My female rabbit nipped me when she was growling at another female!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChocoClover

Rabbit Geek
Reaction score
I was taking my two females out. Shirley was in the playpen and Snowball was on a leash. Snowy (very quickly) moved to the pen and growled at Shirley. Shirley tried to bite snowy through the bars. To keep Snowy's nose safe, I pulled her back. She freaked out and gave me a territorial warning nip, then calmed down when she was separate from Shirley.

AAAAAAACK! Is there any way I can keep them from trying to KILL EACH OTHER when they are nearby? I like to take 2 buns out at the same time. I can't spay them since I'm a breeder (I will only spay them when they are past breeding age, and then they will become pets and I will bond them) but I still want to bring 2 out at a time. The one that's on a leash always figures out a way to get to the one in the pen, usually by pulling the leash out of my hand. Yes, they are mini rexes. I don't understand how they can pull that leash from my hand!

I do have a male, but a similar situation occurs when I have them both out. The bunny on the leash pulls away and the two bunnies circle the pen madly, searching for a way out so they can breed. They get really excited and I feel bad for them.

I don't want the bunnies to get overexcited or TRY TO KILL EACH OTHER, so does anyone have tips? They have to be somewhat nearby so I can watch the one in the pen as well as the one on the leash. I like to have 2 out at a time because I have school (this will not be a problem in the summer) and I am busy sometimes.

Help please!

I'm not sure how the playpen is set up, is there anyway for the rabbit to get out of it? If not, you should be able to leave whichever rabbit you have in there and go walk the other rabbit somewhere else. Or you could set up two playpens. Rabbits that aren't fixed are going to fight so there isn't much you can do but you have to be careful, two does or two bucks can kill each other.

none of my rabbits are fixed, I have many playpens set up for them all to have a separate place to get exercise in and I can go inside or do other things while they're in there. And I have had a few scares where my bucks have nipped at each other so I know how you feel!

The one thing I worry about with the playpen is birds. The bunnies can't get out and ground predators can't get in, but birds are a real problem where I live. I have lost chickens to hawks.

I am going to build another playpen, but I can't yet. I don't have the materials and I have to wait until I get my summer job to buy them. They can't kill each other, but I'm also a bit worried that the one in the pen could climb the walls if there's a bunny of the opposite sex outside.

I suppose I could take them out separately, but that would mean that they each would get less outdoor time.

Yes. Again about the summer job. I have to pay for the top. I guess I could probably use a blanket. It's not like it will be rained on...

Latest posts

Back