My Mother forces my dwarf hotot to live outside PLZ HELP

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My bunbun Spot

Reaction score
Hello I registered for this app so that I can ask for help.... my parent are divorced and I live with my dad and I visit my mom every other week end and on Thursdays.I got two bunnys from my mom last July one was named Chase the other Spot I wanted to bring them inside because I had done tons and tons of research befor getting them and new that they would be safer and happier. My mother disagreed with me when it came to their care I had asked her several times to let them inside but she said no because they make ti much of a mess I also asked her to put a lock on the hutch they where living in she didnt and my precious bunny chase had escaped and my mother found him dead in my naiboors yard with his belly cut open of course I had an argument with my mom but she kept saying that it wasn't her fault and that she did everything she could. And my mom wanted to replace Chase(I had told her that I wanted to adopt not buy and she said we where going to the adoption center but instead took me to the breeder)I wanted to get a lion head that was the right age for us to take him safely but my mom wanted the pretty one and bought one that was 4 weeks old(I know you shouldn't take them away from there mom until around 8 to 9 weeks but my mom didnt listen to me)the baby bunny stays inside thankfully.but my mom is thinking about putting him outside with the other bunny when they dont even know each other I have plans to buy a exercise pen with my own money and put the bunny that is outside which is Spot inside by our couch because there is perfect space there if not then my own room with my sister I am trying to convince my mom to let me potty train Spot because the baby bunny is potty trained little and I want no messes i already clean the house every day and I am willing to clean the litter box and clean the hay around the house and.I want my bunnys to be able to interact with me and my family so that they can see how amazing bunnys are I have had pets all my life and currently I have been taking care of 6 chickens 2 chicks and two bunnys all by my self when I am at my mothers house I am willing to put them up for adoption if it means they can have a better life. I want some tips on how I can convince my mother iys seems I have tried every thing and now she doesn't even want me to talk about the bunnys around her

Hello I registered for this app so that I can ask for help.... my parent are divorced and I live with my dad and I visit my mom every other week end and on Thursdays.I got two bunnys from my mom last July one was named Chase the other Spot I wanted to bring them inside because I had done tons and tons of research befor getting them and new that they would be safer and happier. My mother disagreed with me when it came to their care I had asked her several times to let them inside but she said no because they make ti much of a mess I also asked her to put a lock on the hutch they where living in she didnt and my precious bunny chase had escaped and my mother found him dead in my naiboors yard with his belly cut open of course I had an argument with my mom but she kept saying that it wasn't her fault and that she did everything she could. And my mom wanted to replace Chase(I had told her that I wanted to adopt not buy and she said we where going to the adoption center but instead took me to the breeder)I wanted to get a lion head that was the right age for us to take him safely but my mom wanted the pretty one and bought one that was 4 weeks old(I know you shouldn't take them away from there mom until around 8 to 9 weeks but my mom didnt listen to me)the baby bunny stays inside thankfully.but my mom is thinking about putting him outside with the other bunny when they dont even know each other I have plans to buy a exercise pen with my own money and put the bunny that is outside which is Spot inside by our couch because there is perfect space there if not then my own room with my sister I am trying to convince my mom to let me potty train Spot because the baby bunny is potty trained little and I want no messes i already clean the house every day and I am willing to clean the litter box and clean the hay around the house and.I want my bunnys to be able to interact with me and my family so that they can see how amazing bunnys are I have had pets all my life and currently I have been taking care of 6 chickens 2 chicks and two bunnys all by my self when I am at my mothers house I am willing to put them up for adoption if it means they can have a better life. I want some tips on how I can convince my mother iys seems I have tried every thing and now she doesn't even want me to talk about the bunnys around her

I am so sorry that you are going through this. My parents were like your mother when I was growing up. I doubt that you can change your mother. My way of dealing with it was to find things I could do outside with my pets (I had pet ducks). Perhaps you can fence in an area around your rabbit cage where you can exercise your rabbits and spend time with them. If you like to garden, plant a garden by the hutch, so you can work in the garden and be near your rabbits. Perhaps you could grow things that are good for rabbits to eat. I used to take my ducks to my garden, and I would dig for worms while they sifted through the dirt hunting for them.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
I've had similar experiences with my parents, but not that extreme. Our first bun also started in the shed, and it was nicely locked at night, although dad had wondrously found him outside one morning-the floofer had escaped his pen and slid out one of the gaps in the wall, lucky he wasn't snatched by anything. He did eventually get to live inside with us. I had banded with my mum who had been in the right mood to discuss bunny with me, so it had happened right at midnight. Dad was grumbly about it but let Musti stay inside- i had talked to both of them many times how much better he would be with us inside. He had a mellow, sweet and loving temperament, was already neutered(as such also litter trained) and meant a crazy lot to me, they knew it so they allowed me to give it a go.
Few of the reasons i explained more deeply:
"He's already neutered although you said there's no need. See, it helped! I wouldn't tell you something that wouldn't help him. Besides, i paid for it, aside from dad doing the driving. I can't have liscenses yet anyway. What's left for you to fuss about?
He's neutered, don't honk at you, don't tackle you, don't spray you with pee, don't bang the bedsheets, he ain't that destructive.
Look how much he grooms himself! Do you still think he's dirty? Have a whiff, he don't stink one bit! He KNOWS where his toilet is, knows who to ask for food. He knows what to do when he wants attention.
If he's inside, we can see at all times what he does and does not, we get to see his character! It's not like we're gonna cook him, why not get to know him better? He's also a really important support animal for me, he deserves a great life. There's not enough space in the shed, the weather is as-is, his water will freeze in the winter, he'll be cold too. He doesn't have a bunfriend to cuddle with either.
You allowed me to get a rabbit, so you must also allow me to better take care of him. Don't come @me with your excuses now."

Talk to her more about it, or leave it be for a little bit. Do on the side the best you can for them. Try to get to the roots of why she doesn't like Spot inside, but will let the baby be inside. Start up a conversation trying to convince her of how the baby is doing great indoors vs outdoors, so why couldn't Spot come inside? If she doesn't listen to your talk, maybe provide her with a bunch of trusty links you used for your research. Getting them in english shouldn't be a problem. I had quite a hefty task for my native language, but that's beside the point. If that fails, why don't you try to get her on-phone with a rabbit-rescuer or savvy vet, they could be deemed trusty enough by almost any person. Is there absolutely no possibility for you to take them to live with your dad, maybe he will know better?
If your mum still doesn't listen then you just have to work "from the shadows," taking snippets of oppurtunity here and there.
If all else fails, then there's nothing much that you could do. Some people just won't change their stubbornness no matter what.

Also, for the baby bunny, it won't be litter trained forever, nor will it bond with Spot just like that. When that baby is anywhere around 4-8 months, depending on gender and breed, expect it to be a sassy teenager waking chaos and grime whereever it goes. Neuter/spay will fix most of it.
Best of luck with all of your hassles though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back