My mini lop of 6 weeks keeps on scratching his ear

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfie&Karina

Reaction score
Hello!
I just got my mini lop two days ago. I was told that he was 8 weeks but now the breeder is saying that he is just about 7 weeks. The problem is he keeps scratching his left ear (which is down) and his right ear is positioned upwards. Would that be connected in some way?

I have never had a mini lop before! could you please let me know if it is normal or should we head to the veterinarian?

many thanks
Karina

Attachments

• 36F28DAE-A79A-41A4-A9B0-3A5C1AD6E2A9.jpeg
    36F28DAE-A79A-41A4-A9B0-3A5C1AD6E2A9.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 4
  • FBF56DB3-6107-4584-934D-459906AF10F6.jpeg
    FBF56DB3-6107-4584-934D-459906AF10F6.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 4
An uppy eared rabbit with one ear that is consistently hanging down, can be an indication of a health problem like an ear infection or heat stress. But your rabbit is a lop breed, so the down ear could just be his ears getting to the point where they start to lop and not an indication of a problem at all. Their ears lop dependent on their crown and ear placement, and how that is affected as they grow. Some babies ears will lop sooner, some later in their growth.

Though if your rabbit is seeming to show signs of excessive and consistent irritation and scratching at the ear, that can be an indication of a health problem. Like an ear infection, ear mites, or it might just be something as simple as ear wax build up. No way to know for sure without having your bun checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

Just to see if there is anything immediately apparent, I would try visually looking in the top of the ear canal with a light, to see if there are any signs of white pus, dark wax, crustiness, or skin irritation. And maybe smell for anything as well. Other things to look for would be an unusual lump at the ear base, and/or noticeably thinning fur and skin irritation from scratching at the ear base. But if in doubt, it's always best and recommended to consult with a good rabbit vet.

Medirabbit: rabbit ear infections
Medirabbit: ear mites

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

I would take them to the vet. I completely agree with what JBun said above.

Thank you very much for your advise! The bunny is super fine - I had nothing to worry about 😅

Latest posts

Back