My mum has allergies to my rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollo’s Slave

Reaction score
We’ve owned rabbits for about a year and a half and have owned Apollo for almost 9 months. My mum has a history of allergies but while we’ve owned rabbits, she’s been fine with them so far, bear in mind allergies usually begin to occur a few day or weeks after owning the rabbit. But recently, my mum has been having strong symptoms of allergies, runny eyes, sneezing etc. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s hay fever season and Apollo (and his hay) are making it worse, or what it is
I’m not sure what I should do.
Any help appreciated 🥰

Hay allergies are far more common than allergies to rabbits. It is most likely the hay. (If a rabbit sits in hay, then, of course it will get hay stuff on their fur, but don't confuse the hay on the rabbit for the rabbit itself. )

Different hays can produce different reactions, and some may not cause any reactions. I would look into trying different types of grass hays to see which ones may cause little or no reaction.

Myself am allergic to bermuda but not to timothy hay.

For me this season of grass pollen/ hay fever is really bad, spending a few hours outside and I will feel drained and everything feel itchy (noise, eyes and throat.) At least here in sweden the hay fever season have been a higher level than other summers. Even though I’m eating daily antihistamin and takes eye drops for my allergy, I don’t like nose spray 🤣

So it might be because of the hay fever season combined with the hay. Often when you are allergic to hay/grass you can react to the bunnies because the pollen will stick to their fur and also they rummage through the hay so it will dust.

Myself had a few times I react strongly to the hay and would need to air the room or throw the hay away. I’m a person that love cuddling with my bunnies and press my face into their fur, so I want hay that don’t dust too much. But I only have a mild allergy, my friends react even to my bunnies even though they aren’t allergic to bunnies ☺

Don’t know what grass type I’m allergic to, I can only get timothy or meadow hay from the farmers. But there are truly a different between good batch of hay or a bad one with my allergy.

Hay allergies are far more common than allergies to rabbits. It is most likely the hay. (If a rabbit sits in hay, then, of course it will get hay stuff on their fur, but don't confuse the hay on the rabbit for the rabbit itself. )

Different hays can produce different reactions, and some may not cause any reactions. I would look into trying different types of grass hays to see which ones may cause little or no reaction.

Myself am allergic to bermuda but not to timothy hay.
Thank you! I also assumed that it could be the hay rather than the rabbit, because we’ve had him for so long. My mum doesn’t spend much time in my room where Apollo is, so I wouldn’t think that the hay would cause too much problems. I brought both Timothy hay and oat hay today (not combines), so hopefully it’s just the hay and time of year that is causing it. I’ll keep trying out some types of hays until she can get an allergy test.

For me this season of grass pollen/ hay fever is really bad, spending a few hours outside and I will feel drained and everything feel itchy (noise, eyes and throat.) At least here in sweden the hay fever season have been a higher level than other summers. Even though I’m eating daily antihistamin and takes eye drops for my allergy, I don’t like nose spray 🤣

So it might be because of the hay fever season combined with the hay. Often when you are allergic to hay/grass you can react to the bunnies because the pollen will stick to their fur and also they rummage through the hay so it will dust.

Myself had a few times I react strongly to the hay and would need to air the room or throw the hay away. I’m a person that love cuddling with my bunnies and press my face into their fur, so I want hay that don’t dust too much. But I only have a mild allergy, my friends react even to my bunnies even though they aren’t allergic to bunnies ☺

Don’t know what grass type I’m allergic to, I can only get timothy or meadow hay from the farmers. But there are truly a different between good batch of hay or a bad one with my allergy.

Thank you! It does make quite a bit of sense that it could be that pollen, dust and hay on Apollo could be causing it. Thanks ☺️

Latest posts

Back