My mini lop had a litter of 6 dead kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carains

Reaction score
Morning,
I have woken this morning and first thing I have done is gone to check on my doe. She has a produced a fantastic nest, but sadly her six kits are all dead. They look a bit long and ‘stretched’. I was wondering if this meant she trouble birthing them? Getting them out the birth canal? This was her first ever litter. I am fortunate enough to have never experienced dead kits before and was look for advice on this.
I have attached a picture as best I could ofone of the kits.

many advice of information would be greatly appreciated.
Should I not breed her again! I feel so genuinely sad for her.

The picrure did not come through.
Many mommas have a bit of a bad luck with their first litters, it just happens. Why would you want to breed her though?

Oh not sure why the photos didn’t come through.
I don’t have to breed her. This was an accidental breeding. I wasn’t planning on doing so with this doe from the get go. But it happened unfortunately. I was just looking for advice regarding it as I have seen so many conflicting bits of information. Some saying don’t breed her again, some saying breed her it will help. Very confusing! Or should I get her spayed straight away or as soon as allowed?

I have had rabbits all my adult life but have been very fortunate not to have experienced any dead kits until now.

It’s not unusual for first timers to have a failed litter. It doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be bred again, but since this was accidental you don’t need to try to breed her again.

If she is intended as a pet rabbit and the litter was an accident, i would say to not breed her again. I don't really think that she would benefit anything from being bred again, she has no use for ''the experience'' of motherhood. Besides, if you were to let it happen again, she would need a few months' rest, and what would you do with the litter then?
You are better off booking a time to a rabbit-savvy vet for her spay, whenever they give you the time is when it's okay.

It’s not unusual for first timers to have a failed litter. It doesn’t mean she shouldn’t be bred again, but since this was accidental you don’t need to try to breed her again.

Perfect, no I definitely don’t want to breed her again. Was just so confused by all the conflicting information online!
She was booked to get spayed but when I took her that’s when I was informed she was indeed pregnant. She has never been purposefully put in with a buck so can only imagine one of them got the other from their outside enclosures.

If she is intended as a pet rabbit and the litter was an accident, i would say to not breed her again. I don't really think that she would benefit anything from being bred again, she has no use for ''the experience'' of motherhood. Besides, if you were to let it happen again, she would need a few months' rest, and what would you do with the litter then?
You are better off booking a time to a rabbit-savvy vet for her spay, whenever they give you the time is when it's okay.

thank you for your helpful advice. As replied above to another comment. I definitely won’t be breeding her. And she will be booked in again to be spayed as soon as it is seen to be best for her. I have spoken to the vet today. So hopefully, not long and she will be spayed!
With this unexpected litter, I actually built another three enclosures in preparation, as I intended to keep them as an added bonus few pets. I have two out buildings with 3 mini lops and prepared the second for them. But it’s easily reversed.
just glad mum is doing ok x

It does happen that does lose a litter, I have only good experiences with first timers though, problems popped up some years down the road. One doe had a messed up litter at 3 years, 16 discernable kits in all development stages, her next litter was fine though. Had to get an emergency spay with that doe at age 7 because of an accidential litter and a stuck kit, she's fine now. there were other problems over the years, but all in all I'm pretty lucky.
Since yours is a pet spaying is definitly a good idea, especially if there are any bucks around. I once got a litter from a wild buck that squeezed through the fence, and last year I found a neighbours pet buck inside my fenced in hutch area in the morning - twice.

It does happen that does lose a litter, I have only good experiences with first timers though, problems popped up some years down the road. One doe had a messed up litter at 3 years, 16 discernable kits in all development stages, her next litter was fine though. Had to get an emergency spay with that doe at age 7 because of an accidential litter and a stuck kit, she's fine now. there were other problems over the years, but all in all I'm pretty lucky.
Since yours is a pet spaying is definitly a good idea, especially if there are any bucks around. I once got a litter from a wild buck that squeezed through the fence, and last year I found a neighbours pet buck inside my fenced in hutch area in the morning - twice.
Oh wow! That sounds quite similar. I believe not all of these were at the same development stage as some were very obviously smaller then others and didn’t look as ‘formed’ as a couple of the others. Yes I will definitely be getting her spayed. She is just a pet and staying that way. My other doe was a breeding doe, and produce a fantastic litter.
this girl was definitely just a pet. As I lost my last girl a few months back at the age of 7. Always need a pet bunny in my life. They are such fascinating little animals full of character. I always wanted them as children and was never allowed, soon as I moved out as an adult I got my first rabbit and have been hooked ever since!
picture of her attached.

Attachments

• 153C4241-C5B2-47D8-B8F0-EC6AF28A5959.jpeg
    153C4241-C5B2-47D8-B8F0-EC6AF28A5959.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 7
Much comfort to know your girl is doing okay. Treasure the time you have and remind her how fortunate she is to have your devotion to lifelong care.

Collaborating with overcrowded shelters and volunteering at a shelter where rabbits were killed/euthanized routinely opens your eyes to all who are unable to experience the TLC and love of a forever-human.

A rabbit-savvy DVM is an essential partner in lifetime care of your fur-babies.

From the article link posted above: (For a balanced view, be sure to take the kids on a field trip to the local animal shelter's euthanasia rooms so they can also witness the "miracle of death".).

@Carains I hear ya! Hubby and I always admired cottontails. I became a cottontail rehabilitator after retiring from my job as an admin assistant. Never thought of adopting rabbits to become part of our family.

Both hub and I came from backgrounds that included other species of pets.

Gosh, I immediately fell in love with lagomorphs from then on. Much Love to buns who experience your devottion and love!

Latest posts

Back