bunnies. I hope this makes him feel more comfortable here, as his cage is no longer "temporary."

The plywood is between cages, to prevent Amelia from becoming agitated when she sees Benjamin. The white part on the wood is a leftover piece of coroplast. The top is against the wood, the bottom is between the cage and the lip of the coroplast tray. This keeps stray hay bits from the hay bin inside the cage instead of all over my floor. Every bunny has one of these now. (It also functions as a urine guard for Tobi, as she sometimes pees over the edge of her litter box.)

100_2615.jpg

Ground floor view of Benjamin's cage.

100_2635.jpg

Looking into Ben's condo. There's a step on the left, then a small area on the second level. There is another step between second and third level. Third level is L-shaped. Ben's condo is identical to Nick and Amelia's; Tobi has the mirror image.

100_2616.jpg

Nick and Amelia's cage, from the front. They are just inside the door of the room. The only thing new for them is the coroplast tray. I made a lip around it, that goes on the outside of the cage so they can't chew the edges. The lip prevents poops from rolling out. Woohoo!!!!
Every bunny got one of these trays. I wanted to do a 3" tall lip on all sides, but I couldn't get coroplast in a big enough pieces, so the long sides only have 1.5". Still good enough to keep the poops and stray hay inside.

100_2626.jpg

My Nick, running out of the cage! The door is in the middle, opening in.

cool..i need that, so tell me about how u clean it the if you would, with all the NIC on it how do you get "in" and such

and where did u get it???

Coroplast is corrugated plastic, looks sort of like corrugated cardboard. It can usually be purchased at a sign shop. Prices can vary widely, depending on your area. I've heard of it as low as $12 for a 4ft by 8ft sheet, mine was $30 per sheet. :shock: Call around to sign shops in your area to get prices. (You can also sometimes find it in different colors.)

Since it's plastic, it's pretty easy to clean. I use diluted white vinegar and paper towels for everyday cleaning.

To make the lip around the edge, I cut halfway through on the back side, then bent it up. Held the corners together with packing tape. (Thanks for the tips, Amy!) This lip around the edge is awesome, I haven't had any stray poops in the room since I made these!

To get the condo/pen inside the lip, I was just VERY careful with measuring. I measured the widest parts of the condo (the outside edges of the connectors) to get the inside measurement. The coroplast is relatively easy to cut with a utility knife.
My husband helped me lift the condo into the tray, and I positioned it then attached the pen portion.

GREAT thx...I ask cuz my girls still poop all over, and was concerned how to get the poop that is in a section that I couldn't reach with like a broom or something. I also clean with vinegar water, its that they r not as good as I want them 2 b on pooping in the litter box.

:embarrassed: Ya I totally missed the part where u typed that the flooring was coroplast in between those 2 pics, must have scrolled too fast:foreheadsmack:

Before I use the vinegar water, I use a vacuum to suck up all the poops and extra hay bits.
A hand vac can be good inbetween times, and I also have a small hand broom with a tiny dustpan that is great for a quick sweep near the edge off the cages and the open middle sections. (I find the bigger hay pieces clog my vacuum, so I sweep up the bigger pieces, then vacuum the poops and smaller pieces.

My bunnies are afraid of the vacuum, so I only vacuum once a week.

Looks so awesome Beth. I really need to find NICs. I keep looking but can't ever find them in target, walmart, etc. I like the floor with lip idea. It'd help a lot. Your space really looks organized and well made!

Thanks, April and Helen! I'm loving the coroplast floors. And I'm crazy about keeping things organized, so the new layout and materials are helpful. I LOVE not having stray poops all over the room!

kirbyultra wrote:
I really need to find NICs. I keep looking but I can't ever find them in target, walmart, etc. I like the floor with lip idea. It'd help a lot.
Have you tried Bed Bath and Beyond? The ones in my area have these:
The description says silver, but the ones I've seen are actually coated, and gray.
If you get on their mailing list, you can get those 20% off coupons in the mail, which would lower the price a bit. (Or find a couple friends who get the coupons and ask if they have any extras.)

There's one kmart in the city so I will check there. I haven't checked BBB but they're all over the place so I'll look there too. I joined their list a while ago and was getting coupons for a while then suddenly they stopped coming :( I have a friend who gives me coupons from time to time. Thanks for the suggestions! I hope I find them.

Helen, the BBB stores around me have those cubes in the same section with the plastic and fabric storage totes and such. There are fewer panels per pack than the Target ones, but they all have the smaller grids. There is also a version where the panels are solid metal with round holes in them.

Great room! I love the webcam idea to keep an eye on them. Silly question but what does NIC stand for?

You can find large coroplast sheets at some art supplies stores. I got mine from Charrette. It was a long time ago, but I think I paid less than $20 for a huge sheet. I called tons of sign shops, most of which had no idea what I was talking about or wanted to sell me a sheet for a ridiculous price.

Latest posts

Back