my first vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicky Snow

Reaction score
today i took my 3 month old baby Kweli to thevet for the first time. i phoned around my area andwasdirected tothe "best" exotic vet. we went for acheck-up, and to confirm the sex. everyone there was really nice,including the vet who couldn't be exactly sure, but thought Kweli was agirl. She said that sometimes the testicles can go up? She thenconferred with another vet who said Kweli was "probably" a girl. Ok sothen the vet called an assistant to help with the cutting of the nails.(i didn't do this at home cause the nails are dark and i can't see thequick well, my other bunny Rue has white nails, and she's easy to do.)So the nail cutting couldn't get done cause the assistant was holdingKweli with one hand under her front paws, and the other on her stomach.after the first clip, Kweli super kicked and really scratched up thevet and the other girl's hand. Now i felt bad cause Kweli has supersharp nails, but also i was kinda mad cause they weren't holding herbum securely, so of i told them that she wants her bum supported, andthe vet said that if not careful, rabbits can kick so hard they mightbreak their back. now i was stressed and said that maybe i should holdher. vet said no. ok. no more nail cutting, but alot more kicking andscratching, so the vet called off the exam so Kweli could calm down.that's it! now i felt bad the vet and other girl got scratched, but i'mnot so sure i should go there again. the vet was concerned aboutKweli's safety, good, but not being able to tell sex for sure, notholding/supporting rabbit well, and giving up?(Not getting a fullexam)Does this sound ok to any of you? Should i go thereagain with Rue? Or am i just being a nutball? I really want the bestfor my girls. Please help. Thanks,

Nicole.

If you feel uncomfortable at all, don't goback. Good bunny vets are hard to find, if you have anotherone to try, I'd do so. I know I've gotten VERY lucky with thegem I've found in a bunny vet!

I personally have reservations simplybecause they couldn't even get her nails clipped. Follow yourinstincts. If I were you I would try and find a better more rabbitsavvy vet.

Tina

Hi Nicole,

In Edmonton, there are some pet shops that offer nailcutting. For an annual fee of $10 to $15 you can cut as manytimes you want with any number of pets you have.

For vets, ask alot of questions. Ask if they knowrabbits, or if they can recommend one to you. Go tothe animal shelter and ask if they can refer you toone. You should also check for an emergencyhospital and see if anyone can handle rabbits shouldthe occasion occurs.

Rainbows! :)

You can also try shining a light under your bun's nails to see the quick so you can just do it yourself.

thank you very much guys, and i'll be sure totry that light under the nails. it's hard to trust someone with mylittle ones, i mean, of course i know that vets have education andexperience, but no one knows my babies like i do. and i was soconflicted cause the vetwas very nice and caring and answeredall my questions, but for $80 and a bunch of maybes and most likelys,it didn't seem worth putting the bunny trough all that stress. (i wasprobably more stressed out than she was) lol to all you guys, it's niceto know that you are all here, and that you all love your buns as muchas i do.

Nicole

Don't go back if you havereservations. "Exotic" vets don't always know much aboutrabbits, either. Call around to different vets, exotic andregular small animal vets, and ask them if they work with pet rabbitsand how often. There are other questions you can ask,too. I'm at work so I don't have the website, but there is alist of questions to ask a vet on the House Rabbit Societywebsite. It should help you find someone you will feel morecomfortable with.

I agree with Tina totally... If htey couldn't cut her nails, or hold her properly, i'd be worried.

Follow your gutt, it'll tell you what to do.

I go to the Bowmanville Hospital, and Dr.Korver is AWESOME! But that's a bit far for you...

GOOD LUCK!

:monkey::monkey:

i haven't made an appointment yet, but i didcall for some info. i'm just nervous about the long car ride. my carair conditioning is broken so i think i'm gonna wait tillthis heat wave dies down. the weather here is crazy hot isn'tit? Also CrazyMike referred me to a vet in Burlington, and they mightbe a bit closer to my house.

Thank you both for your help!!!! Now i just gotta make some money toafford the vet.i have just splurged and bought a huge cagefor my little baby. (She loves it, but Rue is mad jealous.) the newcage is now on the other side of the room, just in case Kweli is a boy.

both my little rascals are perfectly healthy, and very spoiled, so iwill give it a week or two before i make an appointment. i'llbe sure to let you guys know what happens. Thanks again!

ps- i got a camera this week to get some pictures of my munchkins, and i can't wait to share them with you all.

pps- And, my little baby Kweli is really starting to love me. Rue and ihave a special bond and i was wondering if Kweli and i would too. untila few days ago Kweli just kinda ran around, and didn't really careabout much cept for food and water, but now she shows me lots ofaffection, and she knows i'm her mama!!!

Nicole

Latest posts

Back