My lop had babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna Standar

Reaction score
My lop bunny has had babies, I peeked and see two. Could be more. I've never seen her with them, but it's day 6 now and I do see movement in the bed. She's covered them in so much fur it's hard to see them, and I didn't want to uncover them. If theirs one that died, do they take them out?? What happens?
I read that they only nurse twice a day, so I guess I've never caught her, hoping she is.
Is it ok to pick them up and check on them?

My rabbit had 2 babies on Saturday night and I picked them up to move them to their nest then picked them up to check general health and to see if they had big bellies which would indicate that mam is feeding them . She still feeds them and cleans them after me handling them . I am very close with my bunnies and she really trusts me so I dont see why you couldn't touch them.

My rabbit had 2 babies on Saturday night and I picked them up to move them to their nest then picked them up to check general health and to see if they had big bellies which would indicate that mam is feeding them . She still feeds them and cleans them after me handling them . I am very close with my bunnies and she really trusts me so I dont see why you couldn't touch them.
Ok thanks. She has them in a dog bed that has a cover (three sides is attached, I just adopted her Oct 25th, she was pregnant when I brought her home. She's very affectionate with me..so I will check today.. So what about if one passed..Does she do anything with it?

Hi, that should be no problem, I usually check on day 1 if they are all active and fat, if you don't want to upset her you can ask her out and give her something to keep her busy for a while and check the nest while she can't see it. I only had one dead baby once and I found it out of nest half eaten on day 1 so I can't guarantee but think she'd remove dead babies from the nest by day 6.
If you had patience until day 6 maybe you can wait a few more days they will open their eyes around day 9 and will start leaving nest around day 14.
Depending on your mother, one of my rabbits was very protective and territorial so I had to feed her elsewhere and check the nest while she didn't see it, I did every day it was my first litter I just covered them as they were before and she kept nursing them no problem. You can remove her from her hutch for a few hours so she can't smell you after, I always wash my hands before so there's no smell of other rabbits on my hands.

Other my rabbits were not too protective and even liked that I am taking their babies and say that they are beautiful, they looked happy and grateful, licked my hands, only one was over protective.

Hi, that should be no problem, I usually check on day 1 if they are all active and fat, if you don't want to upset her you can ask her out and give her something to keep her busy for a while and check the nest while she can't see it. I only had one dead baby once and I found it out of nest half eaten on day 1 so I can't guarantee but think she'd remove dead babies from the nest by day 6.
If you had patience until day 6 maybe you can wait a few more days they will open their eyes around day 9 and will start leaving nest around day 14.
Depending on your mother, one of my rabbits was very protective and territorial so I had to feed her elsewhere and check the nest while she didn't see it, I did every day it was my first litter I just covered them as they were before and she kept nursing them no problem. You can remove her from her hutch for a few hours so she can't smell you after, I always wash my hands before so there's no smell of other rabbits on my hands.

Other my rabbits were not too protective and even liked that I am taking their babies and say that they are beautiful, they looked happy and grateful, licked my hands, only one was over protective.
Ok, thankyou

I found a dead one and the other is fat and healthy looking...good thing I inspected

So just two babies? You need to keep the baby warm as normally they keep warm each other now you need to give some extra attention. I've just read they are in dog's bed maybe you can take a pic do they have hay or something in there? You can place a hot bottle/s under or around the nest it is important that the baby is warm all the time

Also it can be wet I can't see from here but normally you put some absorbing material under the nest like wood pellets and wood shavings and then hay so they don't lay in their urine all the time, make sure it is dry and warm.

You hit Upload a file button next to Post reply button and follow instructions

Thats to take the photo, I've already got photos..I guess I can't use what I've already got.

No you press Upload a File and then choose one file from your computer then press Open and it will upload your file then will ask if you want it posted full size and you say yes and post your comment, it should work

Just tried to upload one myself, here's Bernie with her kits, they are 7 month now grew up a bit since then :)

P1040388.JPG

I don't use a mobile version sorry can't advise maybe someone knows how

In the mobile version, there should be the upload file button right next to the post reply button. You click on it and then the device will normally ask you where you want to take the photos from, files or camera. You then choose files and take the photo, insert whether the pic should be thumbnail or full size and voila! Photo uploaded!

I've separated my male from her while she's with her baby. It's a week today and I want to get him fixed next week.
I was wondering, after he's fixed, will they still get along? Does it ruin the bonding if he's gone for too long?
They have been together for two years and only fought because of him trying to mate.

It most probably will, so you would have to rebond them once the kits no longer need mom's milk

Latest posts

Back