My first 4 months with Daisy Mae

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning All
As a new bunny mum, I thought I’d share my first 4 months of learns and thoughts.
Firstly I’d say this forum is so helpful for little questions that come up.

Daisy Mae was 9 weeks when I had her from my cousins farm, I just fell in love with her. I was worried about her non stop. Was she eating, was she alright at night and so on.

she has a lovely 2 storey hutch that she cheeed initially but stopped within weeks. She’s now set up all her areas for toilet etc she has a large run on the grass which she loves racing around and jumping in

I did give her a few greens from before a lot of people said because she had been having them on the farm but I’m talking a little bit of homegrown cabbage and mint. Ive kept her food simple after a bit of a scare when I bought some different food

I give her the scientific junior pellets and now introducing the adult ones as she’s now 20 weeks. She has a small bowl in a morning and small one in an evening. I have treated her to some nice hay for eating. Mix of meadow and Timothy I give her and she loves it. She has very occasional treats of a bit of cucumber especially whilst it’s been hot and ive grown a mint pot near her hutch which she knows when I’m tearing it off for her 🤣 and my dads homegrown cabbage. She likes water out of bowls and bottles, it doesn’t make a difference.
As I was made redundant in March I’ve been able to spend a lot of time with her and all friends and family that have met her cannot believe how friendly she is. She comes running like a puppy it’s so funny. She’s outdoor but I have bought an indoor run with a floor in for rainy days so she gets a race about
She loves her nose and sides of cheeks to be rubbed she’d let me do it for hours if I had the time. About 2 months ago she started licking my hand and arms when if first go to her in a morning, she then nudges me to strike her head 💗
I felt guilty not having 2 rabbits but I spend a lot of time with her, I also read about cuddly toys and found a dog toy that was a rabbit. She’s loves him!!! (My niece has called him Peter lol) she’s carries him by his ear, dragging him round the hutch and run. She lies next to him, it’s so funny. I also switch up what toys she has, she loves running through cardboard boxes and those wicker balls she runs round with them in her mouth! Also be prepared for your grass to get lots of holes in it! Daisy also loves my parents dog, she’s always wanting to get at her when she visits, I think the dog was more nervous of Daisy 😉
I’m no expert but my words of advice would be to observe them, get used to their habits and give them lots of attention initially, it will be worth it. I wouldn’t over complicate their food either, shes never hungry if there’s hay about!
So that’s my first few months as a bunny owner, I absolutely love Daisy Mae,she makes me laugh so much and is such a little character!! Here’s a few pics of her (and Peter lol) I’m biased but I think she’s an absolute beauty!

Attachments

• AE930A0C-0BF6-4204-BC14-D0BFA154A1AE.jpeg
    AE930A0C-0BF6-4204-BC14-D0BFA154A1AE.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 82DBB996-E356-4FB1-A471-E50FBCFC10EB.jpeg
    82DBB996-E356-4FB1-A471-E50FBCFC10EB.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 320D7C79-3856-4DA8-8B98-F832E3F46905.jpeg
    320D7C79-3856-4DA8-8B98-F832E3F46905.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 9
  • D173A12B-7FCF-4B62-B374-7FD2F59FB903.jpeg
    D173A12B-7FCF-4B62-B374-7FD2F59FB903.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 10
  • 4CB5E654-BC5F-4A90-A094-32EB1033E75C.jpeg
    4CB5E654-BC5F-4A90-A094-32EB1033E75C.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 10
My hamster is named Daisy Mae! 😁 she's a beautiful bun. Trust me, I thought our rabbit needed a friend and so we adopted another after 2 days of testing them together at the bunny rescue. That all went to crap the minute we got home. Almost a year later and they tolerate each other at best. We love them both so we kept them both always separated. Had I known then, i don't think rabbits always need another rabbit especially if you or other pets are around enough.

My hamster is named Daisy Mae! 😁 she's a beautiful bun. Trust me, I thought our rabbit needed a friend and so we adopted another after 2 days of testing them together at the bunny rescue. That all went to crap the minute we got home. Almost a year later and they tolerate each other at best. We love them both so we kept them both always separated. Had I known then, i don't think rabbits always need another rabbit especially if you or other pets are around enough.
My bun was single for the first almost three years of his life. He was given up to the rescue after his previous owners couldn't bond him with their male rabbits. Just before his third birthday, I adopted his girlfriend, and for me, it was the best thing that I had done. His girlfriend passed away in early january this year, so we are on the hunt to find another for him. Not all rabbits want to have a friend (my bun was one of them for 3 years), but it is definitely worth giving it a chance.

Well we have good taste in name picking then lol i have heard stories like that so I have decided to stick with one! Have a lovely day

Latest posts

Back