My mini rex had her babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarfGirl

Reaction score
well my thread about adopting a pregnant mini rex is missing, but she did have her babies a week ago. three of them. two of them died. the live one was cold to the touch and i took it out, warmed it up, fed it kitten milk, and put it back in with the mom. it stayed warm after that and she took care of it and it is very healthy so far. i sure could have used this forum during that first day!! i ve missed it really bad. i posted on another forum but it just wasnt the same at all. i didnt know what happened to this forum, i finally found it from that posting on yahoo answers. im glad i found it again! i hope everyone finds it too. ill post a picture of the baby soon.

Oh I can't wait to see that baby!!! I'm so very sorry the others didn't make it, but great job on warming up the remaining one!!!

i had gone to that other forum for help and everyone who answered told me no matter what dont touch the baby because if i touched it then the mom WOULD kill it and that its best chance was with the mother.

but i knew it would die if i didnt do something so i just used my own judgement. i know i saved the baby's life :)

the mother licks our hands and the baby if we hold it around her. she seems totally fine with it (we just started doing that yesterday).

Im so happy you found us!! We sent out a mass email but apparently a lot of people didnt receive it. We saw some posts on yahoo answers and were hoping you guys saw our response.

Im glad to hear the little one is doing ok. Im so sorry about the other two. Sounds like youre doing a great job though. I cant wait to see some pics of the little one.

DwarfGirl wrote:
i had gone to that other forum for help and everyone who answered told me no matter what dont touch the baby because if i touched it then the mom WOULD kill it and that its best chance was with the mother.
I was totally ripped into for the same thing. Sometimes those people that claim to have experience and knowledge are not right (the woman that ripped into me certainly wasn't, and neither were the people who told you that).

Well done for saving that little one, so sorry about the other two though.

It sounds like you are doing a grand job :)

I look forward to seeing the little one.

Im really sorry that you lost the other two. I cant wait to see pics of the little one, you sure did save its life! Just because some people breed rabbits they automaticly think they know everything after their first litter! Im glad you did the right thing! x x x

right before she gave birth another experienced rabbit person told me to seperate the males from females AS SOON AS they start hopping around andtasting solid food, even if they are still nursing,or the girls will get pregnant....

"As soon as they're up and hopping on their own and IMMEDIATELY
after they've
started eating solid food (even if they're still bursing every now
and then) ,
feel free to give me a call so that I can help you sex them. It's
really
important to seperate the males from females and the mother at that
point
otherwise even the BABY females can get pregnant that early."

That's bullcrap. The babies need to stay with their mother until they are 8 weeks old and then be separated. I currently have a litter of 7 kits, and they came out the nest and started eating at 2 and a half weeks old, that is FAR too young to be separated.

Please please take the advice of the knowledgeable people on this forum (I'm not including me in that, but I do know that people here know what they are talking about), because that will help your kits the best.

Good job warming that baby up!! You most certainly did save his life! Any experienced breeder or rescuer knows that cold babies are not the same as dead babies and they need to be warmed up asap.

I'm really glad to here that mom is 100% okay with you holding her little baby. All that people time will help him to be friendly and well socialized as an adult bunny.

You need to take some pictures for us!!

How is the nest that momma built? Lots of fur?

Is the nest in a box or just on the floor of the cage? If it's on the floor, it would be a good idea to transfer it to a box as it helps contain the baby to the warmth of the nest. Otherwise he would start cruising around in search of mom and could get cold and die.

The earliest I would take any baby away from mom is 8 weeks. 10-12 weeks is the latest I would keep boys in the same cage with out neutering. With my fosters, the boys, girls and mom all stay together but the boys get neutered at 10-12 weeks.

Sounds like you are on the right track and everything is going well.

--Dawn

Flashy wrote:
That's bullcrap. The babies need to stay with their mother until they are 8 weeks old and then be separated. I currently have a litter of 7 kits, and they came out the nest and started eating at 2 and a half weeks old, that is FAR too young to be separated.

Please please take the advice of the knowledgeable people on this forum (I'm not including me in that, but I do know that people here know what they are talking about), because that will help your kits the best.
dont worry, i knew that advice was ridiculous.

I thought you were educated and sensible enough :)

aurora369 wrote:
Good job warming that baby up!! You most certainly did save his life! Any experienced breeder or rescuer knows that cold babies are not the same as dead babies and they need to be warmed up asap.

I'm really glad to here that mom is 100% okay with you holding her little baby. All that people time will help him to be friendly and well socialized as an adult bunny.

You need to take some pictures for us!!

How is the nest that momma built? Lots of fur?

Is the nest in a box or just on the floor of the cage? If it's on the floor, it would be a good idea to transfer it to a box as it helps contain the baby to the warmth of the nest. Otherwise he would start cruising around in search of mom and could get cold and die.

The earliest I would take any baby away from mom is 8 weeks. 10-12 weeks is the latest I would keep boys in the same cage with out neutering. With my fosters, the boys, girls and mom all stay together but the boys get neutered at 10-12 weeks.

Sounds like you are on the right track and everything is going well.

--Dawn

yes there is lots of fur in the nest and it is in a box. i found the baby outside the nest box this morning though!her eyes arent even open yet. she was trying to nurse from the mother. now that i think of it she was probably dragged out by accident. i put her back in the nest. ive been trying to make sure she gets held a lot (i dont know the sex but i usuallyrefer toit as either he or she anyway).

can i take out the nest box as soon as the eyes are open?

here are pics:)

PICT0477.jpg

PICT0478.jpg

So so sweet.

It's probably better to leave the nest box there until the baby decides it doesn't need it anymore. Mine, at three weeks, have decided they don't want a nest and sort of dismantled it, lol, now they just sleep in a huddle together. so take your lead from the baby, I guess.

Flashy wrote:
So so sweet.

It's probably better to leave the nest box there until the baby decides it doesn't need it anymore. Mine, at three weeks, have decided they don't want a nest and sort of dismantled it, lol, now they just sleep in a huddle together. so take your lead from the baby, I guess.
the nest itself is actually already dismantled but theres still a bunch of hay in the box.

I wouldn't remove the nestbox until you see her not using it anymore. Because she has no brothers or sisters, she may still find her nest comforting.

Sharon

BTW - GREAT JOB!!!

If the nest starts looking dirty, you can change the hay/bedding out for some fresh stuff. Just keep a bit of the cleaner parts of the nest to put in with the new bedding so it still smells like her nest.

She looks so calm and happy all snuggled there!

How is mom doing? I can't remember how friendly or well socialized she was. Is she doing okay?

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back